Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To activate the reverse camera I have to hook up the reverse light switch.
Question is..... how do I find that? Mines an automatic so can I access it from underneath the car or maybe via the shift lever tunnel from inside the cab?

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
38 Posts
Why not just go from the rear lights, as by law you mist not be able to reach the switch from the driver seat. This may change state to state but look into it.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
To activate the reverse camera I have to hook up the reverse light switch.
Question is..... how do I find that? Mines an automatic so can I access it from underneath the car or maybe via the shift lever tunnel from inside the cab?
All you need is a 12v feed which is only on when in reverse etc. As the camera is usually located at the rear the easiest and shortest route is to use the reverse lights feed, just pull the left tail light out and tap into the reverse light.

·
Registered
nissan
274 Posts
I used the first setting on my head lights for a feed that way you don't have to be in reverse for the camera to work

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,571 Posts
Not sure about newer GUs but in the earlier ones the easiest wire to get to is the yellow with grey dots in the passenger side kick panel.

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Suggest you use the power from the reverse light but add an override so you can use the camera even if not reversing. Such as keeping an eye on your trailer etc
On a manual car maybe add a delay time or cap to keep it on for a second or 2 after going out of reverse.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Kenwood unit says to tap into the reverse light switch on the gearbox. This makes more sense because the head unit is mounted above the transmission tunnel also.
I only want the camera to work when I'm in reverse...not when going forward or when my lights are on.

Can I access the reverse switch just by removing the plastic gear stick surround from inside the cabin? Or do I have to crawl underneath?

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
The Kenwood unit says to tap into the reverse light switch on the gearbox. This makes more sense because the head unit is mounted above the transmission tunnel also.
I only want the camera to work when I'm in reverse...not when going forward or when my lights are on.

Can I access the reverse switch just by removing the plastic gear stick surround from inside the cabin? Or do I have to crawl underneath?
Im sure someone on here can dig up a link to a wiring diagram for a newre model GU.

The wiring from the gearbox on an auto all runs along the transmission an up into the engine bay, then through a main big rubber gromet in behind the motor and into the cabin up behind the drivers side near the centre side of the steering column (ours are right hand drive, not sure if you are left hand over there?).

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Plus being able to turn the camera on while at the lights in the city is a bonus too :)

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Goerdie.....I have seen a number of schematic drawings but was hoping for confirmation of the physical location of the switch.
I'll try my luck this weekend...another sweaty one by the looks of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts