Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've got a gq td42 turbod and running a pod filter.

Had a dumb moment and drove through a puddle on a gravel road and I think it sucked in some water. It started missing so I turned it of and took the pod off and wiped it out, started it and it was missing and pissing out a heap of white smoke. But by the time I got to the end of the road (1km) it was running fine.

Once home I pulled out the glow plugs and cranked it over and I couldn't see any water come out. The next day it started rough and heaps of white smoke but once again came good after about 500m-1km of driving and wouldn't run rough when warm. So I changed the glow plugs yesterday I changed the glow plugs and same story. It hasn't used any coolant and the oil isn't milky so me and a few mates I have talked to are all stumped.

I was planning on selling it in the next few weeks cause I've bought a 4.8 wagon so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

Any help would be great!

Cheers

·
Registered
4x4 NISSAN
111 Posts
Sounds like you you had a small hydraulic lock happen and now your conrod is a little bit shorter than it was. This would explain it running round cold as you are low in compression in one cylinder( I bet number 4) and once you drive a bit it creates enough heat to start firing. Bad news sorry.

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you you had a small hydraulic lock happen and now your conrod is a little bit shorter than it was. This would explain it running round cold as you are low in compression in one cylinder( I bet number 4) and once you drive a bit it creates enough heat to start firing. Bad news sorry.
Cheers for the reply bullbar, does this mean I'm
Up for a rebuild?

·
Registered
4x4 NISSAN
111 Posts
If your lucky, there may not be any piston/bore damage and you may just need to replace the conrod, but this still means lifting the head of and the sump. I have carried out this job before on my TD and I also replaced the big end bearings while it was apart.

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obviously it's quite a big job, how long did it take you roughy?

Will I damage it more if I keep driving it around till the end of the month when I pick up the new truck?

·
Registered
4x4 NISSAN
111 Posts
Should be fine to keep driving as long as you realize that while it's cold and not firing on that bad cylinder that raw diesel is bore washing the cylinder and putting a bit of diesel it in your oil each time and eventually your oil will thin which is not good at all.

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a compression test on the weekend and all cylinders are sitting on 420-440psi except for number 4 which is sitting on 300. I took it to one mechanic who said it would either be a bent Conrod or stuffed valves. While another mechanic said that because it runs fine when warm that the piston has just scored the bore and it will eventually wear out the scores.

What are your opinions??

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
pull the head, will be able to see a score. but another vote for number 4 rod bent, probably won't be too bent but still effecting the motor workings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts