Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freedom of the press under fire? Do we have the rite to know everything certain members of the press think we should?
Freedom of the press is critical to our democracy, no doubt about that and protection for whistleblowers and journalists must exist, but without going into great detail, while ever many members of the press are more interested in 'Gothcha Moments' than the truth, they are their own worst enemy.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,898 Posts
Haaaaaaa, if only they knew.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't quite get that Rod, if only who knew?

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,898 Posts
There is so much that goes on behind ‘closed doors’, deals done, nefarious activity, palms greased, heads rolled. Oh, shock, horror, the general population doesn’t need to know.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe there are 'things' the general public don't need to know, it is how and why those 'things' are arrived at that is important. As I indicated in OP if the press were more interested in informing rather than grabbing 'gotcha' headlines it would be much simpler. I certainly don't trust the press.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,630 Posts
Freedom of the press under fire? Do we have the rite to know everything certain members of the press think we should?
Freedom of the press is critical to our democracy, no doubt about that and protection for whistleblowers and journalists must exist, but without going into great detail, while ever many members of the press are more interested in 'Gothcha Moments' than the truth, they are their own worst enemy.
Your points are duly noted.

Take for example the expose regards the treatment of ex race horses. I would say we have a right to know.

Alan Jones and Ray Hadley have condemned the reporting of this. Chanel seven have had very little to report on this after the story broke. Same with the Australian. Commercial conflicts of interest vs public interest.

Ethical journalism (all mediums) is at an all time low.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your points are duly noted.

Take for example the expose regards the treatment of ex race horses. I would say we have a right to know. Absobloodylutely.

Alan Jones and Ray Hadley have condemned the reporting of this. Chanel seven have had very little to report on this after the story broke. Same with the Australian. Commercial conflicts of interest vs public interest.
Vested Interests. It was ver interesting to hear Bruce Ma

Ethical journalism (all mediums) is at an all time low.
All time low for sure. I wouldn't trust many press organisations as far as I can kick them. Re ch7, it was very interesting to hear Bruce McAvaney comment on the report as an owner as well as commentator well before Ch7 did a news piece on it.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Limiting the press or government control of the press is a trait displayed by most repressive governments. Do we really want to go this way as a society. I think the population has a right to know what's being done in their name.
True investigative journalism is not about gotcha moments it's about holding persons/organisations/governments to account. The stories may take significant amount of time to compile, check sources publish etc.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Limiting the press or government control of the press is a trait displayed by most repressive governments. Do we really want to go this way as a society. I think the population has a right to know what's being done in their name.
True investigative journalism is not about gotcha moments it's about holding persons/organisations/governments to account. The stories may take significant amount of time to compile, check sources publish etc.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
I think we are a long way from Govt control of the press, but, to a high extent I agree, in saying that there are things we as the general public don't need to know, especially with regard to areas of national security. I hope the inquiries can sort this out to the satisfaction of the Govt and the press, but the press will always reckon it is behind as they all still want that gotcha.

Finding out about this insidious Meramist Abbatior is a crucial bit of news everyone needs to know and understand, as well as domestic Govt policy at both state, federal and local levels, but there are some international operations we don't need to know about.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,434 Posts
I'd say the general public would be quite pissed if they knew what facts were replaced with blatant lies and held secret. Both sides of politics do this as they know they will be long gone before the truth comes out.
Australia's largest money grab is my favorite. The lie that "speed kills" is used by every state to justify the billions of dollars they raise from speed cameras. The real document that proves that less than 1% of fatal accidents are caused by speeding and the reason for for introduction of speed cameras is purely for revenue raising is safely locked away from the general public.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd say the general public would be quite pissed if they knew what facts were replaced with blatant lies and held secret. Both sides of politics do this as they know they will be long gone before the truth comes out.
Australia's largest money grab is my favorite. The lie that "speed kills" is used by every state to justify the billions of dollars they raise from speed cameras. The real document that proves that less than 1% of fatal accidents are caused by speeding and the reason for for introduction of speed cameras is purely for revenue raising is safely locked away from the general public.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Totally different subject to the thread mate, a subject for another thread maybe.

Checking around it seems Meramist Abbs is owned by a Belgian company named Benimplex NV, of which a NZ company, Clover Exports, is a subsidiary and does the same business as Meramist. They came to the attention of the Govt in 2013 over a contaminated meat scare in Europe (no proven connection to AU) where the majority of the meat from 500 horses a month was sent for human consumption, cannot find any detail of results from then but unless management took a big nosedive since then one would assume similar practises were in place at the time

Their business is copping a hammering from all directions at the moment, will be interesting to see what the result is, maintain the rage this cruelty deserves, as said I have no issue (other than a loyalty factor to a hard working horse) with humane slaughter, that's life.

I found a comment from a breeder in a topic about Meramist, it was in a Horse Racing Forum from 2013. "I haven't let a single horse of mine go to these places. With any slow ones that we haven't kept, we've found them all good homes by trying hard enough". Comments by others were not so horse friendly.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Further recent info on Meramist.
With interesting feedback comments at the end of the article.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,630 Posts
Some recent stories the abc have covered that have led to further investigations (for better or worse)

Aged care abuse
Funeral industry
Banking
Chinese influence in our politics
George Pell
Church abuse of children
Indo dog meat trade
Live cattle trade

A fair use of tax payers monies to reveal what we should know. No doubt they have wasted our monies as well on frivolous pursuits.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some recent stories the abc have covered that have led to further investigations (for better or worse)

Aged care abuse
Funeral industry
Banking
Chinese influence in our politics
George Pell
Church abuse of children
Indo dog meat trade
Live cattle trade

A fair use of tax payers monies to reveal what we should know. No doubt they have wasted our monies as well on frivolous pursuits.
Agree in many cases, there are ABC journalists I have a lot of time for and others no time. The live cattle trade in Indonesia was dodgy, the 'Australian Cattle' being cruelly slaughtered turned out not to be ours, I watched the programme and was disgusted, the cruelty was worse than the Meramist Abbs, the ABC had been hoodwinked, Australia had no jurisdiction over the Abbs that were doing it, when they are our cattle the AU Govt does have some input.
I certainly hope that under new ABC management this type of thing doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The one sided reporting on so called Australian atrocities in the Middle East disgusts and appalls me. Trying to taint our soldiers with that sort of brush is just not on. Soldiers on active duty have got a job to do which involves a certain amount of controlled violence, and death or serious injury can be the result of not doing the job properly. For a journalist who wasn’t even there to decide that “the enemy” is more believable than our own soldiers is close to treasonous. I mean, OF COURSE the family is going to say (when prompted by journalist) that a man shot and killed in a confrontation was unarmed and just an innocent farmer. What else would they say, ffs. This stuff is sensationalist gotcha reporting at its worst.
And how about the reporting on the Australian soldiers who “fired a shot” in the direction of a massive crowd of rock throwers. Who the f*ck cares! ABC trying to make a serious incident out of something that is pretty routine over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The one sided reporting on so called Australian atrocities in the Middle East disgusts and appalls me. Trying to taint our soldiers with that sort of brush is just not on. Soldiers on active duty have got a job to do which involves a certain amount of controlled violence, and death or serious injury can be the result of not doing the job properly. For a journalist who wasn’t even there to decide that “the enemy” is more believable than our own soldiers is close to treasonous. I mean, OF COURSE the family is going to say (when prompted by journalist) that a man shot and killed in a confrontation was unarmed and just an innocent farmer. What else would they say, ffs. This stuff is sensationalist gotcha reporting at its worst.
And how about the reporting on the Australian soldiers who “fired a shot” in the direction of a massive crowd of rock throwers. Who the f*ck cares! ABC trying to make a serious incident out of something that is pretty routine over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Absolutely agree, the 'case' aganst Roberts-Smith is a joke, very easy for people who have not been in that sort of situation to pass judgement. I know a guy who was shot as he entered a house in Afghanistan, his mates walked over him to get the shooters, they expected him to be dead. These guys never knew if a 'friendly' would be trying to take them out. Roberts-Smith is a VC winner, you don't just pick one of those up for nothing, I'm lead to believe that the two soldiers who testified against him in their media interview weren't even in the squad. Sounds like you and I both consider this sensasionalist journalism, if one of them goes to jail, I don't care.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,898 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amen to that. Remember when some chanel 10 bimbos bagged him?
I wiped every journalist on that show of my 'respect' list, including George Negus who added the final insult, I was saddened by that because up until then I had great respect for him. I wonder if any journalist on that defunct show would have had the guts to charge a machine gun nest.
There is humour and there is insult and there is truth. Would I ever again believe a word that came from one of their pens? Highly unlikely, unfortuneately they represent a good many members of the press.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts