Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just looking at these rubber insert / panel things that are located inside the front wheel arches of the GU. They hold on with some plastic clips, but the have split and are flapping around everywhere. It looks like they protect the engine bay from muck getting thrown in there from the tyres etc.

Are these really necessary, or should I discard them?

If they are necessary, can anyone suggest a better material to put there or a better way to hold them in place?

If this all sounds double dutch, I can post a photo to indicate what I'm banging on about.....

Thanks in advance,
Grant.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
You are talking about the 'inner' mudflap thingos? I have the same issue, you can buy clip kits from Supercrap and re-fit them if its just the clips that are failing otherwise, you could get Tek screws with big washers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I reackon i'd hang onto them, as you're right they stop all sorts from getting flung into the engine bay. Try nizzbits for geniune $$? or Clark Rubber (if you've got that up your way) should have something to do the job.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Definitely keep them, they also play a part in air flow around the engine bay, a good thing to keep in mind with this type of thing is if they weren't necessary, Motor Companies would not have spent all that money fitting them.

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fella's. I might look at the tek screw option, because the plastic clips are just rubbish. I can't see that it should hurt, it doesn't look like there would be much movement required in them???

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Yeah, mine have been stuck on with some silicone type stuff and has held up well. Not sure what stuff but seem to do the trick as it complements the securing of the screws.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Hi Youngbloke,
yes keep them there. I have used a whole tube gun of black silicone to stick the bloody things back in and fill the overhang where heaps of mud builds up between metal and plastic (rust candidate).

I used Sellys roof and gutter sealant as it sticks better than the automotive stuff and cheaper than Sikka and you can still peel it off if needed.

For the mud flaps I went and got a sheet of 3 or 4mm thick black Pollypropylene from a place that makes dam liners (Jaylon in WA there may be one in other states) it was a cheap $20 offcut way cheaper than rubber from Clarkes. I then cut big sheets to extend the mud flap all the way up under the back of the guard to cover all the places where mud collects. Also gave me room to fit bigger tyres by pinning the flaps back further than the standard ones.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Mine too are ripped.. Tek Screws and washers is the answer until they rip again.

You can buy new rubber from Purple Pig for fairly cheap.

Nissan want 3 homes and 2 states and 4 healthy kidneys for each one.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Mine too are ripped.. Tek Screws and washers is the answer until they rip again.

You can buy new rubber from Purple Pig for fairly cheap.

Nissan want 3 homes and 2 states and 4 healthy kidneys for each one.
But you can buy the rubber, 3 homes, 2 states and 4 healthy kids for 50cents from China

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do they need to be rubber??

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
I made my own out of some black foam PVC I had at work and tech screwed them on. A bit stiffer than rubber works a treat.

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Dont waist your time with the genuine ones. When I got my troll... my ones where torn off so I ordered a new set from super dear Mr. Nissan Genuine. Cost bloody $90 each with clips, my arm leg and the Chinese kids. After I got them I realized I could have got rubber and cut my own out like other have said here. only advantage of genuine is laziness factor.
But defiantly leave them on.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,141 Posts
Try and buy rubber that has a linen liner between the rubber, can get from any rubber place.
Normally about 15.00 a 1/2 metre.

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again fella's for your idea's and imput. It's very much appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just went to my local tyre shop and asked for 2 blown inner tubes.... Cost me nothing.

Half an hour cutting to size and voila, good as new.

Cheers,
Josh

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
I just went to claark rubber and used the old one as a template, clark rubber also sell the clips, so i bought a hand full more and put twice as many clips in, had no probs since.

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
G'day Chicken. Did you drill additional holes to fit the extra clips? Did that prevent any tearing or flapping? How long have they been done, and how much off road punishment have that had? How are they holding up? Sorry for all the questions, still weighing up the tech screw option.....

Thanks and regards,
Grant

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Did you drill additional holes to fit the extra clips? Yes
Did that prevent any tearing or flapping? Yes
How long have they been done. About a year and a half.
And how much off road punishment have that had? A fair bit, + alot of padocks and gravel roads
How are they holding up? All good, have had no problems since, stiff as.

If you buy some rubber make sure you get some thats a bit thicker, and has the thread in it.

I think the tex screw idea is a bit rough, IMO.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts