Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys who here has had a roll over or close to.
obviously the higher u go ur center of gravity changes, but would u put it down to the track u were driving or the lift in ur car.
i am planning to put 6" lift in my gu ute, and wondering who out there would say that its because of their lift that it cause them to roll or go close to

·
Registered
nissan patrol
154 Posts
go a good 4/5'' put cruzer offset rims and should be right

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
pretty much the higher you go , the more likely you will roll it, anyone who says otherwise lives in a fantasy land where the laws of physics obviously dont apply to them, saying that, its not too often you here of someone rolling it, it just depends on how you want it to look vs how it handles, 3 to 4 inch should be heaps and if you are worried about panel damage fit some decent sliders

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
had a few over the years. first was 5'' lift on 35's 350 chev no sway bars etc, basically everything wrong...:(. now run max 4'' lift . lesson learnt.

height doesnt = flex.
a well set up lower truck is better IMO. everyone likes something different though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I reckon most of the roll overs I've seen (apart from comp trucks) are from people in lifted trucks doing circle work and hitting a few ruts. Sure, the higher you go the more likely you are to roll but I think a lot of it come down to common sense.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Once came very close in my LWB Sierra. Chickened out on a looong, steep hill & reversed down until I came to a widish spoon-drain & tried to turn around in it. BAD mistake. Ended up with right-front wheel in the air with Suzi teetering on the point of balance. Got my 3 mates out've the car & VERY carefully & slowly (THINKING about each move) got her back on terra-firma. Very scary.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Once came close while climbing a steep hill where the only way I could move was to go cross-slope (I know, bad idea all 'round.)

I basically skidded crab-wise across the hill and when the track turned back upwards I gave my LWB the boot and straightened it up.

Turned out the track was intended for dirt bikes. All the same, it cured me of off-roading for a while.

·
your mother, she's a top bloke!!!!
nissan patrol
480 Posts
just think before you do things. i was and still am a big idiot, not so much now, my old gq swb i had. i did a really short steep hill climb, nearly rolled back wards it stopped on the tow ball. it just sat there. proper pooed myself, thought about how i could of seriously injured or killed me and a mate. since then just think first and no stupidness has happened. i personally think 6'' is a posser height, dont really need it. from what iv seen a good 4'' seems to work best. still looks tall

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
Ive come close but never rolled a 4wd but have seen many in my travels over the years.
Not one was strickly due to the lift in the car, all were either minor stuffups, poor driving line or mechanical failure. I have only ever witnessed one large lifted vehicle tip and it was a simple poor line choice with to much right foot. Many other large lift vehicles drove the same track on the same day.
By far the worse accident by far was a jeep wrangler that came flying back down a steep rock climb after sheering the output of the transfer case. We were lucky a heli rescue was not needed that day, Ill never forget that one.

Some other examples,

Wrong line into a boghole in a standard car

Brain fade causing the vehicle to get to close to the old creek exit when pulling a simple U turn.

Was repositioning on a tuff track and accidently reversed the downhill rear wheel over a ledge.

Brake failure and incorrect stall stop procedure resulting in the car coming back down the hill out of control until it rode the bank, hit the tree and tipped on its side.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Many times, drifting it into ruts and rocks gets it up on 2 wheels, there's a bit to go before it goes over so I use it to judge how hard I can hit things. Once I start lifting wheels I keep at that pace.
I wouldn't dream of driving that hard without proper safety cage, seats and harnesses though.

3 inch lift and would like it lower but the front suspension would bottom out too much.
You should keep it to 3 inches or less and get some more clearance with tyre size. Dont body lift, space the front diff forward and do a rear quarter chop if you want to fit 35s.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts