Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Rust repair cost?

9K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  jtraf 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a GQ, it looks pretty neat but has one patch of rust in the roof gutter, passenger side 3/4 way toward the back.I got the seller to take a photo and send to me which I have attached (its not his car - he is selling on behalf of a friend). I don't think he was aware that the rust was there as after I had left he hit it with some rust converter as you can see in the picture.

I am not in a position to repair this myself so I am wondering if anyone who has went through the drama of rust repair on a GQ could give me an idea of how much rust they had in theirs and how much it cost them? Just trying to work out if this is going to be worth it or if I should walk away.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Gino

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very hard to assess from the photo provided, but when it comes to rust, I am always concerned that there is more rust that you have not seen. In the roof is a bad spot too, in my opinion. t could be all the way round, underneath where you can't see it yet. I would suggest a personal inspection is mandatory to check elsewhere for corrosion.

#3 ·
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a GQ, it looks pretty neat but has one patch of rust in the roof gutter, passenger side 3/4 way toward the back.I got the seller to take a photo and send to me which I have attached (its not his car - he is selling on behalf of a friend). I don't think he was aware that the rust was there as after I had left he hit it with some rust converter as you can see in the picture.

I am not in a position to repair this myself so I am wondering if anyone who has went through the drama of rust repair on a GQ could give me an idea of how much rust they had in theirs and how much it cost them? Just trying to work out if this is going to be worth it or if I should walk away.

Cheers,
Gino
Pass,the rust gets right around the turret and is near as impossible to catch.I talked to an experienced body guy recently about a similar repair and he said he could make it a convertible,the rust was so bad,:sick:.Sometimes a bargain ain't

Cheers,G.

#4 ·
Ahhh, the old neat gq but with a small bit of rust in the roof.... lol

if you buy it don’t touch the rust, paint tectyl all over it, then just let it consume, you would be wasting time and money trying to fix it.

Reactions: Jjjag
#5 ·
The rust in the bottom of the gutter doesn't worry me too much but the rust beside the gutter is a different issue. I've seen a GQ with similar rust that was rusting from the inside out. A year or so after the rust was first noticed there was rust everywhere along that side of the roof. When they started cutting it out they found more and more and more and soon decided to scrap the car.

#6 ·
Thanks for replies guys. I did inspect this car and couldn’t see any other rust but who knows what could be hidden. It seems unanimous that this is something to be worried about. Hard to find one of these without rust somewhere 😔

#8 ·
You will find one that lives under cover,it will be fine,then pull out the roof lining and spray a good rust penetrant [Penetrol] up into the triple layer turret structure.It is not accessible otherwise as the widest section is about 70mm above the gutter level inside.We have 4 GQs in the family,one '89 has small visible roof rust,one '90 has been completely stripped,inspected then Penetrolled throughout after painting then reassembled,big task but totally reassuring [ better than new now ] with insulating material applied to all interior and the doors.A '93 which has no sign of rust but is going to cop the strip and squirt routine too.And an extended [king cab] trayback which is soon to be stripped and rust sections cut out and replaced with steel from a donor vehicle.
I know of an immaculate red/gold one an older guy has which no money will buy for a while,so they are out there.

Cheers,G.

#9 ·
Rust anywhere is an issue but rust in the roof is a death sentence. Not easily repaired and best avoided. I have a Patrol coming on the market shortly that I bought from the original owner that I was building for my son. We just bought a GU for him so are looking to sell the immaculate GQ if you are interested in a neat car that has done zero offroad.

Reactions: grumpyone
#10 ·
Thanks again all for the replies. I spoke to one of the local smash repairs, showed him that photo and he reckons that rust patch is in the hundreds to repair but wont know until he sees it. He was more concerned about the radiator supports which I didn't have a good look at tbh, apparently they form a lot of his business and are regular things that rust out in patrols around here and are 2.5 to 3 thousand to fix. I asked the seller to take some photos of the area and he sent me these.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hi All,

Cheers,
Gino
Be very wary of rust along the gutter line. I damaged my vehicle there by over tightening a rack, and what I thought was a sound rust repair did not fix the issue. The problem is there are several items of metal that join at the gutter line, and rust creeps inside the roof area and re-emerges. The cure was a complete new roof, gutter and rear quarter panel that holds the rear sliding window, and re-sealing the join between that panel and the roof. Repair has been in place for a number of years with no further issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.