Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Kaymar Dual Arm carrier is fitted I can move on with the reversing camera. The reversing sensors will become redundant now since there are too many obstructions close to them to give off a reliable warning.

Of those of you who have a similar set up to mine...where have you mounted your reversing camera?

Thx guys.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,168 Posts
I have seen one in particular on a cruiser where the camera was mounted on the bar right behind and slightly above the tow hitch, made it real easy to back up to the trailer and gave excellent vision straight out the back when the trailer wasn't connected.

·
Registered
nissan
87 Posts
Mine is mounted under the high mount stop light. Works good. My son mounted his on a bracket so it looks out from the spare wheel. This also works good. You just have to be careful putting the spare wheel back on though. He has had no dramas.

·
Registered
Nissan
92 Posts
I mounted mine the underneath the jerry can holder. Looking at your car in the pic above that would be best under the cream coloured jerry can on the right hand side of it. The cables run underneath the holder and pop in through the left hand tail light.

I can send a pic of mine tomorrow if it helps?

Regards Ed.

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
I have seen one in particular on a cruiser where the camera was mounted on the bar right behind and slightly above the tow hitch, made it real easy to back up to the trailer and gave excellent vision straight out the back when the trailer wasn't connected.
yer, that's where I have my camera mounted in my ARB rear bar. works good. I wanted it to be in the centre of the vehicle, mounting on one of the swing arms wouldn't allow this.

I just drilled a hole in the bar and mounted in the bar itself, neat and conspicuous.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42
174 Posts
I have mine just to the right of the rear door leaver, but from your photo the second jerry can is in the way.
Another option would be next to the centre brake light behind the window facing down, then you would not have worry too much about dust getting into tghe works of the camera.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got a bit carried away after Another car and I reversed into each other. The insurance company ended calling it 50/50 so I used some of the money the excess would have cost and bought 2 cameras. One to look straight back and one to look down to see how close I am getting to stuff. Can switch between them on the screen. Tried to figure out best place to put them and one day bumped into a freind who is an NRMA Patrolman. He suggested the roof like on his work van. After thinking about angles and and hardware ended up with something that works for me. Very happy. Image straight back is very like rear view mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy cow! That's some set up you have there and the mounting system is a symphony in steel! I just want to mount a reversing camera though....not make 'Home Movies' from the back of my truck LOL!

I'm still lacking behind in mounting my camera untill I can find the reverse light switch location :-(

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
20 Posts
Very nice CJP!! What's that connector passing the wires thru the roof??

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I went with the advice of mounting the camera inside the car besides the interior brake light....routing the cable up inside the trim panels...very neat and tidy job.

One draw back...my windows are tinted with a 30% film which makes everything brown through the lens. The solution was to trim out a port hole through which the camera see's. Job jobbed :)

Next.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
37 Posts
Reverse cam

So I went with the advice of mounting the camera inside the car besides the interior brake light....routing the cable up inside the trim panels...very neat and tidy job.

One draw back...my windows are tinted with a 30% film which makes everything brown through the lens. The solution was to trim out a port hole through which the camera see's. Job jobbed :)

Next.
Streaky, can I ask what type of camera you ended up mounting? Any pics?
Cheers

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Hi Streaky,
I am also about to do the same thing. I have bought three different style cameras. One will be on the front wind deflector in front of the camper so I can check for roof clearance when I drive in the driveway at home or in a car-park etc, just to be sure I am not going to damage the fiberglass camper on anything.

The rear camera, I have not decided on yet. Either it will be on the roof rack or inside the rear window like you have done.

Any photos of your rear inside camera mounting?

·
Registered
Nissan
275 Posts
I have mine here as GU2 has mentioned, brilliant for reversing onto trailers and has a nice wide angled view. A mate has his sticking out from under the number plate, pointing on a downward angle but restricts your view a little.

Attachments

Reactions: white patrol
1 - 20 of 22 Posts