Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I'm trying to sort this for my son in his 2004 GU.

We want to put in a dual battery system (I have the bits needed). We want it in the rear driver's side behind the back seat. I'm looking for a route for the cables from engine bay to rear. Once inside the vehicle, this is simple. On the passenger side I've already run various lighter cables through the major grommet there to the inside and to the rear. On the drivers' side things are not so simple for a large cable.

Is there continuity between the driver kick panel (in which there is at least one large and useable opening) and the engine side wall (not fire wall)? I'm thinking that putting a hole and grommet into the side wall just below the bonnet strut might solve the problem.

I'd appreciate any advice as finding a place and then GETTING to it on the firewall itself is not trivial.

Thanks folk. Apologies if the issue has been handled before but I spent 30 minutes looking on the forum.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,088 Posts
Folks, I'm trying to sort this for my son in his 2004 GU.

We want to put in a dual battery system (I have the bits needed). We want it in the rear driver's side behind the back seat. I'm looking for a route for the cables from engine bay to rear. Once inside the vehicle, this is simple. On the passenger side I've already run various lighter cables through the major grommet there to the inside and to the rear. On the drivers' side things are not so simple for a large cable.

Is there continuity between the driver kick panel (in which there is at least one large and useable opening) and the engine side wall (not fire wall)? I'm thinking that putting a hole and grommet into the side wall just below the bonnet strut might solve the problem.

I'd appreciate any advice as finding a place and then GETTING to it on the firewall itself is not trivial.

Thanks folk. Apologies if the issue has been handled before but I spent 30 minutes looking on the forum.
I've run cable down the driver's side no problem. Straight through the main harnesses grommet on the drivers side firewall then through the channel in the body to the rear

·
Registered
178 Posts
Theres a few grommets in the floor right beside the drivers seat next the door. they should be more than big enough to run your cable through. (thats how i've done mine)

There's also some grommets on top of the transmission tunnel - towards the center-line of the vehicle and rear of the handbrake; below the centre console.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Folks,
Thanks so much for the responses!
I feel like a bit of a dope. I HAD run a thin wire through the large boot at the driver's feet. I'd forgotten that's what it is! When I removed a couple of relays under the bonnet I could see that what I was viewing as a flat metal plate was in fact the boot/grommet. A sharp knife, a nylon line and some silicone spray had the heavy cable through there in very short time.

Thanks again for the info klappers, though I'm embarrassed that I'd forgotten.
J0SHMAN, thanks for the info re those other grommets. It's always handy to know where they are.!
All the best folks. (y)(y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts