Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
g'day guys.
I am about to replace the tyres on the Nissan (31x10.5x r15), and being on the old age pension
I am trying to get more for less.

Unlike you young Turks, I only go camping about 3 times a year, so the vehicle gets used maybe about 9000klms/year, consequently the expense of replacing the BFG,s with BFG.s, is out of the question. (and not really neccesary)

A friend in Brisbane (I am in Mornington Vic.) has sent me an e-mail, saying that he has found an outlet in Virginia (Brisbane) who is offering 'Savron" brand tyres (31x10.5x R15) for $109/per

My question is has anyone heard of "Savron" tyres? they are almost certainly Chinese manufactured but is that a bad thing (Given my limited requirements)

I was originally looking for source for Hercules Terra Trak tyres, but cant find a source (in Melbourne)
Anyway I look forward to any thoughts on this subject
Cheers
Angus

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The e-mail which I received said Savron tyres but that could be a slip of the fickle finger on his part.
Do do have info on the Sovron brand?

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
...or could they be Savero? Savero tryes have been around for some time and I have a set on my camper trailer. They're made in Indonesia and are usually the cheapest tyres available. While they have lasted on the camper trailer, I'm not sure I'd recommend them for vehicle use as the ones I have seem to have a pretty low rating. If anything, I'd recommend Nankang tyres: 4WD / SUV - Nankang Tyres Australia, as I have Nankang muddies as my second tyre set and they were quite cheap, and perform brilliantly (though I have heard that the prices have gone up somewhat).

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
the boss just fitted a pair to the work ute. i've been asking around about them with no results.
however net shows they are made in china by the oldest tyre manufacture in china. however info on the net seams to good to be true but thats typical of Chinese made.

seams to grip ok on gravel for a mild AT, havn't tried it out off road yet.

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sovron tyres

Thanks for all of that info
Ray I just rang the local tyre guy about the Nankang 31x 10.5x R15 cost per, and he offer me a deal of $210/per, would that be a reasonable cost for those tyres??
Cheers all
Angus

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Thanks for all of that info
Ray I just rang the local tyre guy about the Nankang 31x 10.5x R15 cost per, and he offer me a deal of $210/per, would that be a reasonable cost for those tyres??
Cheers all
Angus
Angus

That's hard to say. It almost seems that tyres in the 15" range is now getting be more expensive than for the larger rims. I recently bought a set of Bridgestone ATs for my 17" rims for $282 ea, fitted. The Mudstars cost me $160, but a mate said that they are now priced at around $210 as well. I'd really do some checking around and see what prices you can get for known brands in the first instance, before considering something that doesn't seem to have any background.

As for Nankang tyres, there are quite a few here on the forum that now have Mudstars and not one is unhappy with their performance, I think they're brilliant. I would have bought Nankang ATs if they'd made them in 17", as I think they are that good. Nankangs are made in Taiwan, which nowadays has a very good reputation for quality, so I don't think you'd have any worries on that score.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sovron tyres

G'day Ray.
The local tyre guy has asked me to attend at his store, so that he can see if he can work out some sort of "good' (or Better) deal for the 4 tyres which I wish to replace.
thanks for your info
Cheers Angus.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Personally I wouldnt put my life on the line for some $100 tyres.. I'd buy used ones before I'd touch them.

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
g'day Trucksters.
Doesn't all the tyre manufacturers (regardless of country) have to meet the same stringent Aus. manufacturing/ suitability for required use, criteria?

Would the government allow 2nd rate goods in for sale to the general public, and especially on such a critical item as tyres?

I spoke to the local tyre guy today, and he said that brands such as Nankang, Hercules, and several others (that I had never heard of) all had to go through the "I wouldnt touch them with a used franger" (his words) before they were finally accepted as just another option by the 4x4 brother hood.

I am of the opinion, that if I had the funds I would go, once again with the BFGs', as fitted at present, they and are such a great and reliable, (and predictable) tyre, but alas, here we are, seeking the pros and cons of the unknown
Angus

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Go for your life. I wish you luck with them... Do you not think theres probably a reason they are 1/2 price of most 'cheap' tyres, 1/3rd the price of anything decent, and 1/4 the price of great tyres?

Me personally, I wouldnt touch them with Ray!'s ****.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts