Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crazy idea i had last night, would it be possible to get an EFI system off a new diesel and adapt it to the SD33? if it were, much like carby to efi conversions, im sure there would be a lot of benefits. more power, more consistency, more economy, probably allow more fuel etc. anyone know anything of the EFI systems?

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Ive read something lately about comparing the newer diesels to the older
Common rail Vs older style
The older style dont seem to be that backwards after all

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my house-mates got a new defender turbo diesel, hes put a chip and straight through exhaust on it, is now making 600+Nm torque from a 2.4 4 cyl. seems chalk and cheese to me :) we towed my new datsun on a trailer, couldnt even tell it was there.

ive been doing some reading, seems the common rail runs at a huge pressure, so you can get more fuel in and it also burns better. but then i read that the top of the piston is usually contoured to suit the injector, but really if any diesel efi injector could fit im sure it would work wonders.

·
Banned
nissan
75 Posts
i also wondered about this, i couldnt see it being anymore complicated then replacing injectors and fuel pump and adding a computer and maybe some sensors, i did a quick google search and didnt really get anything substantial on common rail conversions, but that could just be im weak in the force of google lol

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Can't use **** fuel in common rail and they need pumps and injectors replacing much more often. (my injectors have 428,000 on them) CRDs run about 100,000 in cars.
Look at what Landy's done with his troll without going to the dark side!

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
Ha, just take a look at the ol sd33, bang'n n thump'n fer 30 years , no grenades, got the sd33 in the boat, 3600 rpm all day, think'n of shoe'n one into the GU too, no more computer crap.:D Them's an engine;)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
my house-mates got a new defender turbo diesel, hes put a chip and straight through exhaust on it, is now making 600+Nm torque from a 2.4 4 cyl. seems chalk and cheese to me :) we towed my new datsun on a trailer, couldnt even tell it was there.
600+Nm!!!:eek::eek:

Thats even more than the BMW 535D twin turbo diesel!! Almost as much as a 745D! Thats awesome!

·
Registered
nissan
145 Posts
Hay neRok
I Wonder how much the GQ`s 2.8 EFI tubo 6clr is to the sd3.3 .
will it`s injetor pump bolt on to the MQ SD motor and its injetors go in to the sd3.3
Just a thort something to check out.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
Its funny you boys mention this, ive been trying to find out info on fitting the elctronics from a rd28 to a td42 as they both run ve style bosch pumps, main hudle ive hit is being able to tune it, i cant find any software to calibrate it to suit my motor

Would be keen as if you could do it, keep searching and tell me when you find the answer :) :)

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Some good ideas floating around here at the moment lol

SD33ETTi

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
There is a difference between the RD28 injection pumps between the GQ and the GU
I wonder if the SD33s were more advanced overseas ???
Isnt there MKs O/S that have RD28s in them ???

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There is a difference between the RD28 injection pumps between the GQ and the GU
I wonder if the SD33s were more advanced overseas ???
Isnt there MKs O/S that have RD28s in them ???
Europe got the Spanish 260. MK with RD28 but no electronics.

But why would you go electronic?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I Wonder how much the GQ`s 2.8 EFI tubo 6clr is to the sd3.3 .
will it`s injetor pump bolt on to the MQ SD motor and its injetors go in to the sd3.3
Just a thort something to check out.
something like that would be the way to go. i think getting injectors to suit the head would be the hardest part, hopefully they are a common/standard size. i dont think the common rail pump would be a problem, it would fit in place of the current injector pump without much dramas, i would imagine.

Its funny you boys mention this, ive been trying to find out info on fitting the elctronics from a rd28 to a td42 as they both run ve style bosch pumps, main hudle ive hit is being able to tune it, i cant find any software to calibrate it to suit my motor
well im not looking into this anymore, because i dont even have an sd33 lol. but i found a yank forum that was talking about it, and they were going to use the electronics off a duramax, because these can be easily tuned. im not sure what computer the duramax uses, but i wonder if its similar to the ls1 etc computer? if it is, then theres probably an option, because older GM computers (ie vn era commodore) can be tweaked to tune any 4, 6 or 8 cylinder car, with just a resistor and tune swap. im guessing the newer computer is very similar. if the computer is the same as its petrol cousin (obviously a different tune), then you could just use the older computer from a vn v6. these are fully tunable on the cheap, and people use them for conversions etc. see delcohacking.net if you want to explore that avenue.

·
Registered
Nissan
1 Posts
I too faced the same problem two months back. The main problem that existed is the mechanic didn't placed the Injector properly. The problem had become very severe and the consistency of the fuel too is not satisfactory s the inducting levels of the machine is down and not supported to fit and work properly. Could you please provide some more suggestions regarding my problem?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts