Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at going a hard shell aluminium roof top tent, but am concerned the car will handle a bit crappy for off road duties as opposed to touring given they are between 60 and 90kg. Anyone got one and can comment on whether I will hate it or not, will most likely upgrade to 2.5" shocks once fitted

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
You will initially notice the weight difference. But get used to it quickly and set up sway bars etc to counteract the extra roll.

Really depends on the suspension set up, decent hd sway bars make a huge difference with the weight on the roof. Big lift and soft flexy sway bars for rock crawler will have it riding like a boat. Also depends a lot how you want to drive it, how crazy tracks you still plan to do or how sensible you can be if needed.

I have been using a hard shell fiberglass rooftop camper for quite a few years now. Been around Australia, up the Cape, did all the usual challenges on the OTT, Frenchman track and CREB which was pretty steep, slippery and got interesting in places. Also three trips through the Vic High country tracks, tried to avoid any really silly tracks but some like up I think it was called Billy Goat Bluff, and another Collingwood Spurr were pushing the boundaries. But really didn't have any issues because of the rooftop camper as long as your sensible.

I'm not always sensible but usually the wife says do you "really" need to go up there.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You will initially notice the weight difference. But get used to it quickly and set up sway bars etc to counteract the extra roll.

Really depends on the suspension set up, decent hd sway bars make a huge difference with the weight on the roof. Big lift and soft flexy sway bars for rock crawler will have it riding like a boat. Also depends a lot how you want to drive it, how crazy tracks you still plan to do or how sensible you can be if needed.

I have been using a hard shell fiberglass rooftop camper for quite a few years now. Been around Australia, up the Cape, did all the usual challenges on the OTT, Frenchman track and CREB which was pretty steep, slippery and got interesting in places. Also three trips through the Vic High country tracks, tried to avoid any really silly tracks but some like up I think it was called Billy Goat Bluff, and another Collingwood Spurr were pushing the boundaries. But really didn't have any issues because of the rooftop camper as long as your sensible.

I'm not always sensible but usually the wife says do you "really" need to go up there.
I’ve been up that Collingwood spur, if it’s the one I’m thinking of I reckon it’s steeper than Billy Goats bluff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I’ve been up that Collingwood spur, if it’s the one I’m thinking of I reckon it’s steeper than Billy Goats bluff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That one was without the wife in the passenger side for added ballance or sensibility checking. I think it gave me a bit of a brown pants moment when both front wheels came off the ground for a moment. I really wouldn't be planning on going up there again with the camper weight on the rooftop.

·
Registered
Nissan
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, would you recommend heavy duty sway bars front and rear or just rear?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Thanks, would you recommend heavy duty sway bars front and rear or just rear?
I just have a HD White-line on the rear and a Superflex Superior on the front. The rear makes more difference to body roll around roundabouts or long fast sweeping bends on the road where you get leaning more and more as you go through. But the front is important for balance and particularly into a corner then like a sudden slight change in steering direction or a dip into a corner. Really depends a lot on other weight distribution shocks and springs etc. Often best and most predictable results are matched sets of front and rear sway bars, springs shocks etc for everything being better balanced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts