Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys think my starter has died unexpectanly. Put the multimeter on it and im getting a reading of 25 volts or there abouts which is expected. Ive also got an old GQ lying around at the moment and was wondering if the starters are the same as they are both TD42's and can i just switch them over to get the safari running?

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
No, electricals not the same. Safari (and TD42) starters are cheap to overhaul (as long as your problem is the starter) and very expensive to buy. Confirm it's the starter, yank it out and send it to an overhaul shop or get the bits. Might get the bits and rebuild it yourself.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
You can also get the 12V starter rewound for 24V. But I would make sure it is the starter and not the solenoid.

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
I fixed my starter motor about 7 years ago for cost of about NZ$12 for new brushes. Quite easy to pull apart, a serious heavy duty soldering iron is needed to solder in the new brush cables. Generic branded brushes to fit were easy to find. With my starter, the brushes were shattered ruins, probably just a small section of the last two of 4 making enough contact to crank it over 'adequately" - it seemed to be okay, then it died completely. IIRC I set up the armature on a drill chuck with support at the other end as a makeshift lathe, and turned it with about 220 grit wet and dry to clean up the commutators which were a bit scored, cleaned after with brake cleaner, and reassembled. Before it failed, it never seemed particularly slow to crank over, but there's no comparison to after, where a 24v safari starter in good condition cranks a TD42 very quickly compared to 12v systems I'm used to in cars. 7 years later it's still fine.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
IIRC I set up the armature on a drill chuck with support at the other end as a makeshift lathe, and turned it with about 220 grit wet and dry to clean up the commutators which were a bit scored
Ha, I use the same idea except I use a file (cause it's flat) instead of the sandpaper.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i ripped it out tonight and gonna try send it away for a rebuild because i dont really have the time to rebuild it at the moment as im also replacing the snapped front CV and control arms and panhards. haha the things we do for our 4bys ay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts