Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
MK Wagon, and an SD33T in pieces...
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I’m currently in the process of installing an SD33 N/A engine in my MK while I rebuild the 33T, and I’m having a problem with the clutch.

Basically, the N/A and this 5 speed have been mated before, and I pulled the N/A off and replaced it with a turbo motor, but still using the smaller N/A clutch.
I pulled the engine out for a rebuild once the clutch inevitably started slipping, as I knew it wasn’t super healthy anyway, and found a turbo flywheel and clutch to use as well. I’ve reinstalled the N/A temporarily using the turbo flywheel and clutch, and a ZD30 throwout bearing. Same slave cylinder, rod, clutch fork, and throwout bearing hub as with the N/A clutch.

The engine is running and I took it for a test drive today, but if I apply anything more than the slightest amount of throttle the clutch starts slipping, and the disengagement happens almost right at the start of the pedal travel, as soon as the master cylinder gets some hydraulic pressure on the slave.
It feels like there’s always some pressure on the pressure plate, enough to make the clutch slip with a small amount of power applied. And so as soon as you push the clutch in a small amount it completely disengages, and re-engages when the pedal is almost completely out.

I am thinking that the turbo engines must have a shorter throwout bearing hub than the N/A engines, as the N/A flywheel and pressure plate are both thinner than the turbo ones, and so I think the turbo flywheel and pressure plate press against the N/A throwout bearing even when the pedal is fully out.

Anyone know what’s going on?
Thanks

Reactions: trev zd30

·
Registered
MK Wagon, and an SD33T in pieces...
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok, might’ve actually made a bit of progress. The turbo throwout bearing, as shown in the Gregory’s manual, sits almost flush with the push tabs on the hub:

Whereas mine, on the N/A hub, has a fair gap in between, I’m assuming because the N/A flywheel and pressure plate both are skinnier and don’t stick as far out from the engine:

Hard to see in that photo, I’ll get a better one once the engine is out and I can have a good look at it.
I reckon that’s the problem, the longer N/A bearing hub is engaging the turbo pressure plate when the engine and gearbox are just bolted together, so I need to track down a turbo bearing hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit:
Also just found out the part that's different is called the 'thrust bearing carrier'.
Makes sense, I forgot that the throwout bearing can also be called a thrust bearing.

Reactions: trev zd30
1 - 2 of 2 Posts