1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.

WA government, bloody geniuses.

First, we give away Rally Australia because it "doesn't give enough return for investment", so they let it go, and instead spend the money on the Red Bull air race.

Then, they lose the Barbagallo round of the Supercar race for a year or two. Ok that's back, but not for long unless they make the track longer.

Then they lose the Red Bull air race for same reason they replaced Rally Australia with it.

Now... Lo and behold... They have let the Australasian Safari fade into oblivion. This September folks, it's the last one, probably ever.

There are some VERY p155ed people.

A bloke has just paid well into the six figures for the ex PWR Colorado, only much good for safari.
Another has paid over 300k for a hilux one safari and one Dakar old, now good for stuff all.

I could recount half a dozen similar stories. Eventscorp (marketing sponsorship arm of govt) has said they don't get enough return from the event.

How do you quantify this sort of thing? Safari goes wild on Asian TV, especially the Japanese, they love it. It's on an hour a day every day through the event on prime time. These people are all seeing WA, Australia, on their TVs every day for over a week. Priceless marketing.

Why should these things be looked at from purely profit driven perspective? These events put us on the map. Bloody idiots. Not happy.

I've been on the safari twice and it's a fantastic event, and makes a lot of income for the towns through which it passes. I think this decision is very short sighted, so now one of the best off road races in the Southern Hemisphere is gone. Anyone remember the Redex round Australia trials? Or the Wynns Safari; the precurser to the Australian (and now Australasian) Safari?

RIP Australasian Safari.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
What a bunch of short-sighted ****s they are to dump something like this. Is there any chance it can be promoted and run through a non govt organisation, or aren't they big enough to get this off the ground.

Could be the ARB Australasian Rally as long as it is not the Crazy Charly bash or the Pura Milk Cup.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Maybe another state or territory will take it up?

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
But we are getting a lovely flucked up waterfront future traffic jamb!!!!!!!!!!
Yep and they wonder why we're called Dullsville, use to enjoy checking out the Safari when working in Leonora, and yep the towns gained some good dollars

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well maybe another state could take it, after all Victoria was intelligent enough to take up Rally Oz.

It's owned by Octogon, a bloke called Justin Hunt, who has driven the show since it restarted in 2007. I don't know the business side of it, but I don't think any event of this nature can run purely as a private concern and relies on some external funding to operate.

I did the event in 2011 with the Chinese team and that week was one of the funniest of my life, good laughs, great company (Russ, Ashley, Scottie and Brett and the Chinese entourage only a few of whom could communicate in limited English), and great memories... We went 200kms east of Norseman and 100kms north of the a Eyre Hwy in the absolute middle of Bumphuck to retrieve a wrecked Pajero, got back to Norseman at 4am having not eaten for 20 hours. Ash, Big Russ and I stared at the pie warmer in the BP at the solitary dried out pie. Russ says 'I'll take the pie, youse share the lamington'...
And in Kalgoorlie the Chinese took us to a noodle joint. They gave out chopsticks with the meals, Big Russ shapes up to the counter, glares at this weedy little bloke and says 'do I LOOK like it use chopsticks???? Better get me a fork mate...' Fair dinkum you had to be there. I hope Dustyboy reads this it was bloody hilarious. I don't think it translates well into print ;-)

Anyway I digress... It's gone now, such a waste. I do hope another state decides to chip in a few dollars and the event can continue.

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
Read about this on their website the other day. I have very fond memories of this event while the mrs was part of the pit crew 6 months pregnant. The Chinese team was in that that event as well, any yeah they hardly spoke any English

An event like no other in Australia a real test of man and machine. 8 days of competition and nights of repairs, what a blast. How many international competitors got to see Perth and outback WA over the years it has been run?

I would love to compete in Safari again one day, let's hope another state picks it up, NT would be great, imagine fanging around Kakadu for a week!!!!

·
Registered
nissan
2,413 Posts
Must have bean counters with no sense in charge.

Would have to be the best way of advertising Oz there ever was......

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Well maybe another state could take it, after all Victoria was intelligent enough to take up Rally Oz.

It was actually NSW that picked up Rally Oz, Coffs Harbour to be precise! Vic went without a round of the Australian Rally Championship for several years.

·
Registered
nissan
387 Posts
A bloke has just paid well into the six figures for the ex PWR Colorado, only much good for safari.
It is crap to read that safari will be no more, doesn't leave much true 'outback racing' left, fink and not much else...

Is this PWR colorado you speak of the one that Lowndes drove in...2010 was it? If so that's still a pretty cool car to own.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
I still dont understand why government gets involved in these events from the beginning, complete misuse of tax dollars.

Let industry fund it.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
Yep...we definitely need more arty-farty cafes.

Perhaps an inner city demolishen derby curcuit...Troy Busswell would have no trouble organising that.

Cheers....Lionel.

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts

Perhaps an inner city demolishen derby curcuit...Troy Busswell would have no trouble organising that.

Cheers....Lionel.
Lol, I see what you did there :cool:

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts

Cheers....Lionel.
If they can make a profit and not cost the government (aka the taxpayer a cent) and contribute to growing the economy then why not?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Maybe they could run it inside the new colinoseum ( 1.1billion tax payer funded sports stadium for you othersiders ). I'm hoping they can get some school kids, some people that can't get hospital beds, some kids that have nowhere else to go but jail or prison and some homeless pensioners into the colinoseum too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts