Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3.0Td
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, been off-line for a while now... but inbetween ive been tinkering with servicing mods an all.. an yet ive still got the same problem

On start up the car tends to puff unburnt diesel, usually i can tell jus by smelling before seeing the smoke lol, it goes away once the engine is warmed up and driving

Car is been driving fine, an starts up in the coldest condition

Sitting on 210,000kms GU2 ZD30 with 3 inch straight exhaust, exhaust temps are average 250 - 350, depending on driving an incline of the road, and with 35's on it, temps stays up same but tends to climb bit faster :D

So far ive tried to rectify the problem by replacing:

-glow plug timer + new metal tipped bosch tipped plugs (plugs timed to 20 - 30 sec)
-Fuel filter changed
-running diesel additives, but makes minimal effects

So now its a case of either its the Injectors or the pump is on its last leg or something else?

What do you guys think?

Ive only had the car for few months... so hoping its nothing serious :(

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Gday, So it puffs white smoke on startup?

Mate had a Hilux, was puffin diesel on start up. leaky injector it was, maybe something to think about.

I dont think double glowing will do anything here, And they are new plugs. They are metal and on timer, hell I don't even flick my glow switch some mornings, no affect at all other than another 1 second of crank time.

try parking nose up overnight, bonnet higher than rear that is and see if anything changes. You have ECUtalk? see whats happening on startup

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,062 Posts
Before spending heaps of money on pumps and bits you could try some injector cleaner straight into the pump feed, It's a bit tricky but I've carefully blended this into mine using fittings I had previously put into the post filter fuel line for other reasons, rigged the can up to the fitting and watched it blend into the fuel being sucked in by the IP, then shutting the valve before it runs out and the pump starts top suck air.

I didn't do this in response to a problem, I tried it probably 20,000k ago just to give things a clean out.

Don't forget that if you have your EGR blocked your idle will be smellier/richer.

Ball Valve on Fuel Filter outlet, also very handy for bleeding post filter change (don't worry about the other junk on there that's another story).

Fuel line Auto part Engine Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
2003 zd30 manual wagon
554 Posts
I thought a puff of unburnt diesel was normal on start up.
The engine turns over a few times before it fires and the fuel injected on those few turns is unburnt.
Mine does it and a mates zd30 also.
I think it is more prominent with the EGR block done too!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
If it's billowing black smoke - then maybe you have a problem.
If it's a good size puff of black smoke on start it could be the metal glow plugs have not attained full heat...I wouldn't say to double time the glow plugs but you could try adding 5 seconds to the glow plug time on the Kemo and add this time to the glow plug light has went out before engaging the starter.
As a point of interest -- the Bosch metal tips take 10 or 12 seconds to gain full heat of 800 degrees C. whereas ceramics are instant to 1300 deg C.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol gr
920 Posts
As a point of interest -- the Bosch metal tips take 10 or 12 seconds to gain full heat of 800 degrees C. whereas ceramics are instant to 1300 deg C.
Cheers[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true, 10-12 seconds are only need it to start the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.