Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just received an email warning from ANZ that her account had been closed due to an anomaly with a password being entered and she could rectify by following x procedure.

I was out, She rang the bank to double check and they said it was a scam and there had been many reports over the last few days, when I read the email it was a bit dodgy on the language, but anyway guy's be careful.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I read the title and thought you were talking about banks scamming us and thought meh they have been doing it for years. Then i realised you were talking about an interweb scam

·
Registered
nissan
2,994 Posts
She did well calling them up :)

I always advise people to call the company if they are suspicious of an email (Using a number from the official website or something, of course, not from the email), especially for financial institutions.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,776 Posts
banks and goverment/councils will very rarely email or call you unless its statements etc.they use Auspost.only time I know of a bank emailing is when I request something or my statement

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,552 Posts
I had one a few weeks ago stating a transfer/BPay/Pay anyone of $2700 had not been honoured and could I email details to rectify!

Only today I had 2 from the Australian Government, through the ATO emailed letting me know I had missed a tax refund amount and could I email TFN and it would be sorted!

There are plenty going around this time of year so be very careful.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had one a few weeks ago stating a transfer/BPay/Pay anyone of $2700 had not been honoured and could I email details to rectify!

Only today I had 2 from the Australian Government, through the ATO emailed letting me know I had missed a tax refund amount and could I email TFN and it would be sorted!

There are plenty going around this time of year so be very careful.
Ed Zackery, it's always worth a friendly warning, costs us nothing to warn someone who in a moment of not thinking might make a simple mistake.

The e-mail, on the surface looked quite legitimate, only under a bit of scrutineering did it look dodgy, so very easy to fall for it.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The company my wife works for has received automated phone calls from the ATO re tax evasion and likely legal action. When my wife called the ATO they said it is part of a scam so beware, these arseholes are around and looking for a chance to rip you off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The company my wife works for has received automated phone calls from the ATO re tax evasion and likely legal action. When my wife called the ATO they said it is part of a scam so beware, these arseholes are around and looking for a chance to rip you off.
i got one of these... I called the phone number from the message (out of interest, i knew it was a scam) that purported to be the ATO. It was a sydney number that gets re-routed to india or somewhere.

The biggest giveaway it wasn't actually the ATO was that a human answered the phone first up "hello ATO here". hahaha.

If i called the ATO it would have been a lot of button pushing and at least a 30 minute wait...

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
i got one of these... I called the phone number from the message (out of interest, i knew it was a scam) that purported to be the ATO. It was a sydney number that gets re-routed to india or somewhere.

The biggest giveaway it wasn't actually the ATO was that a human answered the phone first up "hello ATO here". hahaha.

If i called the ATO it would have been a lot of button pushing and at least a 30 minute wait...

Was the call from a Mr Jason O'Connor? with an accent that just did not sound quite right for an Irish name, Australian working for the ATO. More like Indian or Philippine, trying to put on an Irish/Australian sort of educated in the US accent.

I got a whole heap of calls day after day from them also reporting to be the ATO, each call got more insistent and threatening. Threats saying that a warrant has been issued in your name (but they did not know my name), saying that an officer of your local force will be around at the door tomorrow if you do not pay your Tax arrears. ATO owe me at the moment so that is a big hole in their story. I recorded the last call and got onto the ATO scam line, they answered in about a minute and were well aware of this scam. Funny thing when you report that return Sydney number to Telstra, they also seem to be aware of it but will do nothing about it.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts
Any cold callers, charities, scammers that ring or text either the mobile or landline I just block their number. Not getting many now.

·
Registered
nissan
487 Posts
I get many calls from telemarketers. I never used to. I have given my number to a few real estate agents. I swear they sold it on.

How does one block numbers from calling a mobile?

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts
On my old iPhone, in the caller list just tap on the circled i, scroll down and it says "Block this Caller" just open and follow instructions. For texts go into details and do the same.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was the call from a Mr Jason O'Connor? with an accent that just did not sound quite right for an Irish name, Australian working for the ATO. More like Indian or Philippine, trying to put on an Irish/Australian sort of educated in the US accent.

I got a whole heap of calls day after day from them also reporting to be the ATO, each call got more insistent and threatening. Threats saying that a warrant has been issued in your name (but they did not know my name, stupid furkers), saying that an officer of your local force will be around at the door tomorrow if you do not pay your Tax arrears. ATO owe me at the moment so that is a big hole in their story. I recorded the last call and got onto the ATO scam line, they answered in about a minute and were well aware of this scam. Funny thing when you report that return Sydney number to Telstra, they also seem to be aware of it but will do nothing about it.
Hi Geordie, The name Jason O'Connor rang a bell, I went back and checked my wife's email acc and sure enough that was who it was from, the first one was about a fine or such and the second was threatening a warrant would be issued.

---------------------------

Guy's, keep the crap posts for the crap threads please!

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
366 Posts
I received one the other day claiming to be Aussie post. The story was that the postie couldn't deliver a parcel and that after 28 days I would be charged a daily amount. It even had a convenient link to click. Funny thing though I had no parcel collection details in my mail box.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
I received one the other day claiming to be Aussie post. The story was that the postie couldn't deliver a parcel and that after 28 days I would be charged a daily amount. It even had a convenient link to click. Funny thing though I had no parcel collection details in my mail box.

Watch out if you have actually had an Aus Post delivery, because there is also a scam asking you to click on a link to provide feedback on your recent Aus Post delivery.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
248 Posts
Warning:

If you receive an email titled "Paperless Billing" from AGL Energy <email address varies on each one I have received (6)> DELETE IMMEDIATELY. I have heard from 8 friends that they also received this.
This is the one that locked my mates and his neighbours computer. It contains Cryptolock. A timely reminder, do not download from email unless you know the sender.

·
Registered
nissan
394 Posts
I get many calls from telemarketers. I never used to. I have given my number to a few real estate agents. I swear they sold it on.

How does one block numbers from calling a mobile?

There's the "do not call" register. Just go on the website and register up to 5 phone numbers including mobiles that you don't want to be called on. It's active for 3 years from memory then you have to renew your registration.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
i had an email from a mate asking me to review some financial docs for building a light plane, sent him a txt message asking him whether he had sent me a PDF containing financials for a project - sure enough, he hadn't.

crypto embedded in the PDF

1 - 20 of 126 Posts