Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A neighbour just loaned me his copy of the current issue (November 2010) of 4x4 Australia magazine so I could read an article by Ron Moon.

On page 141 Ron talks about his ill-fated trip into WA. His problem involved trying to start the Patrol in some remote location, only to find that the starter motor worked/cranked, but there was no life in the engine.

He did not explain what happened, other than to say (near the end of the article) that Kittles Nissan in Alice Springs (where he had the Patrol flat-bedded to) had to reprogram the ECU.

Now, I find this bloody hard to believe because Ron's Patrol (as far as I am aware) is a 2000 model 4.2TD, so the only computers would be in the radio, window winding mechanism, etc. I cannot think of any ECU (or similar) that could cause such a vehicle to fail. It could, I guess, be something to do with the NATS system? I think Brunswick Diesel junked my NATS when they installed the Chev engine....Hmmm, maybe I should go and check that.

Anyway, being a curious bloke, I have fired an email off to him to ask what happened....no harm in trying, eh??

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,204 Posts
Now, I find this bloody hard to believe because Ron's Patrol (as far as I am aware) is a 2000 model 4.2TD, so the only computers would be in the radio, window winding mechanism, etc. I cannot think of any ECU (or similar) that could cause such a vehicle to fail.
Bwhahaha , I better be careful of my ECU then eh , but seriously it will be interesting to find out what actually happened to it

·
nissan patrol
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeh, I'm starting to think the other possibility is a blown fusible link in the ignition circuit or something similar. But NATS is the most likely I guess.

A vehicle like that will only stop (or not start) due to a fuel or air issue (providing he can kick it over, which he apparently could).

Anyway, I will wait and see what he says......

·
Registered
362 Posts
Isn't the NATS system in all GUs controlled by an ECU? That was how i believed it to work. I have heard this in several places that the key can lose its connection with the car and it will only wind over but not start.

I may be wrong but i have heard it a few places before

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,204 Posts
Isn't the NATS system in all GUs controlled by an ECU? That was how i believed it to work. I have heard this in several places that the key can lose its connection with the car and it will only wind over but not start.

I may be wrong but i have heard it a few places before
Yeah mate true , if the chip in the key is lost or s h i t s itself it will only wind over and not start , so maybe this happened , hopefully we will find out

·
nissan patrol
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry guys, no NATS on a 2000 series one guys!
Matt, Sorry, but not quite true.....My first GU (Manufactured December 2000) was a 4.2TD and had both NATS and ABS/Passenger air bag. My current rig was originally a 4.2TD Manufactured October 2000 and also has NATS, although I'm not sure that it hasn't been disabled because the red LED doesn't flash on the top of the dash anymore.

So, let's assume that the NATS did chit itself in some remote location.....what would/could we do? My initial thoughts are to simply bridge a wire from the battery to the fuel shut-off solenoid. That would open the solenoid so that fuel could flow; we already agree that the starter still works, so we should be good to go?? Or (as usual) am I missing something else??

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
I'm sure if it was something obvious/simple, Ron Moon the super adventurer would have had the smarts to fix it. No mountain too high....No river too deep and all that stuff!!!!!

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,720 Posts
Hey guys, I'd say its the NATS too. A mate of mine has a 2000 TD42T, as said he lost the little red chip thing out of the key, so she wouldn't fire. Grabed his wifes key and it fired straight up. From then on i make sure my wife has her key aswell when we go away, just incase. My series 4 key is totally different to his but would still work the same.
At a push you can remoove the code hoping solinoid off the std fuel cut solinoid,(at the IP) then just give it 12v.
This IMO would be the only thing that would stop one, given that even the latter 4.2's with an ecu will run fine(all be it fully advanced)with the ecu disconnected.;)

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
ECU ? I wonder if that's just some rubbish the editor put in there to make the story sound more interesting.

Flat bed? Why not? Jump on the sat phone and ring though. Most likely the company will pay so there would be no incentive to have a go at getting it running.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Biggest plagiarist on the planet IMO.
x2

A photo i took and had published in a magazine a few years ago ended up on the cover of another magazine. The photo was also in Moons article and he took credit for it. The photo was from a chopper of a mob of pigs and couldn't be replicated with the number and positioning of the pigs in the shot.

·
Registered
nissan
189 Posts
yeah i read this article too, was very low on details. spent more time talking about the dodgie troopy they were in

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,204 Posts
Matt, Sorry, but not quite true.....My first GU (Manufactured December 2000) was a 4.2TD and had both NATS and ABS/Passenger air bag.
X2 , mines a March 2000 and has both NATS & ABS/Passenger side air bag, I dropped my keys once and not knowing the chip fell out all it would do was wind over and not start , once the chip was back in it was fine

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.