Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hizit lads,

Anyone out there knowledgeable on the following two types of shackles and any other cool mods to leaf sprung set ups's...

1: Revolver shackles

2: Boomerang shackles.

Of course, i've read loads of stuff online which has been a mixture of praise and slander against these items, and i understand the principals and "claimed" benefits, but i'd like to know from people who have actually seen them or used them in harsh condition like Australia / South Africa .

Shot
Russ

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
ARB many years ago were selling a simular type thing to this boomerang shackle but it was done in a triangle shape same thing, i still have them on my rig. Do they work better than standard probably not but they are a lot stronger and dont twist.

Now for the revolving shackle this isn't new either in the 90's i purchased a set from a company in the US or Canada "Metal something" cannot remember the name but made for jeeps. i had to modify them to fit the patrol i think, well i had to do heaps of stuffing about with them anyway in the end they were binned as a couldn't handle corragations. For rock hopping and tar roads they would work fine but for my use then it was many miles of dirt roads and corragations with occasional slow bits, in a nut shell you couldn't hear your self think from the noise they made on the corragations and the shaft to the rotation bit ended up bending. Even when i modified them to a fixing plate over the shaft to stop the bloody things from opening up when on corragations. Still when fitted with longer shocks which i ordered at the same time rancho units the system worked very well heaps of wheel travel and articulation but the bashing and crashing even on low range work was just to much for me and when the 2 back units bent the shaft i was very happy to put my old ARB triangle shackles back on again. Maybe these units today are better or stronger but when i saw them at the 4x4 show they looked exactly the same as i remember them.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agreed. I was afraid they were gimmicks. I need strength out in the bush, cannot get stuck cause of bloody shackle. I also read that they open up on steep descents which is very dangerous.

Old Mav - the company was called "metal made right".

The triangular ones from OME are designed like that to stop inversion/ flipping when the wheel travels up into the arch. very good shackles, keep those!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts