Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at gettihg a sat nav for the Patrol and had a few questions and was hoping for some recommendations. Firstly a few questions-
1.) What brands are recommended?
2.) How do they connect to the satellite?, do you need a plan or do you pay for updated maps, if so what is the cost to do this? Or does it connect via your phone?
3.) Im looking for one with a combo of maps navigation, directions etc Also one with reversing camera, mp3 player etc
4.) Are they easy to install, any pics of ones you guys have would be much appreciated, cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Hi Ralph, IMHO a smart phone running Google maps for when you have mobile range and NavFree when you don't. Plus you'll get Maps'n'trax for topographic when you're really offroad.

The dedicated in dash setups are unnecessary and quickly get out of date.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ralph, IMHO a smart phone running Google maps for when you have mobile range and NavFree when you don't. Plus you'll get Maps'n'trax for topographic when you're really offroad.

The dedicated in dash setups are unnecessary and quickly get out of date.
Is Max n trax an app?

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
I have a cheapo Chinese double din unit in my 2010 CRD to replace the original multi cd stacker.

$235 delivered from E-Bay. It's a WinCE unit and has turn by turn navi, plus I grafted OZIExplorerCE into it as well with Hema 2013 maps. By default I load Ozi as it has a nice GPS speed reading in the top left corner. A mouse type GPS comes with the unit and I have it stuffed in some foam under the dash above the unit. Reversing camera is fitted too, and comes on as soon as reverse is selected. Wiring pretty easy.

Since I did that I also have got a 10" Galaxy Note 2014 which runs Sygic turn by turn, Hema Explorer off road maps, and OZIAndroid running the same 2013 maps as the head unit.

It's mounted using a 1.5" RAM ball sitting in the radio surround at the top left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts