1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan safari
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20151114_084027.jpg

Hello.
I thought I had better get this post started sooner than later.
I did a quick search for panhard rod, mount failure, and I found a good deal written up on the failure of the mounting bracket on the cassis.

This is a failure at the other end, the pin, that is a component of the front axel.
View attachment 290577

This event has the potential to lead to a very serious failure of steering control, and a horrible crash.

The Wife had (Henrii) the vehicle out when this occurred. She was on a stretch of straight
highway. 80 Km/h speed limit. So road conditions were not a consideration.
She called me from where she broke down, and I drove out to examine the truck.
From her description, it sounded like both the front wheels were falling off....
My initial inspection showed up nothing out of the ordinary, so I took the truck to drive home and give it a full inspection. when I pulled out and got up to speed,( about 75 Km/h), all HELL broke loose! nearly ripping the steering wheel out of my hands, the front end leaping left and right in uncontrollable oscillations.
Very frightening!

I was able to regain control, by backing off the accelerator, and not using the break.
Pulled to the road side, and with a flashlight this time, did a more thorough inspection...
View attachment 290569

Still quite away from home I had to find a method of stabilizing the front axel.
thanks to some searching the roadside for treasures that fall from other vehicles, I came up with this solution.
IMG_20151114_084041.jpg

Next day, I set about researching all mention of panhard rod connection failure, and found only that there is still an active recall for the chassis mount . there is an upgrade available.
no mention of the axel pin breaking or falling off....

so I set about removing the failed pin....

IMG_20151114_113928.jpg

IMG_20151114_113928.jpg

using a five inch angle grinder with a 2mm disc, and an electric die grinder (at a slow speed setting) with 10mm tapered carbide burr, I set to removing the weld bead, that appeared to be holding the pin to the axel.
IMG_20151114_133530.jpg

When I thought I had all the weld bead removed, I began massaging the pin with a 3lb hammer to loosen it from its axel mooring....
IMG_20151114_133530.jpg

turned out that it did not want to come free...

after much more "massaging" the pin did come free, evidence showed it had been welded from the back side. ( only a small bead, but still...)
IMG_20151114_134923.jpg

So with the old pin in hand, I drew up a drawing to send to a machine shop, and have a new pin made. I changed a few dimensions to add strength, and help ensure this does not happen again.
IMG_20151115_174955 (2).jpg

Had the drawing executed, and this was the result..
IMG_20151122_143545.jpg

I forgot to mention... the day after the incident, I returned to the scene of the crime and FOUND the inner bushing , as this was required to put back inside the neoprene bushing... and it is shown here in the photo with the new pin, retainer, and castle nut.

The following shots show the stages of reassembly and welding....

IMG_20151122_144254.jpg
IMG_20151122_144448.jpg
View attachment 290657
IMG_20151122_151228.jpg
IMG_20151122_153546.jpg

so at this point I have run out of room for photos so I will finish here, and continue in a new post.
a closing note, if I am not able to add to this post...
this is a VERY DANGEROUS failure. if you are renewing panhard rod bushings, inspect the pin for signs of wear, or fatigue...

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,124 Posts
WOW i have never seen one let go there before... Very lucky no one was injured!

Good work on fixing it the way you have most people would have just brought a whole new diff.

·
Registered
nissan safari
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks .
Spread the word!
Yes, We were very lucky .

Reactions: grumpyone

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Nice work on the replacement job. I am very impressed that you ever managed to get the old one out and at the quality of the new one. Well done.

My only concern or suggestion for the new stronger unit is that the original outer washer is supposed to be mounted with the dish side facing out. This means the outer edge is curved away from the bush and allows for more movement of the bush and the panhard head part without coming into contact with the outer edge of the big washer thereby placing leverage on the washer and threaded stud.

The diameter of the washer is clearly big enough to stop a failed bush from pulling through, but it may be better to also round out or radius the outer edge of the washer facing the bush.

·
Registered
Nissan
820 Posts
I was warned about this years ago by a bloke (now departed this life) who was into desert racing and competitions with a Patrol.
His most emphatic response was to use only genuine rubber replacement bushes...and to not go anywhere near anything else. He had a few diff housings about with exactly this wrong with them. Pity He will never know there is a fix for it hey.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan safari
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point!
I will look into the turning around of the dished washer...
It seems to make sense.
Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
Nissan
8 Posts
This is excellent and appears to be exactly what has happened to my truck. Just to find someone who can make it happen now

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Wow, I'll be having a look under mine this weekend!

·
Registered
nissan
88 Posts
Great write up. This happened to my 05 GU wagon travelling at a decent speed on dirt road out Innamincka way about 5 years ago.

The hairiest thing that ever happened to me. We doctored it up the best we could and limped home to Sydney. Couldn't get it fixed out bush by anyone as they had to order parts in and it was going to take a while.

I really don't know how we didn't really injure ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
OE nut is a nylon lock ring , not reusable . Must be tight at 160-190 Nm ( use some lock fluid is consider to be necesar ) . Is commnon to break thread tip ( is only a M14 x 1,5 thread ) from torq too much .

The washer must be dished to alow some axle twist without touching panhard but is not any issue if is a panhard with balljoint at chasis side . OE rubber is a better option for axle flex .

Sorry for my blunt english ...

·
Registered
nissan safari
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To get the new pin Machined, cost about 500.
Labour and welding and consumables, about another 500, but it was not a direct cost as I had it all with me.
Please post up your photo, and reports
And ensure the dish of the washer contacts the Bushing....

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Innovative idea, but that makes me nervous to look at. How are you going to 'lock' the bolt into the thread?

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Repair complete.... grinded the thread off the mount. Tapped the mount using m12 thread high tensile bolt new washer....

Total repair costs......

Zero
Good idea, but 12mm still seems a bit small to me when the original bolt was 14mm and snapped off. Although high tensile will be a lot stronger in tension and probably still stronger all up and shear strength, going smaller would still concern me.

Grippy in the original post has gone up to m18 which is massive in comparison. Could you tap it out any bigger m14 even m16?

·
Registered
nissan safari
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Top marks for innovation, and zero money spent, and in some situations, that counts for everything.
However...
Having experienced this failure at highway speed, I can tell you that I would NEVER Want this to happen again.
So again, good on Ya, for original thinking. Good luck with the longevity, and be very careful my friend.
If you look at the length of the pan hard rod, then imagine trying to break the pan hard pin mount by giving the pan hard rod a firm pull on the long end.... that is what your truck is doing...
Even a grade 8, or grade XII,12 mm bolt is going to come out second best.
There are more forces going on here, than simply trying to keep the pan hard located onto the pin...
Beware.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts