Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just joined brought a 2002 3/l patrol 4 weeks ago and after a short trip realised water blowing out the overflow took it to my local and done a chemical test told me the head was cracked 4000 to 4500 to fix paid 13500 for it with 22000 on the click absolutely shatterd was wondering if this price sounds right for a new head and labour ect please and is it worth doing or what

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,274 Posts
Hi all just joined brought a 2002 3/l patrol 4 weeks ago and after a short trip realised water blowing out the overflow took it to my local and done a chemical test told me the head was cracked 4000 to 4500 to fix paid 13500 for it with 22000 on the click absolutely shatterd was wondering if this price sounds right for a new head and labour ect please and is it worth doing or what
Welcome to the forum under such sad circumstances, believe me I know what it's like. What area are you in as we may be able to make suggestions. Unfortunately yours is in the danger zone, as indeed was mine, 2000-2002 were very susceptible to these issues, they are well documented in the DI archive if you care to look. The head has issues particularly if the coolant has been changed and not done correctly or poor maintenance by not using the correct coolant or amount, also glow plug problems may cause cracks radiating out from the GP aperture and these can go through the waterjacket, finally the last but worst is that pistons can melt ("usually" 3 or 4, 3 and 4) this is usually accompanied by a lot of white smoke, so you may not have reached this stage. So until it is stripped down your between a rock and a hard place as you won't know the full story till then sadly.

Last time I looked you could pick up a head for around 2k (I think) and if you do get one make sure it's complete that is the safest way. Don't let anyone talk you into repairing the head, this has resulted in secondary failures in the past. A whole book could be written on this subject (Oh Bugga, we already have :)) so there is a lot more to this story as well, but the good news is that if they are repaired correctly and the rest of the engine is in good condition we have the tools and know how to make them a much more reliable unit.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Sorry to hear all these head probs at the moment, we had a bout of IP probs a few months ago.

My uncle keith bought brand new of off the showroom 2011 GU, got it up to 25,000 ks and gues what. Boom!! head gone.

Was on his way back from NT and using coolant faster than he could put in it.

Rebuild and dont skimp is my opinion.

Life is like a box of chocolates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts