Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

changed over my alternator from the original jobby to an aftermarket bosch. Had to cut off the plug and put a couple of female connectors onto the 's' and 'l' wires.

ive since removed them and now i cant remeber which is which haha (idiot i know)

one is a thicker wire and one is a thinner wire. Can anyone tell me which is which? Im at work so i cant check what colour they are.

any help would be MUCH appreciated.

thanks

alex

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
from memory , one should be white ( s) and goes to the battery and has constant 12 volt , and the other red with white stripe or white with red stripe? (L) and only has power with the ignition on

·
Registered
nissan patrol
831 Posts
Yes,it's the white one.I just replaced my alternator with the 120 amp bosh job as well.
You might have to upgrade the wire to a thicker one as i was told they are to thin or the conections are crap & lose voltage to the battery.My voltage would'nt go over 13.7v to the battery but was putting out 14.2v from the alternator until i upgraded the wire,now getting 14.2v to the battery.
Was always having trouble with starter turning the motor a bit slow,was due to battery not fully charging i guess.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
The main reason for upgrading the wire & fusible link is to ensure you get the benefit of the extra current you now have able if required. No point in having a 120A alternator with a 65A fusible link. Also the original wire may get hot & melt/burn if the fusible link does not blow.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts