Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of us have tried Scuba Diving and where are some of the places here and overseas you have dived.

I'll start.

Open Water Diver

Places Dived

Sydney Harbour
Xmas Island (with Whale Shark) holy cow they are big
Darwin Harbour (WWII Wrecks)
Great Barrier Reef
Jervis Bay
WA Coastline (various)
Kavieng PNG (Japannese Zero Wreck)
Rabual
Port Moresby
Manus Island
Persian Gulf
South Africa Coast
Auckland Harbour

Would have to say that PNG Diving was the clearest water I have ever dived.

Interested to hear OP dive spots and experiences.:punkrock:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
817 Posts
went out for a dive thismorning looking for a few cray fish

ive dived from busselton up to exmouth in wa in various spots one of my favourite dives is rottnest island and also the ningaloo reef.
cheers
Roddo

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
One of the things I have wanted to do for a long time. Uncle does a lot and ranks around Wilsons Prom to be the best, which is handy as its near the holiday house. Problem is, its one of the Great White hotspots with the odd diver vanishing off the face of the earth. The maldives is also supposed be be great. Need more days in the week.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts

·
Ring In..... for now
nissan
282 Posts
I'm hoping to get to Fiji for a Hol with the wifey next year, planning to do a course there. Been wanting to do it for ages!!

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
Yep one here, Open water ticket :)

Had if for 9 months now and i love it!!!

Photo Of me taking a Photo :)

Weedy sea dragon

Blue ringed Octopus

Great Fun

·
Registered
nissan
202 Posts
Divemaster here...way over 10000 dives

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Open water diver here, certified in Madang in PNG in 1994 while in country with the Australian Volunteers Abroad program based in Wewak in the East Sepik Province.

Lots and Lots of war wrecks, you name it, boats, fighters with guns still in them, just everywhere. Remnants of the Pacific campaign of the occupied areas of Northern PNG during WWII.

Wewak's Wom Beach is where the Japanese officially surrendered their Pacific Campaign and i was there for the 50th anniversary. War stuff everywhere.

Used to go to Wom beach when nothing else to do as the trees where to the water line with shade on the beach and 15m off shore was a coral reef wall from 4m deep to 12m deep and was just perfect to spend an hour just cruising around enjoying the experience. did it often.

As per the comments from others above. The water in PNG is some of the clearest in the World => 100ft+ on a good day.

The schools of fish were just extraordinary. MASSIVE in numbers. Lots of Sharks, Lots of Turtles, dugongs, Tuna, Mackerel, Sharks. did i mention sharks. Lots of them.

My first dive out of certification had me sitting at 80ft on a rock with a dozen white tip reef sharks doing circles, very cool.

I was there for 2 years and for the last year did 3 to 4 dives a week into virgin water. Rented a local banana boat and just went and found a bomby and got wet. Sooo much to see.

Water temp was 29 degrees and no sea lice so boardies only.

Did the live aboard thing out of Cairns on the way home from PNG and was a little disappointed to be honest after being spoiled in the Diving Mecca. The biggest thing i notices was the visibility, it was good in FNQ but NOTHING on PNG. And the size of the schools of fish were uncomparable, truly uncomparable.

Haven't been wet for a few years now = TOO bloody cold down here.

·
Registered
449 Posts
a lot around Sydney and Botany, inside and outside the harbours, Jervis Bay is pretty memorable.
Terrigal, Pt Stephens, Yamba, Port Mac.
Percy Islands,Boring, Townsville bloody Harbour (DDS!),Port Noarlunga, Cape Jaffa, that one scored a visit from a 15' Great White! It's a hell of an experience watching your gauges decline as a BIG White cruises up and down reef between you and the boat!
Thailand was nice for the warm water.
Fiji the same, and the cliffs that just dissapear down into the black!

Haven't dived for about 5 years now, the wettie shrunk!!

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Did a NAUI course at Shell Harbour NSW when I was 21, but haven't been back in the water much since then. Although I did half a dozen good dives in Fiji in 2003. Getting back into it is on the to-do list but might have to wait till the kids are old enough to come along. The ocean will probably be at 60 degrees by then...

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Learnt to dive when I was 17 under the OLD New Zealand Underwater Divers Assoc.
Spent a few years diving around The Marlborough Sounds, Motonau, Kaikoura and Banks Peninsula.

Dived on the Mikhail Lermontov 3yrs after it sank in the Sounds.
Lived in Perth for awhile and crossed my qualifications over to PADI open water diver - Advanced - Rescue diver and then completed Divemaster level...all round Rottnest Is.

Dived the outer Agincourt ribbon reefs off Port Douglas in 2004/05. Operator wanted my log book for verification...couldn't even begin to estimate the number of dives i've done and I gave up the logging after a year, it'd be in the high thousands.

Camping and 4wding mostly ties up my spare time now but we go to Haast (South Westland) frequently and all ways get out for a dive there, mates down there have a big dive/fishing charter boat :punkrock:.

So I've been diving for over 30 years now and despite now only diving a few times a year if that - i'd never ever sell my gear.

When I was in Perth we did a dive into the aquarium in Wanneroo...they said "Forget the sharks - don't watch the sharks - WATCH THE BLOODY TURTLE and keep your hands clenched cos it'll nip ya fingers off" LOL - BIG sucker it was too!!

I'm determined to go cage diving with Great Whites as well one day...think you can do that off Adelaide?

Also spent a year living in Whangarei at the top of the North Island in 2006...spent nearly every weekend diving around the Poor Knight's.

I've been in the boat after a dive and heard HEAPS of people (tourists) say that that was a shyte dive because the water temp was ONLY 21deg and the vis was ONLY 10metres. I just shake my head...most of the diving around here is (and I was doing a lot of winter diving) from 7-15deg, the vis is usually anywhere from a foot in front of your mask to 2metres and thats on a good day!

Imagine how i felt diving 60k's out to sea off fnq in 60 feet of water with the temperature at 28deg and 80-90 feet vis!!!!

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
got certified in 1991, currently rescue diver cert, heaps of dives all over the place would love to do PNG maybe on the cards..

places:

most of the reefs off cairns
moreton island wrecks
Tassy - freakin cold
canada - vancouver island and mainland - even more freakin cold
- wrecks, six gill sharks, dams, rivers
- commercial abalone diver for 3 months before i had to recover my dive buddy from the bottom who narked out and died.
carribean - amazing, BVI's and surrounding islands (not as good as some of the lesser known reefs in cairns though.
magnetic island, townsville - amazing manta and eagle rays there absolutely huge.
Japan - hokkaido and few wrecks
Hawaii - all over (about 5 spots on Owaho - where honolulu is not all over hawaii islands)
Parts of the States - ocean and lakes
weipa - i know only once too many freakin crocs and sharks here (tiger, bull, hammerhead, etc)
bali - northern side - flogged by tourists though

and no doubt the next place i go on holidays i love it my wife loves it, what a feeling cruising about down there weightless and drifting with the fishes (big and small)

sorry ranting

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You feel like another world down here, like a astronaut, have forgtten to breathe, lol, is so breathtaking, most fun you can have with your clothes (wetsuit) on, just like skydiving.

·
Registered
nissan
443 Posts
I did my open water on PHI PHI island in Thailand and that has been the best diving i have ever experienced. I have dived on the barrier reef shoalhaven and kenya.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Harry, try the Tubes at Jervis Bay, some excellent diving there.

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
done a charter boat dive at hook island in the whitsundays and i must say i was gobsmacked. truely memorable dive that was. would love to get a dive ticket but dont know anybody who would dive with us so havent bothered.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ben, go and do your Dive Ticket, you will be amazed at the people you will meet and then you will never be the same, another expensive hobby, but then again a fantastic one. You are in the perfect State for it. Plenty of people to dive with once you get into the sport. Contact your local dive shop and they they can point you in the right direction.

Enjoy the Bliss and Serenity and you can't hear hear the 'Mrs' nag underwater, LOL

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gees, just on the East Coast, we could a have a Dive Club/ Party from hell. Good to see I am not the only one who likes to escape the Air Breathers World, LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts