Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am looking into getting a roof top tent and don't know what type to get.
I have looked into the hard top ones and while i do like these ones they are very expensive.
i am looking at spending up to $2000 and would be wanting to sleep 2 adults and a 2 year old as well. There are a lot of different brands out there but would like some more info regarding how water proof they are and how easy they are to set up.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
We had an Eezy Awn (you might have to copy and paste the link - I'm not sure)1.4m Series 3 Eezi Awn tent
for a couple of years, we live in Gippsland, so it saw plenty of rain. The roof was water proof for starters, then it had a water proof fly over the top too. Ours was 1.2 x 1.4 folded and open out to 2.4 x 1.4. It was great, easy to use, etc, but we've since upgraded to a carry me camper.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Hannibal which even the missus likes. Done the deserts, Tassie, channel country and high country.

Great unit & I have seen a couple of second hand ones on other forums.

Recommend one.

Cheers

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
mine is bout a zilllion years old. picked it up from a mate for $250. sleeps my partner and i in quite a few places aound oz and is about to do a 6 week road trip. its water tight i fitted lighting and a fan into it and i cant complain. doesn't really help you out though. but i do think they are a great invention.

·
Registered
325 Posts
eBay is your friend! I bought ours off eBay for $1050 delivered including the annex.. Looks like it came from the same factory as the ARB one! Some pics of it in my build thread. The girl and I both love it!
Tod-

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have not really looked into them, reason being that one you have set up camp you cannot go anywhere without packing up again..... what a PITA, IMHO only......
Just plan your trip better.. Proper planning and preparation prevents pi55 poor performance. Take a pop shade or tarp setup if you want to make camp for an extended period, and setup the roof top once you are ready to settle in for the night. :cool:

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
64 Posts
got new ARB simpson series 3 tent and 2.5m annexe. happy with it but i would love to compare side by side with hannibal unit if i was to buy again. avoid ARB simspon series 2 tents if buying 2nd hand. there are lots of quality complaints on exploreoz website. (there may be as many on simspon 3 by now tho).

rooftop tents only drawback is they are a little fiddly with all the bits to extend and setup plus when you run out of beer its sh*t when you cant leave the mrs behind and take the car into town to get piss without packing the whole thing up. PRIOR PACKING OF ADEQUATE PISS PREVENTS POSSIBILITY OF POOR TIME

if i was camping alone id be in a swag on the floor, leaving the r/t tent only for when the mrs is onboard (poor thing worries about crocs and drop bears). its not worth the effort if your're heavily lifted and got gear up top too. takes 5-10 mins to setup properly (mine has the ladder installed on the drivers side- would probably install 90 degrees out with ladder at rear had ARB bothered to ask me) i'm considering 25mm spacer blocks to get mine up off the roof rack, it's a bugger to get cover on and off

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
G'day guys,
I bought a no name roof top tent off ebay over 3 years ago for $650, got $250 bucks back when it showed some cracks in the lining inside. Yet, no problems with waterproofing. We've has some massive downpoors and it has been great. No mud or water running through your tent! ARB's tents are practically the same, the only main difference being the zips (YKK - no name).
Now, mine is mounted on a 6x4 trailer I modified myself to carry gear and the tent. No worries about running out of beer, plenty of room in the car and trailer for heaps of grog and IF I'd run out, I can just send my mrs off!
Every time we've been out and abouts I get questions about the trailer because it's a low cost and easy way to get around!
Dutchy

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol guiii st plus
46 Posts
thats a great idea .. u haven any photos of the trailer build? i have a nice 6 x4 high sides trailer .. that needs some tlc soon ..
cheers

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
The ARB Simpson II is what you will find on EBay .. i have on also, it;s fine for most people..cheap.
As far as comparing to Hannibal tents it's a flimsy piece of crap, half the price....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts