Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ...the gist of this thread is...
We are in a position to novate lease a new GU ST Patrol through my wifes employer ...BUT ..I would like some answers first please.
The deal is ..$55000 drive away ....with Steel Bullbar , snorkel , and towbar (atm ...I,m still putting the squeeze on them).
To make the motor more reliable..What are the must do things I would need to mod on this engine ..IE.. block egr etc.
Could those of you who have the clues please post them up for me.. so I have an idea about it all.
One of the things I need to know straight up is ...when fitting a bigger dump/exhaust..can the cat be deleted without buggering up ECM...or even if ECM has anything to do with it.
My local zorst bloke seems to think just get rid of cat ...but I need more info.
The GU will be used for extended towing right around this big island ...so it needs to be reliable ...economical ...and well ...basically ...trustworthy.
So please put up any suggestions and how toos on this engine please.
I have searched on here till I,m all searched out ...lotsa blokes have done lotsa chit...but I really want to know those things that are considered a must ...and how to do them.

TIA.

Cheers Keith

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,657 Posts
A quality cat will have bugger all effect on power whilst keeping it legal. No, the ECU can't tell if there is no cat but there is still no point doing it.
Fitting a catch can and blocking the egr will keep your intake clean.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
A decent exhaust and chip will do wonders to it, if blocking your EGR as well its advisable to fit a dawes valve to control your boost better. Yes they are reliable but you have to remember Nissan are assholes and you may have issues with warranty if you start modding it straight away. If you are doing a lot of towing Is the patrol the right Vehicle for you tho?

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
If buying new just be careful that anything you do will not affect your new car warranty. Nissan have told me that upgrading my exhaust will have no afffect on warranty unless the exhaust directly causes a problem. Blocking egr, chips etc are a different story, make sure Nissan dont know about them, or just dont do them. I would also extend the new car warranty, I did and it's good piece of mind. A friend of mine was a service manager at Nissan for 10 years and worked on heaps of crds in his time there. Prior to getting mine I spoke with him at length. He said "just drive it, dont worry about mods, service regularly and you wont have any problems, they are a good reliable engine". He is a Ford guy and isnt overly fussed with Nissans so he has no agenda either way.

·
Registered
nissan gu
23 Posts
Don't do it.
Don't get me wrong. Patrols are good for an intended purpose, but towing is not one of them. I have a love hate appreciation of the Patrol. Mine has not given me any trouble, but they are soooo out-dated. lots of things annoy me about my Patrol. It tows fine, but really leaves you wanting more. Sure you can mod it, chip it, zorst it to make it better, but the $'s realy strat to add up. However you can turn a Patrol into an absolute weapon off road, which is where they shine. Where some other makes will struggle even with mods. I hate the interior ergonomics of the Patrol and the total lake of refinement and tecno stuff that pretty much comes standard with most makes these days. Trip computer, nup, just basic od. Switches hard to reach yep. can't even work the windows unless you turn it on, and those dam vents take a lot to get used to. Now wtf is the mirror switch, and does the rear power outlet even work ? only when on like the front 2. Road manners is somewhat unrefined, but hey, they are competivly priced with the rest of the market. And we are talking the refined market of power, tecno stuff and good ergonomics. Not reused technology from years ago.
My Patrol pisses me off, but I love it.
Think what you will do in your Patrol. As I said they are awesome, but lack in so many areas that others shine. Horses for courses.
I'd go for a Holden Colorado 7 for touring and towing. But I would not venture too far into where a Patrol can take you.
Haters gunna hate. Flame suit on.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Don't do it.
Don't get me wrong. Patrols are good for an intended purpose, but towing is not one of them. I have a love hate appreciation of the Patrol. Mine has not given me any trouble, but they are soooo out-dated. lots of things annoy me about my Patrol. It tows fine, but really leaves you wanting more. Sure you can mod it, chip it, zorst it to make it better, but the $'s realy strat to add up. However you can turn a Patrol into an absolute weapon off road, which is where they shine. Where some other makes will struggle even with mods. I hate the interior ergonomics of the Patrol and the total lake of refinement and tecno stuff that pretty much comes standard with most makes these days. Trip computer, nup, just basic od. Switches hard to reach yep. can't even work the windows unless you turn it on, and those dam vents take a lot to get used to. Now wtf is the mirror switch, and does the rear power outlet even work ? only when on like the front 2. Road manners is somewhat unrefined, but hey, they are competivly priced with the rest of the market. And we are talking the refined market of power, tecno stuff and good ergonomics. Not reused technology from years ago.
My Patrol pisses me off, but I love it.
Think what you will do in your Patrol. As I said they are awesome, but lack in so many areas that others shine. Horses for courses.
I'd go for a Holden Colorado 7 for touring and towing. But I would not venture too far into where a Patrol can take you.
Haters gunna hate. Flame suit on.
You have to factor cost in also. You can get a Patrol with bullbar, snorkel etc for 55k. Add an exhaust and chip and have it all tuned up and you will come in well under 60k with a very capable, reliable 4wd/tourer that really needs no more mods. My mate just bought a new Ranger because "the Patrol is outdated". By the time he bought the car, bullbar, snorkel, lift etc and everything else he had to do to try and make it as capable as a Patrol he spent over 70k. I took it 4wding recently (I also own a Ranger and was curious to drive his with the lift), its still nowhere near as capable as my Patrol and is horrible to drive with the leaf springs bouncing all over the place, and I know which one will still be going in 10 years and it wont be the Ranger.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
I like the patrol because it is more basic like that. The less computers and useless crap the better i reckon in a 4x4.

·
Premium Member
25,657 Posts
Considering that it is easy to get 190rwhp for under $ 3000. A CRD is a good option for towing too.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Interesting skeg, not that I have one nor will ever want a crd but are those results with a new turb and remap only?
Or upgraded everything else, cooler, snorkel etc as well?!
Anddddd has there been any long term results with the said truck?
Ta

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
You have to factor cost in also. You can get a Patrol with bullbar, snorkel etc for 55k. Add an exhaust and chip and have it all tuned up and you will come in well under 60k with a very capable, reliable 4wd/tourer that really needs no more mods. My mate just bought a new Ranger because "the Patrol is outdated". By the time he bought the car, bullbar, snorkel, lift etc and everything else he had to do to try and make it as capable as a Patrol he spent over 70k. I took it 4wding recently (I also own a Ranger and was curious to drive his with the lift), its still nowhere near as capable as my Patrol and is horrible to drive with the leaf springs bouncing all over the place, and I know which one will still be going in 10 years and it wont be the Ranger.
Lol, 70k on a ranger...
Just buy a 62 and be done with it :) Utes are a dog ****e platform!!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Just underpowereddddddddddddd!!
I'm not a hater of the zd/crd but bloody hell they are pathetic in this day and age... Drove a mates one on the beach today while away for the wknd, auto stocko crd, put my foot down and nothing happened.... I went is that it? Yeah....
People who say the are enough are kidding em selves!

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Just underpowereddddddddddddd!!
I'm not a hater of the zd/crd but bloody hell they are pathetic in this day and age... Drove a mates one on the beach today while away for the wknd, auto stocko crd, put my foot down and nothing happened.... I went is that it? Yeah....
People who say the are enough are kidding em selves!
Tell your mate to take it back to Nissan and find what's wrong with it. My stock crd spends 1-2 months a year on the beach driving in the sand all day, and there are plenty of stock ones all over the island. The auto crd goes great in the sand, with an exhaust and chip I can only imagine theyd be heaps better again. If your mate's is really that bad there's pobably something wrong.

·
Registered
nissan
174 Posts
I would pick a crd GU auto over a 4.2 any day for sand
I have owned both so I am qualified to comment I wont engage in a flaming war so don't bother
My modded 4.2 would overheat after sustained soft sand driving lets say 20min my crd auto stick it in low range and would drive all day with out overheating in the sand the same went for long hills

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
I would pick a crd GU auto over a 4.2 any day for sand
I have owned both so I am qualified to comment I wont engage in a flaming war so don't bother
My modded 4.2 would overheat after sustained soft sand driving lets say 20min my crd auto stick it in low range and would drive all day with out overheating in the sand the same went for long hills
We'd heard a few people say this, and just good things in general regarding the auto crds in sand ,and it was a consideration when we got ours because of the amount of sand driving we do.

·
Registered
nissan
174 Posts
in addition to my prev post I must admit the best 4wd I have driven on the beach was my jeep with the v6 diesel merc motor but that is not what this post is about.
I would be trying to get the dealer down a lot more given its a fleet type of deal they should be doing better.
I would also try multiply dealers even if they are not local given your in orange I would hit up all the Sydney dealers as well
I would also try a different exhaust place fair enough change the exhaust to something more free flowing but keep it legal plenty of good options out there that retain a high flow cat that is fit for the job.
I can also confirm what Ralph said about the exhaust and Nissan warranty I have been told exactly the same and will swap mine over in a few weeks to a 3" system.
In regards to erg block I would never mention it to the dealer and remove before serving if serviced at the dealer.
If your budget stretched another 10K maybe even look at the Y62
All the best in your decision

·
Premium Member
25,657 Posts
Interesting skeg, not that I have one nor will ever want a crd but are those results with a new turb and remap only?
Or upgraded everything else, cooler, snorkel etc as well?!
Anddddd has there been any long term results with the said truck?
Ta
I believe this one is a remap, forefront turbo and Chinese copy of the hpd intercooler.
Have a look at the Diesel Power Unlimited FB page. He gets pretty bloody good results. :)

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
Don't do it.
Best advice! Why would you buy a car completely unsuited for the task is beyond me? :rolleyes:

OP, I'm assuming you intend to do a lot of touring around Australia so Y61 is nothing but compromise for that task.

Lets face it, Y61 is a poor vehicle for towing and carrying essential large loads at long distances.

Consider just this little ugley truth about Patrol's carrying capacity out of showroom floor; it is only 550 kg!

So, start adding usual 4WD stuff to it and before you know it you'll push the vehicle in to illegal overweight territory.

Mine is currently sitting empty at 2,850 kg (max legal GVM at 3050 kg) without me even sitting in it.

It "only" has bullbar, rear bar with wheel & jerry carrier (normally off), rock sliders, roof rack, drawers, second battery....

I'd hate to know what it weighs when loaded for the trip:
Extra spare wheel (40 kg), RV tent (19 kg) Maxtracks (10 kg) 2x 20 L Jerry cans (40 kg) 2x 20 water cans (40 kg) Hi-lift jack (14 kg) ....food/beer/gas bottle/cooker/chairs/tables/sleeping bags, spare parts and recovery equipment.... guess another 500 kg + :headwall:

It is only a matter of time before transport departments around the country start to warm to an idea pulling over 4WDs and putting them on scales. Fines are huge!

If your idea of travelling with overloaded vehicle of beaten track hoping nothing is gonna break/fail and good luck to you.

I only wish I did my home work right!

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan gu
23 Posts
Yep, horses for courses. My CRD Auto is fn awesome in the sand, and does pretty well offroad for a standard 4b. But it lacks poorly in every other way.

I pull up on a cutting where people get bogged in the sand, and I just take off no problems. The CRD is awesome for sand, and it's the combination of low power and auto that you can take off in second that allows it to be.

Prety much everything else :headwall:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu6
1,601 Posts
Im pretty happy with my crd.
If you want a reliable car then nothing needs to be done.
But some people seem to have issues with fuel economy.
I have had no such issues.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts