Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 automatic Safari TD42. Are the reverse lights and reverse beep activated by the inhibitor switch on the side of the transmission?

Cheers,
Paul

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the automatic Safaris I have seen have reverse beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep........

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
I thought it was an add on too. I am planning to use the hot wire on the beeper as a relay trigger for some better back-up lights on the wife's rig.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, sorry I ment all Japan spec autos. My Dad's Mits Gallant (Japan spec) in Jam is the same and I believe Jam requires it for autos.

Never did tell me what the "hold" is on the auto.....

·
Registered
Nissan
586 Posts
I have seen it on some Japanese suvs, but i assumed it also was and add on. I will check the wiring in the manual if it was an option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Talking of beeps
whats the beep when u turn off the egnition?
mine is imported from japan. its a five speed and no beep (luckely) when reverse.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The patrols it on werent auto though.
Ask around if all vehicles (auto or manual) in Jam are required to have reverse beep. If so then it is an add on for the Japan spec manuals. Other markets not sure.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Talking of beeps
whats the beep when u turn off the egnition?
mine is imported from japan. its a five speed and no beep (luckely) when reverse.
Where are you?

None of mine beep when ignition is turned off unless lights are on or key is in ignition when door open.

None of my 5-speeds have the reverse beep.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
i think i saw them on ebay once, but i saw somewhere globes that have the beeper built into them.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, there are globe with beepers. Reason I am asking about what controls the reverse lights/beeper in the auto Y60 Safaris, an acquaintance has to push forward against the reverse lock to get reverse lights/beep. Just trying to sus out whether it's the inhibitor switch or another switch under the console.

·
Registered
71 Posts
well. my one beeps (beep beep beep pause beep beep beep pause beep beep beep)
as soon as I have removed my key from the ignition
it sounds like a arlam device ( whitch I don't have) is set.

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
My 1989 Auto Safari definitely has the reverse beep. I haven't taken the time to find where the wire is to shut if off yet.

In regards to a beep when you turn off the ignition - my stereo does that as a warning to remove the face plate of the head unit for security reasons.
Is it possible your current stereo does the same - just a thought.

Canuck - would love to hear how you go with the extra set of rear lights, as that sounds like a top idea (very simple) in regards to the switch wire for the relay.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought it was an add on too. I am planning to use the hot wire on the beeper as a relay trigger for some better back-up lights on the wife's rig.
Why wouldn't you use the reverse light wire for this?

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Hi Twinotter. My thoughts exactly. Must be too simple. If you already had a good feed to the back of your 4x4 for fridges etc or a ciggy socket, use the feed off that for your new lamps and the original reverse lamp feed to power a relay - hey, simple. Cheers, Derb.

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
well. my one beeps (beep beep beep pause beep beep beep pause beep beep beep)
as soon as I have removed my key from the ignition
it sounds like a arlam device ( whitch I don't have) is set.
Mine does this, it's the engine immobiliser. Stick your head under the steering wheel and you will see a box with lots of wires zip tired up there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts