Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
im in the process of changing my snorkel, removing 1 of the airboxes, and changing all the ducts to the turbo to 100mm..
however the current setup has a sensor of some sort on the air intake duct going from the airbox to the turbo.. the wire is attached to the front of the oil filters and on top of the block.

is it safe to remove this sensor or do i need to find a way to re-connect it onto the new ducts i plan on installing?

i should mention i do not have a boost gauge in my dash but i do however have a turbo timer!

here is some pictures

cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
looks like an air restriction indicator? telling you ur airfilter is dirty

·
Registered
782 Posts
Air Filter indicator - should be warning light in dash.
Safe to remove.
Some models had a mechanical indicator,some may have nothing.

The connector in the last photo looks like it would be your tacho sensor. Not sure why the air filter sensor cablewould be going up there. Looks like the plug has been replaced at some stage.

What sort of turbo setup is it - got a pic with a wider view.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the cable actually T's into a major which then goes off to the other 2 things so I thought they might be relevant
I'll go grab a pic now for ya

·
Registered
782 Posts
OK then, the 'thing' in the second pic is the oil pressure sender / switch.

And, there should be a floppy rubber hose hanging out (yours may have been cut / fallen off), to allow it to vent, but still help stop water (and other crap) getting in.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeh i think it is a DTS system..

should i be worried about the hose on the oil pressure?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Worst case, water will get in and probably active the low pressure switch.
If you look at the pictures in the link, there is just a rubber hose joined on, maybe 150mm long, to make it a little harder for water to splash in there.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers GeeCee
you seem to know what you are talking about..
have any tips for me when i change all the ducts and filters about?
i was just going to get a zd30 airbox to replace both of the others is there a more simple way, to still get a nice high non restrictive flow?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I can definitely see why you't want to go with a ZD30 airbox.

There are plenty of threads / pics of putting a ZD30 airbox in.
Have starting doing that myself.

Prepare for some interference from the battery tray.
Do you have a snorkel? Need to work out a connection to that.

There have been a few pics of other airboxes that have been fabricated to take a ZD30 filter, recently. There may be some advantages with regard to positioning and in / out pipes.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i was just going to go for a silicone 90 degree bend out to the 100mm stainless snorkel im fitting..
was planning on fitting all at the same time.
do you know how big the inlet is to the zd30 airbox? do i need a reducer from 100mm?

i think im looking at an arm an a leg for the zd30 box though arent i?
does a 2.8 box or td42 box fit aswell?
might be a cheaper option

·
Registered
nissan
570 Posts
some people use the existing precleaner on its own. some say it doesnt flow as well as the GU, but the filter size is almost exactly the same size as the GU. my backside isnt a dyno and my car isnt a racecar, but to be honest, I couldnt feel any noticeable difference in performance, and my economy wasnt any different ( I logged it for curiousity). I changed mine because I wanted to put a top mount IC on.
BTW, your system is the same as mine was.
I just unplugged the sensor, its been happy for about 50000km so must be ok.
I dont have a link, but I did a thread on mine, when I put the intercooler on. from memory, the GU inlet is 3.5", its hard up against the battery tray and the top is real hard against the battery ribs but I have a deep cycle battery thats a bit bigger.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers mate,
it gives me the confidence to just run the pre-filter for a while until i can source a zd30 box (it was my main concern and the reason i was procrastinating)

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, your system is the same as mine was.
I just unplugged the sensor, its been happy for about 50000km so must be ok.

sorry, does this mean you just "cut" the wires? or what did you do to avoid the air cleaner light constantly being on?

·
Registered
782 Posts
The ZD30 airbox inlet is 88.9 mm (3.5") OD if you cut the flange off.
4.2 & 2.8 Airbox bases are alomost identical. The lids are the major difference.

ZD30 lid has a flange to suit its' MAF sensor.
So you either bolt an adapter on or grind it off for a 80.1 mm (3.0") diameter.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ah k
yeh been reading that its just the lids that are the difference.
zd30 box it is but will use the pre-cleaner till i can source one out..

will probably cut the **** out of it to get rid of the flanges
cheers

now to find a zd30 box :headwall:

·
Registered
nissan
570 Posts
curtis, we just unplugged the airfilter sensor, no lights have ever illuminated. and to be sure, I went to the cupboard and checked, its still in there! btw, I also found my receipt for my airbox, $120 complete from a commercial 4x4 wrecker in Lonsdale South Australia. there are plenty of airboxes (zd30's) but not a lot of lids......... lpg backfires see to that!!!!! good luck, Lana

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
you can always plumb that sensor back in between the turbo and air filter (where it should have gone in the first place) once all your plumbing mods are done, it will still tell you if your air filter is getting blocked and would be handy in dusty situations

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you can always plumb that sensor back in between the turbo and air filter (where it should have gone in the first place) once all your plumbing mods are done, it will still tell you if your air filter is getting blocked and would be handy in dusty situations
all about then having to extend the wires too! arghhh

im gonna try get this done by the end of the week so hopefully ill have some pics up!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts