Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on the weekend i had my first little practice since a rollcage etc has been installed..... Enter attached photos :idiot:

The plan is to tube the front end while keeping the front panel with radiator mount etc. Can someone please post up some photos of how they have done their front end? Is it better to weld or bolt to the internal cage or even go straight to the chassis?

Oh anyone who is keen to see how i did it YouTube - Harty's gq roll

Cheers
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask anyone that does comps and see how many have rolled. To be competitive you have to be on the edge.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
Just a bit of an observation, But if you had a full width front bar , or a proper bull bar, do you think it would have done the same sort of damage?????

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A full bar would have helped without a doubt. I still think i would have seen a fair bit of damage to the front quarter though. Yeah hindsight is a bitch haha i was actually going to change it to two if only i had made 2 more corners. Now how to fix the bastard?

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
wow man! at least your cab is stil straight!! i had not even near the damage you got on the front, none really but my cab was very far of being straight! windscreen crsashed.
the sheer weight of the patrols just buckle evrything! exo cage is your only option and straight on the chassis.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good effort on trying to recover it with the loud pedal and opposite lock, looks like it may have done more damage than good though :(

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Please tell me that wasn't a kid in a stroller in the red getting knocked over by rocks.
As a competitor in speed events I hate when spectators watch from the outside of a bend and set themselves up in chairs. If you're going to be there stand up when a vehicle approaches and be ready to run and have a tree in mind to hide behind. It's generally good practice to bring the kid with you when you run away too. Hope they weren't hurt and learnt their lesson.

How to roll proof it? 1: Leave the rear swaybar in. 2: Don't lift it any more than you absolutely have to. you're better off with skid plates.

An exo cage will raise your COG and cause it to roll more often.
Good effort trying to drive out of it. I don't think you could have done anything different. These things happen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That person running was a 12 or so year old. He would have won sprints at sports day with that dash haha no one else was sitting in the other chair. It did highlight what could have been alot worse and the trees I was resting against got to stay upright because of it.

My plan: RHS the door sils, bolting the internal cage to that. Run tube from the rhs going on the inside of the quarter panel and down to front body mount. Run tube from internal cage just below windscreen height straight out to front panel and then down to body mount with bolted connection on cage. Now the ?? To run another tube from RHS and follow the outside of quarter panel and then down to front body mount?
Whats everyones thoughts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next ill be dropping back down to 2" lift and triple bypass front rear with possible coilover rear. But ill post another thread to discuss this.

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
well done on the steer into the roll. the only way to save em.... get onto adoom on here he is selling the front tube section off one of my mates old gq comp truck. i think there is a pic of it in the for sale section. very well built and will replace all your inner skirts, rad support etc.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
In the footage , i can't see why you want a 4x4, looks flat!, so I'd get a wrx ;)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Next ill be dropping back down to 2" lift and triple bypass front rear with possible coilover rear. But ill post another thread to discuss this.
Factory coils work quite well. Plenty of other things to spend money on first. Triple bypass shocks are good if you valve and tune them correctly.

Good to know it was just a chair. looked like a toddler strapped into a stroller to me.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
well done on the steer into the roll. the only way to save em.... get onto adoom on here he is selling the front tube section off one of my mates old gq comp truck. i think there is a pic of it in the for sale section. very well built and will replace all your inner skirts, rad support etc.
Yep this is what you want, I saw it in the comp truck when it was together and thought then that it was a top piece of work.

Message - Patrol 4x4 Classifieds - Nissan Patrols, Parts, Accessories

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is that Ash's old front end?? At the start of this thread when the OP first started talkin about a tube front end I thought of Ash's truck.. But I never got pics without the panels.. Top piece of work..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts