Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to see how many members I can get to a Schwitzer Turbo Club.

I'll start at number #1 ,

Just don't expect a slab from me at Xmas , or for your Birthdays! :p

·
Registered
nissan
642 Posts
I will be Number 2 - my turbo goes BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! on throttle close

·
Registered
nissan patrol
817 Posts
i'll be #3 i love my switzer
the water to air intercooler makes for a great combo

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
Are these a good Quality Turbo? I just realized its whats fitted to my Shorty....with an Air 2 Air intercooler (front mounted)

So i guess im #4

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G'day all, knew I couldn't be the only one !

They are a great reliable turbo, and come in whats commonly know as the Denco kit.

I am interested to know what sort of boost people are running.

I am discovered that i was only running 4psi after I fitted a boost gauge, currently running 7psi.
When I have the laminova intercooler on soon , am going to get a new boost actuator and try 15psi.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
how much prep work did u do to the motor to fit a larger turbo?

pump, injectors?

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only had the td42 a couple of months, the chap put the turbo on as soon as the truck was out of warranty.
Luckily so me I have a receipt for the IP rebuild last year, that the original owner did so that saved a few bucks.

He had a new clutch put in at the same time, and when the mechanic told him the work involved in refitting the gearbox (due to weight) he said "if i'd know you had to do that I would have got you to recondition the gearbox!. Can't win them all .

The motor had been rebuilt at some stage due to a water pump failure, so I'm working on it being around the 100to 150k mark. The engine rebuilders computer had crashed and the older files are gone .

The upside is after the motor blew , he bought a chevy suburban to tow his van , so its mainly been pottering around town.

There is this Holy Grail, come lofty notion of everything being perfect at the same time, but its a very expensive ideal. The reason my pump was reconditioned last year was because its seals were gone and the diesel leaked back to the tank if you let it sit for any period of time. I. through necessity ie funds ,I subscribe to the , If it ain't broke, don't fix it ! Team.

With you engine swap/rebuild i guess you have to decide if the labour cost of removing the IP or clutch in say a year is the same cost as the part replacement now when its already out ! Still doesn't make it any easier to digest in a big lump though.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts