Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol rd28t in a 1984 landrover shell
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
straight to the point - recently started getting a violent knocking sound when taking off in first unless i give it very little juice and let the clutch out very slowly, even then it shudders. i can take off in second, put the foot down and drop the clutch and it'll take off smooth enough ergo its just first gear thats problematic. im looking for advice on rebuilding a gearbox, whats the minimum i need to fix this problem and what parts are worthwhile replacing while i have the gearbox on the bench. also, i have a spare engine and gearbox that i picked up a year or two ago for 200 euros but i was informed at the time the 4wd wasnt working, ideally i'd like to rebuild this gearbox so any thoughts on trouble shooting the non runner 4wd would be much appreciated too.

thanks!

·
Registered
mk nissan
20 Posts
The only parts.you can only get at Nissan are syncs and gears. Yet it sounds like the first gear needle roller bearing is shagged. I recently did a full rebuild on gearbox and transfer for around $1500 AUD and took about a week as I sourced all the parts from a local industrial supplier to save on cost but had.to wait.a.couple of days for parts. It's not hard to do but you will want access to a press. I also used a bearing heater which made life.a.he'll of.alot easyier

·
Registered
nissan
175 Posts
been there done that, bought the drivetech kit for $700, did the full rebuild and needed two new gears from japan which cost about $800 at dealer price.....not a fun job unless your thing is gearboxes

save yourself the pain and use the spare gearbox you have......if 4wd is not working swap the transfer with your current one

if you really want to rebuild.....have fun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts