Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rockets GU7 Wagon

After many months of watching, learning, pondering, etc. etc. I finally bit the bullet and got a replacement to my beloved wicked Hilux which I unloaded just before Christmas. Here's hoping this thing will treat me well, as I had 310,000 km on my D4D Hilux and all I had to do was put diesel in it.

Well here it is

It's a clean 2010 GU7 ST CRD 3.0L with 48,000km on it, running 33's A/T's dual batteries, heaps of power outlets and a UHF. :? Oh I forgot, and window tint... that'll make the difference in getting over that obstacle. :cool: Bit of work to do here :?

Looking forward to putting, bar work, winch, 3-4" lift, 35-36's, locker(s), chip, exhaust etc. All the usual things.

Reactions: Squalo

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Nice and tidy.

Keen to see it on bigger rubber.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
823 Posts
Don't forget to put diesel in this one! Looks like you're about to run out! :)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pineapple man

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Good stuff, congrats Rod :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's started :twisted: today I made the first mod to my little Patrol.

It's all in the preparation :lol: :lol:

In saying that it has made it go better and change gear sharper. The engine definitely sounds freer and has a more fuller, richer and creamy exhaust note, so far happy days. :D

Reactions: Greyhound

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well with my new found confidence I installed (partially anyway) my DVD headrests into the Patrol.

Getting into these seats is a bit more difficult than getting into the Hilux seats, and had me stumped for a bit, but in the end I won out. Once in the seat it's an easy install. Pull the cable through, tidy them up, poke them out the bottom, put the seat back together and your set.

Job for next weekend (or maybe during the week) is to pull the centre console out and wire them up. Basic procedure, there a magic box with the headrests, simply yellow to yellow, black to black and add power and they work. While I'm there I'll run a set of RCA leads up the front to link my head unit into the system when I eventually get around to replacing it.

Threw a set of Supercheap heavy duty black canvas seat covers on while I was going. They look good now, but lets see if I still think that in 6 months time ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iPad Installation

Well, today my new ride had a little upgrade. After running OziExplorer in my Hilux on the little 7" double DIN screen for my mapping, I was determined to do something different this time and make something a bit easier to see and user friendly. The OziExplorer on the Windows CE platform just seemed "hard" to use, well at least for me anyway.

With a bit of inspiration from fellow interwebers I set upon installing my iPad into my truck in a way that worked. This is what I did.

First I bought this stuff $78

and then put it together for a bit of a dry run. Looks good :D

Now where to mount it? I was keen for a stealth mounting solution, the last thing I wanted to do was cannibalise the dash, so I picked on the little cubby house storage pocket at the top of the dash with the flip up lid.

Time now to rip the dash apart. Comes apart pretty easy actually.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now to mount the base to the back of the pocket. The RAM units are made out of high quality aluminium and feature a rubber coated ball which grips the arm very well. Luckily for me RAM decided to make the diameter of the base unit about half a millimetre smaller than the height of the back of the pocket, couldn't have designed it any better if you tried. Placed it in there and drilled some holes, then bolted it up with some 6x16 button head bolts and nyloc nuts.

Then reassembled the dash

Looks like it was meant to be there. Test fitted the arm and iPad holder

Perfect fit :D :D :cool:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now to test it out, bring in the iPad

Perfect fit. The base of the iPad is about 10mm in front of the silver pen tray on the dash and the arm rests on the base of the pockect to help hold the weight. It doesn't block the use/view of the radio and absolutely has zero impact on your forward vision, perfect location. It's as solid as a rock and doesn't move at all. Very pleased with the end result. :cool: :cool:

While I was there I put a couple of COB LED map lights in, mega bright.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Na, just a drive way installation at this stage, I'll take it for a spin tomorrow, but I can't see it going anywhere.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Nice work, a well thought out install.
I like the idea of the stealth RAM mount. I want to do something like that and mount a USB socket in there as well to power phone/GPS etc. How the hell do you get that top bit with the vents and pocket out, does it just pull forward once the silver bit of the dash is off.

Love the size of that I-pad with the maps, it is so much better than my old GPS. I might have to upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's easy to get the dash out. 2 screws above the heater controls and then the stereo surround comes off, unplug the hazard and rear demister switches. This will reveal 3 screws under the air vent section. You can see there location just above the radio where the three silver speed clips are. Undo these and pull the air vents forward kinda gently until they pop out a bit. I put 1 finger under a tab next to the screw I removed and with the other hand got my fingers behind the top corner of the air vent and it can out relatively easy. Do this on both sides. there is a center clip above the flip up pocket, this is a bit of a *****. Using a medium flat blade screw driver I can in sideways at the clip whilst flexing the air vent out and was able to unclip the clip. There's a plastic tab you need to push down. Once you've seen it once, next time will be a piece of cake.

I also plan on putting a Narva dual USB socket next to the RAM mount, hence why it's mounted to one side, but ebay let me down and it didn't turn up in time. Small problem though. Theres only about 5mm clearance between the back of the pocket and the aircon ducting that runs behind it (you can see it in the pic with the foam attached to it. So I'm thinking the USB socket might need to be packed a bit forward and consume a bit of real estate in the pocket.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well bit of an update today, I've been slowly accumulating bits and pieces and decided to tackle a few jobs. First up was to remove the stupid sunglass holder that my sunnies don't fit in anyway and replace it with a functional almost factory looking switch panel..

First up prime and paint the panel

Then remove the overhead console and the sunglass holder

Make up some little aluminium retaining clips and secure the new switch panel

Now the fun part. Remove all the bits that hold the headlining up and the A pillar cover. I was going to use trailer wire but the stuff I had was to thin, so I just ran 6 x 3mm twin core up there.

Cable tied them all together and to a roof support so they don't rattle in the roof and run them down the A pillar to a Baintech 6 way fuse block

Install the switches, wire them up and put it all back together.

While the roof was apart I installed my dash cam and also finished off the electrical installation of my DVD headrests.

Reactions: kblof

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another update:

While I was installing my overhead switches I ran all the wiring for the dash cam, it just fits behind the mirror. I'm contemplating painting the back of the mirror a dark grey to hide the camera a bit.

The following weekend I installed my winch. A few weeks ago I picked up a Runva 11XP. The winch slips in from underneath really easily and bolts up through the front of the bull bar. This means the rope has to spool off the top of the drum, no big deal, just means it gets mounted with the gearbox on the drivers side. Because of this I had to remove the gearbox and rotate it 90 degrees to bring the level back up to the top, this took less than 10 minutes.

Because the top mounting bolts also hold on the fairlead, I had to get 10mm longer bolts.

I popped the grill out (undoing those two bottom clips was a PITA, next time I'll just replace them with little bolts) which gave me tonnes of access to wire up the winch. There's cavernous amounts of room behind the grill, but nothing to mount the solenoid box to. So I made a bracket that spans the chassis rails and mounted it to that just drivers side of centre. While I was there I wired up a couple of Hella LED numberplate lights I had lying around from a previous project to light up the drum behind the grill, pretty straight forward and worked a treat.

In this pic which is looking straight down from above the car you can see my bracket, solenoid box and LED lights

To finish it off I installed a strip of LED just above the fairlead to light up the front of the car. The internal switch which activates the winch also turns on the lights, should make winching of a night time a bit easier, well that was my rational, but really its just a bit of LED bling and **** factor :cool:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While I was at it I also threw in a set of LED parker/Blinkers (LED Autolamps 175AW). I had these on my previous ute and they were fantastic. No more filling up with mud and rusting.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Started building my barn door table on the long weekend

The replacement door card (6mm Marine ply)

and the table (12mm Marine ply), a few screws and some glue then ready for a coat of paint.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts