Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just something I thought about as I drove to work this morning.
I had a very early start this morning so decided to roll the Patrol down the road for a bit so as not to wake the family up at an ungodly hour with the rattle of a cold diesel before I fired it up.
I noticed that it actually rolls down hill quite slowly compared to my old long wheel base MQ wagon. Even though tyre pressures are the same (40psi) and I would have thought the GU would have picked up more speed as it got going due to the extra weight.
Wheel alignment is to spec-well as good as it can be with its limited adjustment.
Has anyone else noticed this with their GU and are there any tricks to reducing the rolling resistance on these things as it might help to improve economy?
Would adding offset front swivel hub bearing races to get correct camber help with the rolling resistance or is it just more of a tyre wear thing?
would be interested in forum member thoughts on this.
Cheers
RD

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,045 Posts
There are so many things involved in this, one of the biggest being the disc and pad contact after overcoming inertia. Going back to my racing days, where we ensured rolling resistance was absolute minimum, one trick was to shim the discs to build in about 0.010" runout to knock the pads off the discs after braking, you can't do that with todays floating calipers.

I have great difficulty pushing mine on our flat driveway.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
396 Posts
I had a very early start this morning so decided to roll the Patrol down the road for a bit so as not to wake the family up at an ungodly hour with the rattle of a cold diesel before I fired it up.
I noticed that it actually rolls down hill quite slowly compared to my old long wheel base MQ wagon. Even though tyre pressures are the same (40psi) and I would have thought the GU would have picked up more speed as it got going due to the extra weight.
Wheel alignment is to spec-well as good as it can be with its limited adjustment.
Has anyone else noticed this with their GU and are there any tricks to reducing the rolling resistance on these things as it might help to improve economy?
Would adding offset front swivel hub bearing races to get correct camber help with the rolling resistance or is it just more of a tyre wear thing?
Cheers
RD
Just so you know it's not just a one off either, my LWB MQ rolls quite freely. If you were trying to push it on flat concrete you wouldn't need too much force to keep it moving once you got some initial speed up.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,078 Posts
What tyres do you run on the GU, Muds or all terrains?.
Are they the same tyres as your MQ?
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What tyres do you run on the GU, Muds or all terrains?.
Are they the same tyres as your MQ?
Cheers
I had Bridgestone Desert Duelers on the Mq and I run Toyo R/T on the GU.
The GU used to run a fairly mundane version of Khumo A/T and it was still slow down the hill with those as well but a little better at rolling than the Toyo tyres.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so you know it's not just a one off either, my LWB MQ rolls quite freely. If you were trying to push it on flat concrete you wouldn't need too much force to keep it moving once you got some initial speed up.
Yeh it’s odd isn’t it?
The Mq could Be easily pushed around on flat ground and the GU is a pig of a thing to move around.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
19,881 Posts
I have Toyo AT’s, my GU rolls very easily.

·
Registered
nissan
409 Posts
Cheers
RD
Tyres, brakes, wheel alignment aside, the GU will move slower at first. It's heavier and has more inertia to overcome. That's basic physics...

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,078 Posts
Had a quick look but I think the GU is a rough 400kg heavier than an MQ in kerb weight.
More air in the tyres... ;)

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
182 Posts
What rear brakes are on the MQ - drum or disc?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,045 Posts
I forgot to mention in my first post that my old girl goes just under 3T one of the descriptions of inertia is "the power required to overcome friction and the inertia of the moving parts". Bloody hard to get those wheels rolling with discs all around.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Disc brakes and tyres.
Funny about the Bridgestones and Toyo's. My GQ went the other way. Bridgies were horrible, Toyo AT reduced rolling resistance a heap.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a bit of a test when I got home this arvo.
I wanted to see if it made any difference to speed once the Patrol was warmed up with tyres at normal running temp after driving for 40 mins so let her roll down the street from the same position as when starting off in the morning.

The result was that it did actually pick up speed quicker and was going faster at a certain point down the road.
It shows that it rolls easier on warmed up tyres than cold but it was still slower than the MQ at the same point.

The point of reference is the first bend in the road approx. 80m away (rolling speed 18km/h) and the second approx. 200m (25km/h) from the start so it does give it a chance to build up speed after overcoming the initial ” come on move ya bastard”.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah - drum brakes don't drag unless something is wrong. Disc brakes commonly drag unless everything is new and perfect.
My Cabstar truck has drums all round and cheap 750R15 tyres. Compared to the Cabstar the PaTroll rolls like a bessa block.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,045 Posts
Yeah - drum brakes don't drag unless something is wrong. Disc brakes commonly drag unless everything is new and perfect.
My Cabstar truck has drums all round and cheap 750R15 tyres. Compared to the Cabstar the PaTroll rolls like a bessa block.
Yes, that's physics for you, one gets pulled back by a spring and the other has constant contact.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts