Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.

searched, but there isn't a lot on the topic of sandblasting, let alone where to get it done if anybody is in the know.

im going to re-paint/powder coat/galvanize my camper trailer, as its a good off road trailer, and its set up pretty perfectly for what i want. but i spent all day hitting it with a wire wheel on the grinder, and well barley made a hole in the paint on the draw bar, let alone the whole trailer. so, im looking to get it sandblasted as im sure that will be heaps easier and quicker. and then wither re-spray it with something. or powder coat of get it gal'd (i like the idea of gal for the longevity of it.) but i am unsure what is the best method of re-coating ti. and is there anybody on here that is or knows a sandblaster in the brissie/sunny/gold coast etc area's, happy to pay in cash or booze, or both. but, what are your opinions on the re-painting of it?

im heading off to bunnings tomorrow to get a few flap discs and will see how they go. i have looked into the gal process, and they have a method of cleaning it, but i was talking to a fella today and he said that it might not clean off all the existing paint, and will have to be sandblasted. but if its close to bare metal, then they shouldn't have much of a problem doing it then.

cheers

jbates58

·
Registered
nissan
173 Posts
gday i used a mob in activity st acacia ridge they garnit blast insted of using glass i had about 1.5t of various pipe fittings done cos they were supplied wrong 2 day turn around and cost me around $600 but there was a lot of fittings a trailer should only take about 1 to 2 hours and i think from memory they charge about 150 per hour

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
A flap wheel will eat a wire brush for paint removal all day
Once ya tried them youll be surprised how easy the paint comes of
But they do tend to clog easy
Paint stripper is an option also
How bad is the paint,does it need full removal ???
Sand blast/bead blast/soda blast for a trailer all a muchness
Google would be your freind for this as well as what style of finished
It all comes down to price,and there will be a fairly large difference between,just paint,powder coat,gal dip
But you will be hard pressed to get much done in the comming weeks
Ive got to refurb my trailer shorty, flap wheel ,then a few coats of industrial enamel will do me

·
Registered
107 Posts
mate i use and recomend galmet rust guard industrial enamel its what the mine pumps i build use and when they return many yrs later for a rebuild the paint has done its job really good and its very corrosive the crap in those mines too hope this helps ya out mate regards dano aka smokey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts