Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
663 Posts
most swb and wagons had the h233b rear i believe. all of them had a c200 front. i am one of the lucky ones with a ute, which has a h260 and 4.8 gears to boot, haha. the compliance plate tells you which diff it has and the ratio. from what i understand, HGxx means, general diff, ie h23b, and HHxx means heavy duty, ie h260. the xx is the ratio, so a HG46 would be h233b, with 4.6 gears.

im sure someone will correct me if im wrong...oh, and i am also led to believe that mq's have 29 spline axles, whereas gq's have 31 spline, so centres cant be changed over...

being that i assume yours was cut down from a wagon, it probably has a 4.6 h233b in it. if you are after 4.3s, which i think are the longest, im pretty sure they only came in 4lt petrol and possibly sd33t wagons. but they are probably rare...

·
Registered
663 Posts
well, according to the workshop manual i have, mq's only ever came to aus with 4.1 and 4.3 diffs. and only c200 and h233b. but this must be only mq's because half of my compliance plate doesn't match up with what the manual says it should...it also only lists the 4sp manual transmission, so i'm assuming a fair bit changed with mk's. but, yes, it will say on the compliance plate your diff ratio.

a bit like mine has there, the HH48 bit

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just as a matter of interest i have a 4.0 petty ute out the back is M.K with FS5W81A 5 speed,HH46 diffs...the front diff appears to be a C200,whilst the rear diff carrier/housing is a lot bigger than the H233B.So therefore is the H260 a physically bigger housing/carrier? The diff in this looks huge compared with the H233B i have in my own standard p/up.Cheers,Mark.

·
Registered
663 Posts
pretty sure it was white...it is now green, but needs a respray, lol. its painted in light green killrust atm...and yes, mine has the h260 aswell, big mother of a thing...it does appear that the h260s only came out in MKs whereas mq's only had the h233b...

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
My manual reckoned I had 4.1 diffs and was alerted [on this forum] that I could have 4.3s or even 4.6s. I checked the compliance plate which told me I had 4.3s.
To double check, I jacked the rear of the car up, marked the tyre and a corresponding mark on the floor.
Marked the drive flange and rotated the wheel one full revolution whilst counting the turns on the flange. turned out to be 4.3 and a tad.

Just goes to show,the manual is a guide but not gospel.

Cheers.....Lionel.

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,309 Posts
Hi,

Kinda related, how do you know if you've got a LSD in the MK? I've always wondered...

Thanks in advance,
Martin

·
Registered
663 Posts
normally if you jack the whole rear end up and rotate one wheel, they should both turn the same way...although this isn't very accurate, as mine both rotate the same way, but its an open centre...i guess the only definitive answer is to rip the diff apart and have a look...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Reckon LSD to be dead already. Naturally there's two stickers "LSD" - on the driver's door and on the diff cover. I've discovered the last one once removing rust on the axle. :D
But then I've jacked one wheel and tried to rotate - it goes, but not freely. So LSD works, but in swamp it doesn't help lot. Although I've changed the oil with Castrol Hypoy LS.
If you jack both wheels, rotate one and the other rotates to the same direction - as well as you have LSD, this may mean you have open diff and it has been broken...

Anyway, as far as I can understand, there's no alternatives for ARB rear lock for Y260 Patrol. No DetroitLocker, no Aisin. And there's no other way to operate on our roads...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi guys, people confuse them self's with diff ratios but it is very simple. on your ID plate on the inner right hand front corner of your engine bay Nissan have stamped information relating to your patrol such as Chassie No, Model , Colour and trim colour, Engine type , and Trans Axle. Where the numbers and letters are stamped in the Trans Axle section look at the last four letter/number combination. Eg; SD33 Patrol HH48, standard diff front and heavy duty rear at 4.8 ratio. P40 Patrol with 5 speed, HH46 Heavy duty limited slip rear with standard front diff at 4.6 ratio. SD33T Short W/B Patrol with 5 speed, HG43 standard diff front and rear at 4.3 ratio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try All 4x4 in Newcastle. Nissans rarely break diffs compared to others so they will have lots of them. They freight too. The H260 4.6:1 should be pretty common as most MK diesel utes will have that rear axle, the 4.0L ones are 4.11 usually if they are 4spd. A leaf sprung GQ H260 centre might fit as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is the p40 and L28 petrol diffs not listed in the above ratios.
Every one says check plates on the front guard but things change over the years. As I now have a ute thought is was a sd33t built.
But it was p40 with sd33t plate.
So unsure what diffs it has front and back. But can say it has an open rear diff not LSD it is 1985 year. So doulble check everything before you going to buy one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts