Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan aptrol y62 ti-l
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have followed you all for over a year and based on your comments, have finally bought a Y62. The acceleration is totally addictive and I'm expecting to see the Servo staff a bit more regularly for a few weeks.
The first thing I tried doing was installing Rola surfboard style roof racks but the front mount position puts the bar above the sunroof and the noise was ridiculously loud! The shop is getting a set of Thule aero-style rack to try next week. I'd rather get the roof rails that are shown on the new 2014/15 model overseas as I have found the ability to slide racks back from a sunroof reduces the noise but I have been told they aren't available here in Australia. Has anybody found an alternative solution or is there a way to purchase the rails?

·
Registered
nissan
78 Posts
I've been struggling with this same dilemma. I want to get some form of roof rack, but I don't want it to cover the sunroof. I hadn't thought of the noise aspect, just didn't want to obstruct it - but thanks for mentioning it.

I know the QX56 come standard with side rails, which would allow to slide racks wherever you like:

They should fit straight onto a Y62. I wasn't able to find a source for a single set last time I looked, but I did find an ad for 50 pairs minimum.

While on the subject, anyone know of any cages / (almost) full length racks that don't cover the sunroof?

·
nissan patrol
501 Posts
I've seen racks fitted on top of the side rails and they look reeedickulus. Really high and looks like an after thought.
Look at my avatar - this is an ARB bar, not quite full length trady type but still you can see it thru the sun roof.

·
Registered
nissan aptrol y62 ti-l
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's strange that Nissan don't want to bring the slide rails in themselves. The original 200 Series Sahara in 07/08 was the same, whilst the Lexus version had them.
If you place the racks at the rear two mounts any over hanging items, like stuff you buy at Bunnings, wont allow the tailgate to open. I attach a cage on to the racks with U-bolts for light weight items like swags as I've never been happy storing heavy items on the roof.
The aero Rola racks the shop supplied made noise at 50km/h and started sounding like distant dingo's howling by 70km/h. The shop offered a refund but I need racks and hope the solution exists without the stupid look Jeep has for theirs. If the Thule racks work next week I'll let you know.

·
Registered
nissan aptrol y62 ti-l
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Patroly62 that's a fair question and I'm not sure of an answer but based on the racks I looked at being $350-$400 I would thought around $300 would be a sensible price. However, sensible and 4WD accessories don't travel well together now do they?

·
nissan patrol
501 Posts
This is the Ants Pants

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
Rhino do a "pioneer platform" for the Y62 now ... just fitted one today.
Looks very similar to the black one above.
cheers
John

·
nissan patrol
501 Posts
Becoming very popular - the platform type - you can fix anything to it with specialty parts and do away with the trady type side rails.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Just found out that the OEM roof rails will cost around $400-$450 AUD and can only order 3 sets at a time.

They are not factory ones but I assume made by the original equipment manufacturer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan aptrol y62 ti-l
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have just installed the Thule Wing Bar, with 10cm over hang, surfboard style roof racks over the sunroof. They are significantly quieter than the Rola Racks. Whilst some wind noise remains its not very loud and the dingoes have disappeared.

·
Registered
nissan
78 Posts
I have just installed the Thule Wing Bar, with 10cm over hang, surfboard style roof racks over the sunroof. They are significantly quieter than the Rola Racks. Whilst some wind noise remains its not very loud and the dingoes have disappeared.
Have you got a picture mate? I'm interested to see how it all looks.

·
Registered
nissan aptrol y62 ti-l
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do I attach a photograph? Forgive my two fingered typing on these new fangled gizmos. I'm still amazed at the fact that I joined a forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts