Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Patrol TB48 Pickup
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need some help/advice on what to do. My 4.8 y61 gets everywhere but going up some fairly large dunes in 2nd gear , 4H at 5-5.5k rpms my revs start to drop pretty quick. I did have 285 75 R16 procomp muddies that liked to excavate the desert and changed them to same size Yoko Geolanders AT-Ss. Definitely more float and tighter turns but not much in terms of the revs.

Sorry to sound dumb but what am I doing wrong here. Should I get some more juice under the bonnet (headers/exhaust/cams) or change the gearing from stock?

Cheers - Adam

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks slow but I want to keep it n/a.

Jamie I know thats how it works in soft sand but I see Wranglers, Fjs, and stock prados going a hell of a lot further. Hence why I'm slightly baffled :rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
Put it in 4 Lo. Deflate the Yokos to 10 in the rear and 12 in the front.
Having said that, you may just have to accept the fact that Patrols don't climb well. Too heavy.
There's always another way to the top, and let's face it. Patrols are awesome in every other aspect, but they just don't climb well. I always found that the engine seemed to be starving for air and choking on it's own exhaust.

You changed the tire size up to 33s and the power loss is noticeable. They're the exact same tires that I fitted. To get the power back I had to fit headers, exhaust and intake. Then fitted a unichip at MOCA for a little bit more. I was looking at getting a set of Pacemaker headers.

It's an improvement, gets up the dunes that it struggled on before - But there's always a bigger dune :D

Reactions: Adashoe

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bulbous - Are you based in DXB?

I am getting the headers and exhausts system done by American Racing Headers. They've agreed to pay for shipping, customs and everything else so that they can R&D a nissan patrol exhaust based on my pickup. :D:D:D

How did the unichip fair?

Appreciate the feedback

Put it in 4 Lo. Deflate the Yokos to 10 in the rear and 12 in the front.
Having said that, you may just have to accept the fact that Patrols don't climb well. Too heavy.
There's always another way to the top, and let's face it. Patrols are awesome in every other aspect, but they just don't climb well. I always found that the engine seemed to be starving for air and choking on it's own exhaust.

You changed the tire size up to 33s and the power loss is noticeable. They're the exact same tires that I fitted. To get the power back I had to fit headers, exhaust and intake. Then fitted a unichip at MOCA for a little bit more. I was looking at getting a set of Pacemaker headers.

It's an improvement, gets up the dunes that it struggled on before - But there's always a bigger dune :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys let your tyres down much over there? Patrols are heavier than other cars mentioned.

Yup. I drop mine to 12psi all round. They tend to climb a couple of psi especially during the summer.

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
Hi Adam,
Yep, I'm in Dubai. Unichip was good.

The intake was a large K&N cone, fitted inside it's own shroud.
The exhaust was the local headers, and 3 in custom pipeworks with a Dynamax Muffler feeding to the stock Nissan silencer to keep the noise down. Works pretty well since it passed registration without a problem this year.

Fitting these two got the power back up to 280 on the Dyno. Unichip then boosted it to 300. The Torque is excellent, but drops off quick if there's the slightest hint of blowing in the exhaust.
So now it climbs Faya from the front. Nagreh is bigger though and it won't do that.

I can keep throwing mods at it, but in the end there's always a bigger dune. So I've drawn a line.

The Patrol is awesome and handles really nicely in the desert, goes everywhere I want, just sometimes needs to do it via another route. It's also recovered at least one of everything else that goes in the sand here. Nothing beats a Patrol at recovering other sh¡t

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I'm getting my pickup back from the US. American Racing Headers shipped it over there to put in a full new exhaust system..headers and all

Here is the graph from the Dyno.

285/75-R16s with stock 4.8L engine. Said that they would have liked to do it in 4th but the size of the tires and gearing was an issue. Also the rev limited cut in at 5200 RPM

Once I'll get it back I'll be taking some pictures

Hi Adam,
Yep, I'm in Dubai. Unichip was good.

The intake was a large K&N cone, fitted inside it's own shroud.
The exhaust was the local headers, and 3 in custom pipeworks with a Dynamax Muffler feeding to the stock Nissan silencer to keep the noise down. Works pretty well since it passed registration without a problem this year.

Fitting these two got the power back up to 280 on the Dyno. Unichip then boosted it to 300. The Torque is excellent, but drops off quick if there's the slightest hint of blowing in the exhaust.
So now it climbs Faya from the front. Nagreh is bigger though and it won't do that.

I can keep throwing mods at it, but in the end there's always a bigger dune. So I've drawn a line.

The Patrol is awesome and handles really nicely in the desert, goes everywhere I want, just sometimes needs to do it via another route. It's also recovered at least one of everything else that goes in the sand here. Nothing beats a Patrol at recovering other sh¡t

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts