Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering what to get 3 bar roof racks or a full roof cage just wondering why people one of these 2
Cheers Shanon

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,198 Posts
Hi just wondering what to get 3 bar roof racks or a full roof cage just wondering why people one of these 2
Cheers Shanon
Mate it's horses for courses, I have both, just depends on where your going and what your going to carry. If your going to do the Tanami a full roof rack will probably be needed to carry all the junk you need, if your just going away for the weekend then roof bars are generally fine.

The thing I hate about my you beaut ARB rack, which I've had for years, is getting the damn thing off when I don't need it!!!!

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Full lenght rack for sure, get an alloy one weighs about 20kg leave it on all the time.

·
Slow But Reliable
nissan gq patrol
527 Posts
Full rack. Got mine at a garage sale 4 years ago for $150. Gave it a quick spray and has been good ever since.

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Go the rack I've got a Tracklander & never take it off, i'ts saved the roof a couple of times from tree damage & best of all it's ally & weighs bugger all no wind noise either which I had with my roof bars on another 4wd.

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
I recommend the full Cage Have got one on the GQ I leave it there all the time. I've had roof bars on other cars & they just don't do as well, also if ya can get a cage with a aerodynamic front, it helps the car grip more in strong wind

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
May be a stupid question, but why don't you get bars and a full length rack that can bolt to the bars? I used to have a 4runner with this setup and it was spot on simply coz you can take the rack on and off by yourself coz your just sliding it onto the bars.

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
as the guy about says I have that sort of setup....best of both worlds

·
Registered
nissan
1,731 Posts
as the guy about says I have that sort of setup....best of both worlds
x3 I also mounted my shade awning off the roof racks so it isn't reliant on having the cage on top.

·
If you drive a box you get box
1,115 Posts
i was goin to ask a similar question (mainly because ive got to get something to mount an awning to). thought that bars most of the time will be a waste of space as i cant potentially use them

looked at the black widow cages today, stupidly light for their size, and the official word so far (someone correct me if im wrong) - "you'll have more dramas overloading the gutters before you will the rack"

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have a full alloy rack and I use it all the time.
You can put any sized item on a rack, big or small.
I throw fire wood on it.
You can put a chair on it at the local footy or mud racing.
Ive even used mine as a scaffold.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Full Roof Rack all the way.

Although bars that can have a rack bolted on would be ideal i reckon. . .

I reckon my full length rack really damaged my economy..... but it's pretty handy. . . Great for picking up good quality hard rubbish at random times ;)

TF

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Roof bars are ok for tradies (ladders, long items etc.) But for touring and camping you can't beat a full length cage with mesh floor. I've had both and I'd never go back to roof bars for 4wding.
Mines all alloy with runners the full length of the gutters with protective plastic channel. I can slide it on and off easily myself it weighs about 25kg.
Just my opinion, works for me anyway :) Horses for courses.

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
I have Rhino Rack Alloy platform, like a tray but no sides, sort of a hybrid between bars and a full tray i guess. Easy to load surfboards ladders, planks of wood etc but it can also take firewood, cargo boxes, bags (no more rubbish in the cabin) etc. I also have adjustable tie down eyelets that can be moved to almost any position on the platform and a gas bottle holder. You can also get jerry can holders, shovel and high lift jack holders, spotlight mounts, aerial mounts and awning mounts (although might only be for rhino awnings).

It only adds 10cm to the height of the car so I leave it on all the time.

I was thinking of getting bars with a removable tray but I was worried it would become another PIA thing to do each time I go on a trip. Plus when not in use I would have needed to store it where the kids couldn't swing off it!

Here is a pic:

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
I have a full length cage but its steel and weighs a tonne. Can't take it off on my own. get an ally one if you can.

---Bushy67---

·
Registered
nissan
40 Posts
I have Rhino Rack Alloy platform, like a tray but no sides, sort of a hybrid between bars and a full tray i guess. Easy to load surfboards ladders, planks of wood etc but it can also take firewood, cargo boxes, bags (no more rubbish in the cabin) etc. I also have adjustable tie down eyelets that can be moved to almost any position on the platform and a gas bottle holder. You can also get jerry can holders, shovel and high lift jack holders, spotlight mounts, aerial mounts and awning mounts (although might only be for rhino awnings).

It only adds 10cm to the height of the car so I leave it on all the time.

I was thinking of getting bars with a removable tray but I was worried it would become another PIA thing to do each time I go on a trip. Plus when not in use I would have needed to store it where the kids couldn't swing off it!

Here is a pic:
Hey Luke, that looks really good.
Would you tell us $$$ for that one and is it wider than roof as it looks on your pic.
Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
We had both for the last car, but almost never used the bars. Even though we had 2 Rhino bars, we decided to buy a full length steel Tradesman rack for less than the cost of a 3rd Rhino bar plus a full length cage to strap to it.

The advantage of a full length rack not stated so far, is that most have full length channel rails which helps to spread the load a bit, along the roof channels. I think you'd also find it longer / fiddlier to attach 3 roof bars plus bolt a rack to the top rather than just strap on a full length rack.

For the GU, we've got a full length alloy ARB rack. The old steel one was heavy to the point where my wife (although very fit) struggled to hold it all full arms height whilst we walked it on / off, hence it was only a matter of time till we damaged the car. I think you'd need a pully system on the roof of the garage to lift it off if yo were taking a steel rack on and off for trips. The alloy rack is much lighter, so not so much problem, however it is still a PITA enough that I'm intending to put some pullys up in the carport (PITA factor plus storage factor).

I'd probably consider one of the flat full length racks if doing it again. My preference would still definatley be for alloy, but with the lower profile you wouldn't be taking it off as much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts