Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why I don't like the fly by wire systems when used in 4wds that will be used off road.

Vehicles taken bush will get electrical faults given time, doesn't matter on your level of care, they will appear, and this is the result of a fault in a fly by wire system going wrong at the wrong moment.

A Near Fatal 4x4 Accident Caught On Film - Glasshouse Mountains - YouTube

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Is that confirmed as a fly by wire issue? I have doubts. I've had my foot get stuck between the accelerator and brake pedal.

Also, fly by wire has been much much more reliable than cable accelerators in my first hand experiences. I've had cables stick on motorbikes AND cars.

Not to mention the "near fatal" claim :rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do doubt the "near fatal" claim as well, I assume they mean it could have been much worse kinda thing. No actual confirmation on the fly by wire fault other than what they said in the video.

Fly by wire bothers me because it is reliant on a potentiometer mounted to the pedal assembly, if water get's in there (flooded floor pan) or just decides to play up there is the risk of it going open throttle.

I agree that cable can also fail, but fly by wire just bothers me. I'm an Auto Sparky and it bothers me how much the vehicle computers are controlling these days, it's getting to easy for an electrical fault to become a major issue.

Accidents are usually a result of multiple small mitigating factors.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
It would have been fatal if said vehicle slapped a tree sideways or rolled with his head close to the roof acting like a guillotine if his head happened to hang out.

Doesn't take much to kill some folk.

I'm concerned he didn't know to turn the ignition to the off position before it lept off the track.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
i have some doubts thats a fly by wire problem.
lack of brakes lights in the vid and that throttle failure generally gives no throttle rather than full throttle. theres usually two sets of variable resistors in them, one is back up and they will fail open which gives no throttle.

at the risk of being insulting its far more likely gave it stick and got his foot jammed under the brake jamming the throttle on. hence no brake lights on in the vid.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I agree with you there Suggy. I just don't think its a significant risk or is worse than the alternative.

A friend had a cousin die from tripping on a raise section of footpath. As for him being discharged later that day. Certainly exaggerated injury (if any).

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
i have some doubts thats a fly by wire problem.
lack of brakes lights in the vid and that throttle failure generally gives no throttle rather than full throttle. theres usually two sets of variable resistors in them, one is back up and they will fail open which gives no throttle.

at the risk of being insulting its far more likely gave it stick and got his foot jammed under the brake jamming the throttle on. hence no brake lights on in the vid.
My thoughts exactly. Usually the operator blames the tool:rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
As all before, bull$hit that was a fly by wire problem.

Would have been a thong, boot, floor mat, something dislodged and slid under the pedals.

You will also notice that inherent in the design of any electronic throttle circuit that it will fail to safe.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,274 Posts
I've had a sensor go in a semi and it did not, give no throttle, it stayed open at the revs I was travelling at. :shock: Not what you want when grossing 43.5t at the time. :crazy:

Foo

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A failed TPS that goes open circuit will shut down, when the resistor get's build in itself it is capable (not every time) of giving a false reading, if the false reading falls within the acceptable parameters of the ECU input then the ECU will consider that a correct reading.

If fly by wire systems are so safe and fail safe, why have there been recalls on vehicle who's fly by wire system were capable of jamming on without having gone off-road? Doesn't that say to you that a fault like this is possible, not likely but possible.

We all know that water and mud get everywhere when bush, nothing to say his throttle didn't suffer ingress of some form at some time in the past and I chose that moment when being thrown around to fail.

How many of you have lost brake, tail or indicators when out bush? Like I said earlier, accidents are almost always a result of multiple small mitigating faults.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dunno how I would have reacted.
so not gonna judge the guy.
personally I prefer least amount of electrics possible.
hence why I stick with my gq td42.
The most advanced electronics in my truck is the iPod in the centre console, love my old TD42 aswell.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
If fly by wire systems are so safe and fail safe, why have there been recalls on vehicle who's fly by wire system were capable of jamming on without having gone off-road? Doesn't that say to you that a fault like this is possible, not likely but possible.
like the toyotas in the USA?
that was actually a mechanical fault. the pedal would stick. just like a throttle cable or carbie linkage sticking.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Well alright then, how did you come to the conclusion then it was a TPS fault?

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
Looks like ke panicked and got his foot stuck on the throttle instead of the brake.
I've seen this twice. once by my missus who drove through the side of my mums house. The second was when I was teaching someone to drive offroad and he panicked on a corner after a couple of bumps. He ended up planting his foot on the throttle instead of the brake and put my Patrol into the trees at speed.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
get with the times
FBW is ****loads better than cable
most the ls2 l98 ls3 etc engines shut the throttle if there is any problems so im sure
most others would too, and like most other problems u see on american tv where the car is flying down the freeway and ******** behind the wheel cant stop the car
gm FBW has two sensors and both sensors are not identical signals
one might be backwards and the other forwards
and on other gm cars one signal is double the other signal so i recon there woul dbe more chances of having a sticky
cable than a problem with FBW
it is always an error between the steering wheel and the drivers seat

only downfall with fbw is its slow to response like in my wifes aurion u goto accelerate and theres a delay which is a pain when u want to go thru a roundabout then all of a sudden u need to floor it to get some response

if u r worried about getting water and stuff in it then buy a car from a manufacturer that fits decent plugs and seals in their connectors
nissan make crap engines but i doubt they make crap connectors hehehe

they might have had an aftermarket cruise control system which might have stuffed up
and then they bag out the FBW
they need the guys from the new zealand show CSI where they investigate crashes to tell us what went wrong hehe

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
it bothers me how much the vehicle computers are controlling these days, it's getting to easy for an electrical fault to become a major issue.
Guess you're not a fan of flying then eh? Most, if not all the Airbus range of jets are fly-by-wire controls for everything, not just throttle.
Boeing, and other jet manufacturers heading a similar direction.

I too was sceptical about fly by wire when it first came out, but so long as the brakes remain mechanically controlled, and there's still a mechanical key to start and stop the engine, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with my fly by wire GU.

These systems will only get more better.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts