Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MK (SD33T) has been re-powered with an SD33 from an MQ.
One of the Glow Plugs is cracked and needs replacing. I am too far from home to check what Glow Plugs were in it, as I forgot to bring a sample with me.

This SD33 was 24 volt and was fitted into the MK which was of course 12 volt. My problem being, can anyone of you tell me 100% what type of Glow Plugs I need.

The guy at Auto Pro gave me two choices, 11 volt, and 11.5 volt.

I need to be 100% sure on the replacement I choose as I cannot just return them as I live in the bush.

I will be returning home on the weekend, so there is a bit of urgency to this problem.

Thanks

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
The ones in mine are 11V, my 24V bus had 23V glowplugs.

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
Hey Chops, hope ya feeling a lot better, I had a look in the book, no numbers tho.
Coventrys might be your best bet, or ring Ezy Diesels, they would know fa sure:iconbana:

·
nissan
3,026 Posts
Or, Chamberlain Auto Electrics in welshpool, ask for Marty, he'll know.Ask him about the buck shot, and he'll know who sent ya!!:punkrock:

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Simon. I was told there was a big difference in the 11 and 11.5 volt, obviously the voltage, but I don't know the consequence of fitting the wrong ones.

Feeling much better Rod thank you. As good as one can from a near death experience as I would like to get.

I will give those you suggest a ring tomorrow, hopefully they can supply a set at a reasonable price.
Google has nothing for Ezy Diesel, do you have any more contact info Rod?

Edit: Anyone have preference what brand. I was told today the HKT were the NGK equivalent of a spark plug.
This appears not to be true, as I found both NGK and HKT Glow Plugs on the SuperCheap Autos site.

I'm almost positive the HKT 24 volt were in the engine when it was in the MQ.

Cheers

·
nissan
3,026 Posts
Yeah sorry, Ezy diesels are Melbourne, Try Kitsons Diesel services in Stirling cres Hazlemere, 94545617. Marty Chamberlain may not have them in stock, but he will know the ones you want, He could get them in a flash for you, tellim they are for my boat if you want, he's a top bloke.

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**** Kitsons are still going. I sold them a supercharger about 20 years ago.

Thanks for that Rod.

·
nissan
3,026 Posts
Yeah, I dunno if old Huey is still around, but I think the boys are still doin it. If you can't get them before you head off, I could get em and post em, or Nizzbits should be able to get genuine ones up to you, top bloke too, so that's two top blokes I know .he he.:punkrock: Apart from meself that is!!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
im looking on ebay, didnt know there was so much difference. some are 5mm shorter than others, who knows why because as far as i know the heads are the same.

24 volt, 1980 - 1982, HKT - PN120, BOSCH - GPN308
6 Glow Plug 24v Nissan MQ G160 Patrol Diesel SD33 80-82 (eBay item 400168562958 end time 29-Nov-10 21:26:11 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
24 volt, 1982 - 1983, 5mm shorter, HKT - PN124, BOSCH - GPN317
6x Glow Plugs 24 volt Nissan MQ G160 Patrol Diesel SD33 (eBay item 120641645872 end time 01-Dec-10 20:31:14 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
12 volt, suggests all years but 12 volt only 1984+, HKT - PN123, BOSCH - GPN319
6 Glow Plugs Nissan MQ G160 Patrol Diesel SD33 SD33T (eBay item 400172518549 end time 12-Dec-10 19:25:59 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

so thats all that seller has, but then another seller says PN123 are only to 1985 and then the following (but no indication of the difference)
12 volt, 1985 - 1987, HKT - PN132
NISSAN PATROL SD33 SET OF (6) GLOW PLUGS 12V 7/85-8/87 (eBay item 140419430134 end time 18-Dec-10 15:41:53 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im looking on ebay, didnt know there was so much difference. some are 5mm shorter than others, who knows why because as far as i know the heads are the same.
I thought this might be an eye opener for a few people. Its more confusing than you might think.

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your effort neRok, appreciate it. Its confusing, because like you said, the heads appear to be the same, and why not just do a 12 and 24 volt Glow Plug.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Just to throw a spanner in the works
We just fitted 12V glow plugs in my old 24V MQ
It starts easier to ???

We were only getting 11.5V at the main glow plugs power wire ,so having 24V plugs werent getting hot enuf
Get a voltmeter if you can and check the main glow plug power wire
11.5 wont hurt,a bit more power they will glow a bit better
Its really only from "double"glowing that cause the glow plugs to go brittle over time

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,308 Posts
11.5 wont hurt,a bit more power they will glow a bit better
actually it's the other way around, the lower the rated voltage is on the glow plug the more it will glow and the faster it will burn out.

Mine are 11v glow plugs, and it used to be a 24v engine (converted into my MK)

With the 11v ones, my engine starts very easy, even if the battery has been drained a bit over night from a loud stereo in the bush :iconbana:

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Yeah the lower the voltage the hotter they should be.

I was reading something about glow plugs for those 6.5L Chevs, they were using 8V plugs and the were "mushrooming" if you held them on for too long, so you had to take the head(s) off!

Just a usless piece of info for you :lol:

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Total Nissan were hopeless yet again, scrap them people, I recommend Nissan Midland from now on, at least they wanted to help, and tried hard enough. even though they couldn't resolve my problem.

I ended up trying R Moore & Sons Welshpool, who were nice and quite helpful to a degree.
They put me onto Midland Nissan (Peter) who was also quite helpful to a degree. He gave me a Nissan part number 11065 34W00 at a cost of $50 ea, though only 5 in Melbourne.

I was told I needed to have a sample from the vehicle, while a fair statement, I suggested what if the ones in the engine I just bought were the wrong ones, and you are going to sell me more incorrect glow plugs.

So as it stands, nobody can advise me the correct part (type) of glow plugs for an SD33, and that's also looking at Nissan FAST.

If anyone else can help, the engine these glow plugs are for, is from an MQ, and has the cartridge type oil filter.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
so the car is 12 volts, even though the engine used to be 24. this means you have to use the 12 volt plugs, so your options are limited. even if its a pre 82 engine and meant to have long plugs, you cant get long plugs as 12 volt. so just get PN123 above.

the nissan part number you listed is in the reference chart above, thats the short version 24 volt plug.

i bought plugs a few years ago for mine, its pre 82 and i got GPN308 bosch plugs (still have the box), my local auto-one ordered it in for me. takes a couple of days though usually. you could try coventrys, they have a lot of crap but i dont usually have any luck with them. other bet is odin auto parts, its amazing the amount of stuff they have. they are in balcatta.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
I picked up a set of 12v glowies from Repco for about $16 each, cost me less than $100 for the six anyway.

Just went in, told 'em what motor, and the next day they had them in.

I'd had a similar dilemma, but found out eventually that there's not much a problem with what you get. So long as it's close to the voltage of the system it'll be fine.

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To all those that replied, thanks heaps for your input, its people like you that make these forums, and help an old confused bugger like myself, really appreciate it.

I will chase up either the PN123 or the GPN319.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
$50 each for a glow plug :shock:

Look around sheet they can be had of evilbay for about $60 for the lot

What do they really do ???
Like a freekin glow stick,they work or they dont
Anyone have two different brands for a comparison

1 - 20 of 32 Posts