Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been on here for a while just researching about patrols and finally bought one. :p

Only problem is i need a RWC to transfer it into my name. The only things i can spot that may need changing is the rear tail light has a hole in it and also the power steering hose is leaking somewhere.

So the question is does anyone know any leniant roadworthy guys around the frankston area or within half an hours drive to would be able to give me one just to transfer it into my name.

Cheers for the help guys.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,879 Posts
Maybe you would be better off just ringing around the different RW shops and ask them if they can be lenient on you as you have an un-roadworthy vehicle but would like to go ahead and get it registered anyhow, can you guess what the response will be?

Or spend the time more wisely by just getting the problems fixed first, maybe getting a mechanic to go over it and sort out any problems before you get the roadworthy check.

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that would probaly be the best bet. Just a bit of a catch 22, as i don't want to spend much money until it is in my name and i can't get it in my name til i start spending money. I suppose it's only a couple of things so hopefully it goes smoothly.
Cheers for your help.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
On the Vicroads website Buying & selling : VicRoads it says that the seller has to supply a current RWC when selling a registered vehicle so why don't you get the current owner to fix it at his cost & supply you with the RWC as per the rules

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link mate but I got it for a pretty good price and the deal wasn't including rwc. I don't mind spending the money, the issue was just to get it my name quicker as it is still kind of half way in limbo. As this is my first car i didn't want anything turning sour and backfiring. But it doesn't seem like there is any "shortcuts" to help me, so I will just try and get the repairs done asap and get it inspected.
Thanks anyways Don.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Thanks for the link mate but I got it for a pretty good price and the deal wasn't including rwc. I don't mind spending the money, the issue was just to get it my name quicker as it is still kind of half way in limbo. As this is my first car i didn't want anything turning sour and backfiring. But it doesn't seem like there is any "shortcuts" to help me, so I will just try and get the repairs done asap and get it inspected.
Thanks anyways Don.
Be careful it isn't dodgey

Rgards Don

·
Registered
nissan
176 Posts
Gday mate, i'm a mechanic myself and carry out roady's. Youl find that 90% of the time if you are keeping the car yourself they will be more lenient but if you are selling the car thats when they pick up on all the small things.

You should be fine for your steer but the taillight will most likely need replacing.
Good luck

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Don, it seemed like a good buy. It drove pretty good, had good k's, came with a couple mods so i am pretty confident it was a good deal. (fingers crossed)

Mudpig, that is what i was hoping to hear. I will get onto the lights and replace them myself. Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know the general price for a set of tail lights? on Ebay the standard price seems to be $70 - $90. Does that sound around the right mark?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Did the current owner give a reason for not wanting to get a roadworthy or was this your decision based on price

Are you sure all the modifcations it has will pass a roadworthy ?

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don, I am assuming he doesn't have much time as he was busy in the process of moving interstate and was selling another car and also keeping another one to take with him. I got $1500 off without roady and it doesn't look like it needs much. The mods it has are lift, 33" muddies, bullbar with spotties and winch, so the mods hopefully shouldn't affect anything.

How ever i have put flares and mud flaps on as i knew they were needed. The tail light and power steering seems to be the only things wrong, but then again i am not 100% sure on what the inspectors look for.

Cheers mate

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Most (Not all) sellers who sell cars with no RWC no for a fact they wont pass
In QLD the seller is responsible for the RWC,but we all no this sometimes doesnt happen
There are many who perhaps turn a blind eye
But IF they dont no you or it looks dodgy,they wont help
Remember once the car is in your name wether any issues then solely become yours

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
I'm from near frankston, and while I won't mention any names of workshops, actually I don't know any that will give an easy rwc :D But, if you fix all the little things first that you think they will pick up on, and clean the car, and I mean clean it, inside and out and make it presentable, and make it clear to the mechanic that you are keeping the car, then they are usually quite good with their rwc's, as in they won't pick the crap out of it, but will obviously still need to pick up on anything that is a safety issue. And before anyone says anything about everything a rw check picks up on is a safety issue... no, no its not, they do just get picky as its their licenses on the line.

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MQ MAD - Sorry, i should have also stated that i am in Vic, but i am sure most of the same rules apply. I know one guy who is a mechanic but am unsure if he has a rwc license but i'll will get onto him on Monday. The car doesn't seem to have any underlying issues and i really did get this patrol at a pretty decent price so do have a little extra cash for it if anything does happen to go wrong.

3rz runner - Well the inside is in immaculate condition so that shouldn't be a worry, however the outside had some of the usual scratches in places and also the paint isn't so perfect in one spot, it looks abit flakey. Aside from that, there no dents and it is a relatively clean looking vehicle. So all i really need to do is change the tail lights ( I will do both incase they are different shades/not matching) which should be pretty easy then the power steering hose which i am not too sure how difficult it will be.

Jacket 1985 - That does sound a little harsh for a non operating part, did you end up replacing it or just going somewhere else?

Thanks for the replys so far guys

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
If ya no someone in the trade they mite help ya out
But with mention of RWC licence issues nowadays,many are very fussy
Remember IF the car is pulled over for whatever reason within the RWC period the inspector has issues to deal with
Even the myth of selling or keepin doesnt wash nowadays
My brother bought a car a while ago came with RWC
He was pulled over within a week from defects
Needless to say the RWC place had to shell out some $$$ to fix it

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, i don't want anyone risking their licenses or anything like that. I just thought it may be faster to get it transferred into my name by just getting a lenient inspector, but i guess as it is hopefully only a couple bits it may be just as fast and easy just getting it all done properly. When you get a roadworthy cert, do you still have to take your car down to VicRoads? or do you just take the transfer papers and the roady?

cheers

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah, i don't want anyone risking their licenses or anything like that. I just thought it may be faster to get it transferred into my name by just getting a lenient inspector, but i guess as it is hopefully only a couple bits it may be just as fast and easy just getting it all done properly. When you get a roadworthy cert, do you still have to take your car down to VicRoads? or do you just take the transfer papers and the roady?

cheers
You will need to take the car with you. They may or may not choose to inspect it. My missus and daughter recently regoed their cars and they weren't inspected. Some of my daughter's male friends have had their cars inspected. I suppose it depends on how much of a hoon you look.

The roadworthiness inspection requirements are here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/AA944BA2-1210-460F-94BF-069159D224F8/0/VSI26web.pdf

If you go through this and your car complies you can be reasonably certain that you will get your RWC. You can use it to figure out what you need to repair/replace.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stokedapollo - Yeah well the vehicle is still registered and has about 6 months rego still on it from memory so hopefully that makes it easier in someway. I will give them a call on Monday and get a few answers.

Grahame - Thanks for the great link mate, I didn't realise they had a whole document to do with roadorthy conditions. After reading it i am confident i shouldn't have a drama's with it, but i will have a closer look in the morning. I am also considering it going in my old mans name for lower insurance fee's and all that, and he doesn't get fines or anything so that may help too.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you can being yound and your first car if possible get your Dad , an uncle , older brother etc to take it down to be inspected.
A lot of mechanics will attempt to pull the wool over a young persons eyes to get some more work happening for themselves.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts