Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I had an interesting road rage issue today on the way from work. One of the intersections I go through is traffic light controlled, and has two lanes. One lane turns right, the other one turns left. I was waiting to turn right, when the car in front of me backed up, and went down the left lane. The lights had turned green during his maneouvre, so once he was out of my way I went past him in the right lane. He was held up by left turning cars so we ended up side by side.

The idiot then tried to run me off the road by turning right from the left lane. I held my line and made the turn, and as a result, he had to slot in behind me. Immediately after completing the turn he overtook me over double white lines and into opposing traffic, cut hard in front of me, and then braked hard.

When I got to the next set of traffic lights, he got out of his car and came back shaking his fist, wanting to have a go. I pulled the 20oz claw hammer out of the right hand door pocket, and showed it to him. He then went back to his car.

Question.

If, when he chopped in hard, had I ploughed him, would I have still been liable? If so, I think it is wrong that people can chop in hard then slam on the brakes. If he can get away with it for getting ploughed, then I should just return the favour.

If I would be liable the next tool who has a go is going to pay for my Kaymar rear bar!!!:D

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
Would imagine would become a case of your word against his and then they'd do you for it in some way shape or form.
Be good if you had a dash cam. We had them in our trucks at work for a while. they trigger from high g forces and flag an event. Give the footage to cops and then thank you very much they would have him crossing double lines, neg driving and road rage...

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
mate you would have been liable (from my time at the accadamy) we were told with out pregidest the trailing vehicle should be able to avoid collion at all times if driving to or within traffic conditions requirements. Which means regardless of the morons act you cop the fine if your behind!

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
If you had a witness, which you probably should if it was home time traffic, then you would probably be OK. Noone can deliberately cause an accident by running into you... where it gets curly is if it is a complete nose to tail

What a tosser eh... I am assuming you were turning into a single carriageway at a T intersection and the lanes have only got single turn arrows marked?

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
I had a tosser do a similar thing but was such a dead**** that he hit the back of me during the illegal overtaking before cutting me off.
I stopped and so did he and got out ranting and raving so rather than put myself up on an assault charge I just drove off strait to a cop station.
Turns out it was just my word against his and all the coppers could do was report it as a standard traffic accident. His fault obviously going by the damage to the rear of my car.

I never found out but I just hope the dick is still paying off the damage to my brand new company car because I doubt that someone of his inteligence had insurance.

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
If you had of hit him,just back up and have another go,if your gunna be in the **** for him cutting you off sharp and hitting the brakes,may aswell make it worth it.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
If you had of hit him,just back up and have another go,if your gunna be in the **** for him cutting you off sharp and hitting the brakes,may aswell make it worth it.
X2 hahaha

Unfortunately you would have been in the wrong this happens to me regularly in peak traffic and they are dead ****s for doing it.

Another good one is people pulling out right in front of you and making no attempt to get to the speed limit

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Or just let him in. As hard as it is to swallow your pride. Just saves the stress. Oh and WTF do you have a claw hammer in the drivers door pocket for?!! This is more illegal than changing lanes in a stupid manner!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is only there to drive in tent pegs etc. It's never been brandished before as a weapon and most probably never will again. It served the purpose to get him to turn around and get back in his car.

This is where the law is an ass. It was a single carriage way that I was turning into, there was nowhere to let him in, and I was actually ahead of him and had a decent overlap in the turn. If he waited in the line then he would have got around, as a number of cars behind us also made the turn.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Or just let him in. As hard as it is to swallow your pride. Just saves the stress. Oh and WTF do you have a claw hammer in the drivers door pocket for?!! This is more illegal than changing lanes in a stupid manner!
for if some piece of ***** comes to your window with a weapon.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
We should be allowed to carry 9mils to deal with these deadheads. Was with a mate in Lafayette when this guy cut us off big time, mate dropped it down a cog in his Z28 and cut inside him and put a couple into his engine as we screamed past, scared the hell out of me, but we never saw that guy again.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
As has been said you would be in the wrong. The only way he would be in the wrong is if he backed into you. As an aside if you had hit him with the claw hammer you probably would have been up the creek also, it would come down to you having the hammer in the car to use as a weapon - unless you happened to have a tool box in the car & you could prove it was the first thing you grabbed out of the tool box.

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Yeah i wouldn't have braked,
i cop it everyday, people think that a truck going 80 is actually slower than a car going 80,
and they cross roads infront of you narrowly almost killing themselves.Its hard
but its appart of road life as a driver, hey?

im glad he went hurridly back into his car Graham, coz its just not worth it
no matter how much you wanna bulldoze the fker.

hard part of life i know, to not hop out too but.

·
Registered
nissan
401 Posts
We should be allowed to carry 9mils to deal with these deadheads. Was with a mate in Lafayette when this guy cut us off big time, mate dropped it down a cog in his Z28 and cut inside him and put a couple into his engine as we screamed past, scared the hell out of me, but we never saw that guy again.
Superstory?.........Yep.
School Holidays?.......Yep.

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
I would have just hit him, and told any cops that wanted to know that you were accelerating away after the turn and this idiot came screeming up alongside and cut in and braked...you hit him, nothing you can do.

Also, i'd of hit him REAL hard too!

When i had a nice car, i used to have to duck and dive, slam on brakes and do all kinds of stuff to avoid these Fukheads...now i got a nice, heavy truck, i don't avoid sheet.

Recently posted about a ****head who pulled out of a controlled stop in front of me and i hit him...got a phone call from his insurance company a week ago to get "my side of the story'.

So, i told him what happened, and how the other guy was at fault, and that this wasn't my side of the story, just what happened. Insurance rep agreed that this was different to his story, but apeared to fit with the damage...

Haven't heard back so i guess another leason taught! :p

I like to think i'm just proving Darwin right every day... :lol:

·
Registered
Nissan
2,879 Posts
I carry a machette just in case I ever find myself mysteriously lost in the jungle, these things do actually happen you know they even made a TV series about such a situation.

·
Registered
nissan gu 1998
29 Posts
Dopey *****s don't realise that a 2 and a 1/2 ton 4X4 doesn't stop on a dime....

As for the claw hammer, make sure you have it in a small tool wrapper with a screw driver, pliers etc. thereby making a reasonable lawful defence against a charge of 'constructive possession of an unlawful implement'.

On the other hand Karma will ensure he will eventually cross the wrong person and come to grief.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts