15,795 Posts
Some nice boats.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi DB

There is some nice stuff built out of timber down here

Lucy has just been built by her owner and they are planning to sail her around the world

Maluka the old timber gaffer in the 8th photo has lots of high tech stuff on board and has raced the las few years in the Sydney Hobart

The ones i have taken the photo's of are all 30 seconds from home but all along the river are some nice boats of all different designs

Regards Don

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
the blue double ender is my pick,would be good in a following sea.a simple strong work boat

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the blue double ender is my pick,would be good in a following sea.a simple strong work boat
I think that a couple of the local blokes here bought her over from England a couple of years ago

Regards Don

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
They're all pretty special. You have a fabulous backyard there.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep

When I get board I just go for a wander and there is normally someone floating around the marina to have a chat to

Regards Don

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
they are awesome!

hopefully when I get to retiring age ill have a decent motor yacht.
dunno if I could put up with the bobbing and weaving.... and steering out in the cold!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put a few more on there from my drive to work if you want to see some more

Regards Don

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Oh yeah!

Those old wooden boats have a really special charm to them, even to a forest dweller like myself.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah!

Those old wooden boats have a really special charm to them, even to a forest dweller like myself.
I think though that a lot of them either leak through the hull or through the deck and there is a lot of maintenance required to keep them up to scratch

As much as I admire them I don't think I would be dedicated enough to maintain it

My fibreglass one (the bigger of the two in the last photo of the first lot) has enough wooden bits and pieces on it to keep me busy

Regards Don

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I'd be the same !

But I really appreciate the efforts of those that do do all the hard work.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
Don, how close are you to the Tasmanian Wooden Boat Centre? Just asking because I was there last Friday, did the coastal drive from Hobart to Huonville then down to the wooden boat centre for a look. Lots of incredible boats around that part of the world.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don, how close are you to the Tasmanian Wooden Boat Centre? Just asking because I was there last Friday, did the coastal drive from Hobart to Huonville then down to the wooden boat centre for a look. Lots of incredible boats around that part of the world.
Hi

We are another 8 mins drive past Franklin where the wooden boat centre is

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
Cool, I'm back in QLD now so too late to visit, but I was looking at the area as we were driving and it looked a hell of a lot like some of the photos you've posted of your boat in the past.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, I'm back in QLD now so too late to visit, but I was looking at the area as we were driving and it looked a hell of a lot like some of the photos you've posted of your boat in the past.
The photo's I added today were taken between Huonville and Port Huon with most of them being around Franklin where the wooden boat centre is

Did you continue past Franklin or was it as far south as you travelled

Regards a Don

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
The photo's I added today were taken between Huonville and Port Huon with most of them being around Franklin where the wooden boat centre is

Did you continue past Franklin or was it as far south as you travelled

Regards a Don
Unfortunately we had limited time so we only got as far as Franklin.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately we had limited time so we only got as far as Franklin.
That is a shame because another 5 minutes past franklin the river gets a lot wider and deeper and the scenery is much nicer

Regards Don

1 - 20 of 25 Posts