Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol mq
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all im getting my car ready for a roadworthy and was just wanting to know what genrel stuff i need to look at to get threw roadworthy, oh and i live in VIC

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Lookin at your signature , 4 " lift,33"s
I would check out the lift and tyres are legal first
(Jump on main roads/Dept of transport website in your state)
Every state has different rulings regarding this

The rest well just the basic stuff
Tyres,rust,brakes,lights, indicators,seat belts, blah blah blah

If it has a floor like the Flinstone mobile,every panel different,blows more smoke than a chimney
Looks as ruff as guts
Ya wont get a roady

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
Got to agree with you there Glort. My local garage used to check the basics for safety, Lights Wipers horn and check front end play, brakes and all that but that was it.
The last 12 months the same guys have knocked me back on my MK and my sons D21 Navara for absolutely stupid things.
He made me degrease the whole engine bay and underneath of the MK cause there was still a bit of P/Steering fluid sprayed around from when the bearing and seal went. He reckoned the main ball joint was leaking oil even though told him it was from the P/St. Then he told me I had to put the plastic tread back on the rear passenger door sill (I had it off to fish oil inside the sills) Then he made me spray all the peeling paint along the roof near the gutters because the exposed primer has started to slightly rust on the surface.

The Navara got knocked back for the ignition key being able to be removed while the motor was running. He really had to fiddle with it to get it out but still knocked it. also made me rip the driver side door trim off and fix all the handle links and lock up just because it was a little bit hard to open from inside, and tried to knock me back because the bloody throttle lock knob is missing.
It was about then I told him he has lost all my work in the future and he can go *&%### himself.
I have never insulted an inspection mechanic by trying to get an unsafe car passed and always check everything myself first, but it was really over the top these last two times.:angryfir:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I lived in the US for awhile and only thing they checked overthere where tires, lights, horn and wipers. I was driving a dually and my inner tires where worn completly but since the outers where fine he passed it!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The are getting very fussing guys,as their RWC licence is on the line
Theres been many "mate for a mate "RWCs done over the years and it comes back to bite them
Remember the car in a passable state is valid for the RWC period (2-4 weeks whatever it is)
IF the car is pulled over in that period the RWC blokes can be accountable
Sometimes even required to fix the car to a proper RWC condition
Unless you are a real close friend or even family
The days of "She b rite mate just gimme your ID numbers" are a thing of the past

Then ya have all the stories on ACA and Today tonight regarding shonky RWC places
I wouldnt risk my RWC licence and a large chuck of business for a shonky RWC

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
roadies in vic, are easy enough, well where i live they are anyway
seat belt frayed
Brakes, pads, shoes, disc thickness, brake fluid leaks
Rust, Patrol: floor sills inner guards (back) roof. doors
seats rips or tears (seat cover fixes) Seat mounts loose, seat back moving
Oil leaks, zorst leaks.
Heater controls need to have at least demist and fan
tyres
Suspension bushes
windscreen
lights
Most are pretty easy, make sure it fairley tidy and maybe leave a brake light and a water squirter jet blocked, to let them pick something. If they pick a few things there happy, sometimes.
Best of luck

·
Registered
nissan patrol mq
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone for the help.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,568 Posts
Hi There,
Im finally getting my truck transfered at the moment so a roadworthy is required. I had the truck in for a once over after replacing injectors last week (Thanks to hi flo):D. Not sure where your from but in Vic it is one thing after the other. Seriously though, rego guys look at the usual:

Enigine and smoke!!! (replaced injectors)
Brake lines
Uni Joint for tail shafts (the pick if loose, death trap)
inspect chassis for rust. (Have to reppiar radiator mounds)
Seat bellts
Oil leaks (you should be right if it doesn"t drip on the road eg: Turbo leak)
Radiator support arm needs rust cut out and new piece welded in (along withdriver side sill)
Check eletrical system eg: dash lights, external lights all round, brakes, horn)

Hopefully this helps you out! I hope to have transfer done friday next week, all things going to plan! I'll report back and let you know how I go!

Ps: Paint any exposed primer or bog if your DIYing before you attempt to roadworthy the car!!!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Dontt forget the rear wiper (if you have one) it must work - I pulled onoff years ago to get though.

The steering wheel must be in good condition.

Seat - use a seat cover.

RUST - make sure you hide it bog and spray pack.

On my l28, I got knocked back due to missing the hot air beather tube between the exhast and air cleaner

Also I had some brake flude on the chasis due to bleeding the breaks - had to clean it.

I had to replace all the spring bushes.

Spare - if its good and same size leave it on, other wise remove for road worthly.

Dont forget the Jack and handle.

·
Registered
nissan MK
43 Posts
Hey Shorty MQ,
Here is a heads up, don't know about Wangaratta area but down here in the Frankston area they are STRICT they will pick everything that they can, especially if it has to be taken to Vic Roads, for number plates and engine number verification and inspection as no mechanic wants to loose his accreditation. This happens only if the car has been out of rego for more than 12 months or the the car was sold without plates.
If it is a straight rego transfer than the mechanic may be lenient.
I have just been through this bullsh*t and the reason they are being so tough is Vic Roads (nanny state Victoria) wants ALL OLD CARS OFF THE ROAD.
Wish you the best of luck.:angryfir:

·
nissan
7,286 Posts
If you have a spare it must be roadworthy. If you have a roadworthy spare you must have all tools and a jack to change the tyre.

If you don't have the tools remove the spare.

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
Jesus, are you guys SURE your not taking the piss?

My 91 Safari has a/m steering wheel, STI seats (that i adapted the brackets for), an airbox and filter out of a 2002 STI, a cold air intake i made myself, an Aircon pump turned into onboard air by cutting hoses and adding an oiler, home applied tints, home made mudflaps (made out of floor mats).

It's got oil leaks (where i miss when filling), cow **** all over the fire wall where it dried and i couldn't be bothered hosing it off, cobwebs on the rear ladder...and it hasnt been washed in a few months...

I drive in, they check it, and if it indicates, stops, the lights work and it is reasonably stable on all four tyres (which do need to have some tread) and doesnt have huge rust holes, i get my Warrant of Fitness (roadworthy).

If a cop stopped me over here and tried to do me cause my truck was dirty, i'd haul his arse into court for harassment!

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
im in qld and i got mine roadworthy without the back (apparently illegal), frayed seatbelts, 33's, smashed in qtr panels, broken lights etc. i have since fixed most of it but it just depends on who you go to and how safe you want the car to be, mechanically and structurally the car was A1 at the time so it was only the little things that needed doing so i found a bloke who came out and looked at it, asked if it went, and signed the page. these blokes are still around just become few and far between

·
nissan
7,286 Posts
Yeah sure are, I had to pay a little higher fee, to have my brothers roadworthied, Gq with a internal cage, body lift 3" suspension,turbo with now mufflers 3" system , 35's. Brake test was done sitting at his desk.
You can still get a easy roady if you know some one but they are getting harded to find.
I don't like people who get dodgy ones because they don't want to fix there brakes or don't want to by new tyres, etc etc. I get dodgys where I can but I know what is legal and what is not, so all major saftey items are fixed, I like to see that my car is safe. It carries my family and is on the road with other familys so i think it is best to do it right.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Baja,
Ya must know the right people ???
The bloke who does roadies for me,on site i mite add
(For those that havnt been here its the middle of "Im lost" and "Where the f*k are we")
The seating wether 4 seater , 5 seater or 7 seater must have all seating and belts to suit
Now main roads in QLD used to have a quick looksie when ya get em regoed but not anymore
Dont even have to bring along
Turn up with the roadie,any paper work and money
Pay ya money of ya go

Stic,
Some blokes can turn a blind eye when givin a RWC
Once the car is outside the RWC period,its up to the owner to keep in good nick
Ya get pulled over ,the owner or driver of the car cops the fines and demerit points

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Once you have the road worthy, ensure the chassis & engine number is visable if it has to be taken to Vic Roads.

When I took mine in the vary young lady only looked at it to conffirm the numbers ( motor & chassis)

It confused them as my donk was not recorded on the australian data base - they had to add it.

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
Once you have the road worthy, ensure the chassis & engine number is visable if it has to be taken to Vic Roads.

When I took mine in the vary young lady only looked at it to conffirm the numbers ( motor & chassis)

It confused them as my donk was not recorded on the australian data base - they had to add it.
It may not have been the original engine.
Might have been a second hand Jap imported engine

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
It was not, I got the donk off a guy on the zx forum for $150.

I got the car for $400 with a staffed donk.

·
Registered
nissan MK
43 Posts
Here is the list that mine was knocked back on.
Left hand windscreen wiper was skimming across window.(bent the wiper, fixed).
No indicators. (missing fuse??? worked fine when driven to mechanics??)
Hazard lights did not work.(as above).
Aftermarket SAS front seats, not original seats. (Must have original seats, no tears, or engineers report required for aftermarket ones).
Exhaust leak.(slight leak on manifold exhaust gasket, easy fix)
Tyres protrude from guards 10mm (1cm yes 1cm). (Put the metal guard extensions on, fixed)
Wheels not original, must be metal rims, or engineers report required.
Hand brake to be adjusted. (Comes up to high???)
Cost of mechanics roadworthy, $88.00
Cost of $78.00 to RTA for unregistered car permit. (To enable road test to be done by mechanic).
Cost of engineers report??(14 days before I can see the engineer)
One week to fix all or have to pay another $88.00 for mechanics roadworthy.
RTA will not let me use original plates, must be new ones.(Cost of plates $25.00):angryfir:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts