Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Rhino Pioneer Flat Tradie Platform rack fitted to their troll? I have been looking for a flat deck rack for some time and only came across this option today, I have 90mm above the highest part of the roof (3" lift) to fit under my roller door (no it won't go up further :)) and I don't want to keep taking the rack on and off, that was why I sold my steel ARB a few years ago. I's sounds like I should be able to drive in and winch this one up to the roof if I want to take it off. They are rated to 120Kg so I'm told (trolls are only rated to 100Kg anyway).

From the bottom of the gutter to the bottom of the roller door is 160mm, if someone does have one, can you tell me how far it is from the bottom of the gutter to the top of the rack? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
nissan
237 Posts
At the back of the rack:

the angle on the tape with the previous measures:

Front of the rack measurement (should be 10mm longer)

Spacer under front legs to add 10mm to front of rack:

Measured in the centre of the back of the rack / roof:

And the middle / front (sorry its hard to get a good photo here):

Hope they help mate, have been very happy with my rack.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rory, I really appreciate that, I think it will fit OK, I want to hang an awning off the side as well and still keep that below the top level, should be close.

Thanks again mate.

·
Registered
nissan
237 Posts
Thanks Rory, I really appreciate that, I think it will fit OK, I want to hang an awning off the side as well and still keep that below the top level, should be close.

Thanks again mate.
I have a Rhino Rack Sunseeker II awning on mine, the studs protrude a little above the rack top but only about 15mm I think. Can check later if you like?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Mate I scored my rtt rack pretty cheap and retrofit it with rhino feet. Works a treat. Rhino feet come in 3 or 4 heights so make sure you measure before you buy. I put the shortest ones on and they are fine for when I bolt various things to my roof.. and my awning fit on fine too.

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guy's. I haven't had much to do with the Rhino gear but damn they have some good s***, I bought it all late this morning, receiving in a week, JTS gave me a booklet and I went through it last night and again this morning on their online link at the shop (great guy's there actually and only down the road from me), so it's going to be 150-160mm above the gutter and the awning will be basically level with the top. The awning I bought (featherweight) is 120mm wide so it will fit neatly onto the side with the rhino bracket being just a few mm above the platform, the 3" lift on the truck gives me plenty of head room underneath. If the worst comes to the worst I can raise the roller door maybe an inch but it will be close ;).

I tried to remove the top of my thumb early this morning with the gardening secateurs I carefully sharpened recently to clinical sharpness (it went through the fingernail like a hot knife through butter) :shock: :headwall:, I went to JTS straight after I finished with the doctor who sewed the top back up :rolleyes: while the injections were still working ;), I also thought the timing was great as my missus felt sorry for me :):):):).

So if anyone wants their secateurs sharpened I'm your man :withstup:.

·
Registered
nissan
237 Posts
Thanks guy's. I haven't had much to do with the Rhino gear but damn they have some good s***, I bought it all late this morning, receiving in a week, JTS gave me a booklet and I went through it last night and again this morning on their online link at the shop (great guy's there actually and only down the road from me), so it's going to be 150-160mm above the gutter and the awning will be basically level with the top. The awning I bought (featherweight) is 120mm wide so it will fit neatly onto the side with the rhino bracket being just a few mm above the platform, the 3" lift on the truck gives me plenty of head room underneath. If the worst comes to the worst I can raise the roller door maybe an inch but it will be close .

I tried to remove the top of my thumb early this morning with the gardening secateurs I carefully sharpened recently to clinical sharpness (it went through the fingernail like a hot knife through butter) , I went to JTS straight after I finished with the doctor who sewed the top back up :rolleyes: while the injections were still working ;), I also thought the timing was great as my missus felt sorry for me :):):):).

So if anyone wants their secateurs sharpened I'm your man :withstup:.
Damn you work fast, looking for a while for a rack and then you find something and its already done

The awnings do sit nicely on a "down" bracket see here:

Causing yourself pain to make your missus happy enough at you isnt exactly normal but I'm sure your not the first person to do it, and someone has probobaly done it on purpose too. Infact that mightn't be such a bad idea...

Let us know what you think of the rack when it arrives mate.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it takes a while for me to make my decision but once done I can't stop myself. I had to take advantage of the "pity" syndrome straight away, it won't last long ;) by next week I'll slip back to my usual popular as a pork chop in a synagogue on days that end in a "Y".

Mate seeing yours from a distance in the last pics, what you have is exactly what I envisaged, if it arrives and looks like that I'll be as happy as a dog with 2 dicks.

The awning will sit just behind my snorkel and still get inside the garage door :).

The needles are wearing off :(.

EDIT: Is yours the 2100 x 1426 platform?

·
Registered
nissan
237 Posts
Yes, it takes a while for me to make my decision but once done I can't stop myself. I had to take advantage of the "pity" syndrome straight away, it won't last long ;) by next week I'll slip back to my usual popular as a pork chop in a synagogue on days that end in a "Y".

Mate seeing yours from a distance in the last pics, what you have is exactly what I envisaged, if it arrives and looks like that I'll be as happy as a dog with 2 dicks.

The awning will sit just behind my snorkel and still get inside the garage door :).

The needles are wearing off :(.

EDIT: Is yours the 2100 x 1426 platform?
Haha I know what you mean, looking for so long for something, theres not much point in delaying once you find it. Haha milk it while you can I say.

Thats good mate, have a look through my build thread for some more photos if you like. Post 35 has the first picture of the new rack. http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-rides-19/rorys-06-gu-zd30-wagon-158369/index2.html

Sounds like a perfect fit for you mate, Have another mate with a 3" lifted GU and he is in the exact same position as you, keeps his car in the garage and wants a rack. His is also as close to fitting as not fitting.

Sucks about the needles mate, hope its not too bad without them.

Mine is 2128 x 1426 so yes mate, the 2100 by 1400. Ive got all the bits listed for the flat rack here Fit My Car | Rhino-Rack

I did try a 1200 wide rack but it didnt fit, even with spacers so had to take it back for the 1400 wide rack.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a 1928 x 1376 but it only had 2 feet per side which wasn't enough for what I want to do, so I went with the 2128, even though I measured, it is not always that easy to envisage the outcome but your 1426 does not look to be too intrusive out the side. I won't have it for a week so it should arrive about the same time the stitches come out :), maybe I'll get another days sympathy then.........

Mate I really appreciate your input, I had a look at the pic of yours from front on with nothing on it, man that is going to fit under my door no worries (he says knowingly ;)).

·
Registered
nissan
237 Posts
There was a 1928 x 1376 but it only had 2 feet per side which wasn't enough for what I want to do, so I went with the 2128, even though I measured, it is not always that easy to envisage the outcome but your 1426 does not look to be too intrusive out the side. I won't have it for a week so it should arrive about the same time the stitches come out :), maybe I'll get another days sympathy then.........

Mate I really appreciate your input, I had a look at the pic of yours from front on with nothing on it, man that is going to fit under my door no worries (he says knowingly ;)).
Yeah I know what you mean, more feet is always going to be more stable.
I was worried about the overhang but in the end it wasn't too bad at all.
Haha you might get so lucky as to get double sympathy.

No worries mate, if you get desperate for another cm you might be able to trim the support bars down that you have to place in under the rack and get them rewelded skinnyer. Thats if worst comes to worst.
Haha now its all on you for it fitting :p

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
313 Posts
I had the same height dramas. 2" lift, 33s and this rack see me clear the roller door by about 30mm.
So far it's been great. I got the full length one which was the widest (don't remember actual sizes) then shortened by about 200mm so it starts back a bit further out of the windscreen up draft. Yet to put an awning on though.

Sent from somewhere I wish I wasn't.

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
Yes it is a pitty that none of the rack makers will do a rack any lower than this. I have the same issues now I have the fiberglass roof top camper on, I have to be cautious when I inch into the driveway, under the edge of the house eves.

I had a lot of other Rhino rack gear and have always preferred their stuff because it is easy to customise by moving brackets and simply bolting things onto the tracks. But now the lowest height they have is simply not quite low enough.

Yesterday I went into the Jarram, Tracklander rack factory here in WA. They have gutter mount legs that are 100mm high, so that only reduces the height by 10mm from the Rhino Rack 110mm legs (still not enough for what I need).

They will make me a custom flat rack but still did not want to make it too close to the roof. So I bought a pair of their legs and a cross bar to do some testing of my own. I asked if they will make a flat rack so that the mounts of the legs can bolt to a flat plate up beside the cross rails and level with the top surface of the flat tray. They will make this for me so that the complete rack is only 110mm high from the gutter. That makes the highest part is 45mm above the top of the roof and only 10mm gap to the roof.

The Jarram guy thinks it might rub on the roof, but I think it is worth the risk as this gains me about 60mm lower than any other rack I can get. So it can be done but is not going to be as easy as buying a Rhino flat rack.

OH and by the way the Jarram Tracklander feet mount to the rack with the same sort of flat lock plates as Rhino use (but they are a few mm wider). So I found that you can get 10mm extra and mount Rhino bars on the Tracklander 100mm legs if you swap the mounting bolts twist-lock plate things.

You can also gain 10mm at the front of the rack by not using the front spacer, instead you trim about 5 to 8mm off the base of the gutter feet for the two centre mount legs only and the rack will sit flat. But what is 10mm worth.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the same height dramas. 2" lift, 33s and this rack see me clear the roller door by about 30mm.
So far it's been great. I got the full length one which was the widest (don't remember actual sizes) then shortened by about 200mm so it starts back a bit further out of the windscreen up draft. Yet to put an awning on though.

Sent from somewhere I wish I wasn't.
Yes, being modular the sky is the limit really for an industrious person, mine will sit just behind the rake of the screen to minimise drag and wind noise.

Geordie, that is great info, thanks for your insight, anything I can lose in height is a big bonus for other mountings I may fit from time to time.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 4.8
8 Posts
Haha I know what you mean, looking for so long for something, theres not much point in delaying once you find it. Haha milk it while you can I say.

Thats good mate, have a look through my build thread for some more photos if you like. Post 35 has the first picture of the new rack. http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-rides-19/rorys-06-gu-zd30-wagon-158369/index2.html

Sounds like a perfect fit for you mate, Have another mate with a 3" lifted GU and he is in the exact same position as you, keeps his car in the garage and wants a rack. His is also as close to fitting as not fitting.

Sucks about the needles mate, hope its not too bad without them.

Mine is 2128 x 1426 so yes mate, the 2100 by 1400. Ive got all the bits listed for the flat rack here Fit My Car | Rhino-Rack

I did try a 1200 wide rack but it didnt fit, even with spacers so had to take it back for the 1400 wide rack.
Hey Fellas, Digging up an old thread here. Rory GU, just wondering why the 1200 wide rack didn't fit? Have found a second hand one for a pretty good price but it doesn't come with gutter mounts. So will just need to source them and in the same boat as trying to keep it as low as possible.

Cheers, Tim.

·
Registered
nissan
237 Posts
Hey Fellas, Digging up an old thread here. Rory GU, just wondering why the 1200 wide rack didn't fit? Have found a second hand one for a pretty good price but it doesn't come with gutter mounts. So will just need to source them and in the same boat as trying to keep it as low as possible.

Cheers, Tim.
Hey Tim, it was a while ago that this all transpired. I think I got the 1200 wide and with some adaptors that rhino make to fit the legs outside the rack it was still not going to fit. I think there is a size between the 1200 and the 1400 that "might" work but I didn't want to stuff anyone around with ordering another rack that might not fit.

The adaptors I got to try and fit the 1200 rack were a requirement for some Jeep models from memory. I'm sure you can find them on the rhino website if you look around.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 4.8
8 Posts
No worries, will do a but more searching around. thanks for the reply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts