Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan mk patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
have had this query on my mind for a while now. my mq had a 253 conversion about 4 years ago from a qualified mechanic in a garage and was all done legit. only prob is, is that i'm not sure where to go from here. i have been told from transport that it doesn't require an engineers report as the power to weight ratio doesn't exceed what the vehicle can 'handle'. i'm planning a rebuild in the near future, but would like to hear what you all have to say about the matter... the floor is yours!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,620 Posts
Depending which state you reside
Each state has different rulings regarding engine conversions
Just cause its in there and was drivin on the road ,doesnt mean it has been fully approved
Best bet log onto the main roads/Dept of transport web site from your state

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,298 Posts
I'd stick my head in the engine bay to confirm that they certified the engine conversion too
As MQ MAD says, just because it's in there and works, doesn't mean it's 100% legal... :)

In QLD the biggest engine you can put into a SWB is a 350CI or 5.7L

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
what engine number / cylinder count is on your rego papers? ive just bought a car that has been legally converted to v8 and it has this info on the rego papers. some states also issue mod plates which are fixed into the engine bays, mine does not have this.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,620 Posts
Good tip neRoK,

Providing there is access to the rego papers,that would help

Go down to the main roads/dept of transport mob with your VIN or old number plate numbers(if you have them) and ask them

If it has never been fully approved before,
It will have to pass any test/checks required for legal registration
(Yes there are alot advertised with V8s and most sellers say never been approved)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,066 Posts
or run a REVS check this will tell you exactly
and look for a blue tag in the engine bay about 6 inchs wide by 3 inchs high in diameter
v8's in these old girls dont need engineers reports (qld) but they will need inspection to add a mod plate useually they check its been mounted in proper using proper rubber engine mounts not solid and that the brakes stop good most vechicles with drum fronts such as my 45 series need the disc brake conversion but as my 45 series mod was done on the sly he paased it without disc brakes :s lol

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,066 Posts
yeah drums are safice for stock 253 -308's tho the law inforcers want discs just to be safer then it needs to be

tho driving mine with drum front im definitly swapping over to discs its like trying to slow down a train >_< and its got new pads and slaves lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.