Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had my 2005 patrol for 6 months. When I bought it the subtank was empty and I have not used it since. I don't know when it was last used.

I want to start using it but I am concerned there may be rust or something in there that could cause problems. Any suggestions about ways to check or if I need not worry?

I am thinking put 5 litres in the subtank, disconnect the line to the main tank, stick the line in a bucke, activate the subtank pump and see what comes out?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am thinking put 5 litres in the subtank, disconnect the line to the main tank, stick the line in a bucke, activate the subtank pump and see what comes out?
Yeah, that would no harm if ya want to do that ;)

Diesel ?? If it was me, I'd just hit it with a double dose of Chemtech (or similar) unless you have reason to suspect that some crud may have found it's way in there...

Good idea to keep that subtank in use as much as possible (fill it first, & empty it last) ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
yeah if its a diesel tank i cant really see any problems with just filling it up and drive her. add some chemtech as said to remove any water/condensation in there and should all be rosey.
if really worried run a couple of tanks just thru the subtank then replace the fuel filter and all should again be rosey.

·
Registered
nissan gu iii
22 Posts
Yeah, that would no harm if ya want to do that ;)

Diesel ?? If it was me, I'd just hit it with a double dose of Chemtech (or similar) unless you have reason to suspect that some crud may have found it's way in there...

Good idea to keep that subtank in use as much as possible (fill it first, & empty it last) ;)

:cheers:

Where can we get Chemtech? Ive never of it

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I use it regually and recommend doing a double treatment and filling it up.
Can also get it from repco and all good auto part stores.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
Lift the carpet under the right rear seat(centre seats) and you will see a panel, remove screws to access the sub tank fuel sender. Remove about 5 screws, pull out sender assembly and you will be able to see into the tank. It's quite a big hole so you can see all around the inside of the tank.
Hope you don't find any crud. should be OK if its been sealed

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
Lift the carpet under the right rear seat(centre seats) and you will see a panel, remove screws to access the sub tank fuel sender. Remove about 5 screws, pull out sender assembly and you will be able to see into the tank. It's quite a big hole so you can see all around the inside of the tank.
Is the gasket reusable?

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FIRSTGU, Finally had a chance to check the tank. I couldn't see any dirt or rust.

There was about an inch or two of diesel in the bottom of the tank (maybe 5 - 10 litres) which for me raises two points:

1. I will put some chemtech in to treat the old diesel that is in there (at least 6 months old)

2. Why is there so much diesel in there considering each time the car is started a small amount of fuel is pumped from the sub tank to the main tank? Hopefully the pump is not screwed.

I will fill the tank and treat it this weekend and start using the fuel in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts