Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I decided it was time to change oil and filter off my new SD33 engine I whacked into the car a few months back (engine had just had all new filters before I put it in)

My engine is of the older kind, with the paper cartridge and let me tell you what a f..king pain it was to deal with that, oil everywhere, and then the seal wasn't tight, so I just spat 6 liters of the good stuff on the ground... FARK! :rolleyes:

So, next oil change will be to change to the canister or separate oil cooler and z9 filters:shock:

Not really a question, rather a rant to a bunch of fellow MQ/K enthusiasts who most likely already know about this frustration :D

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
Yes they are friggin messy
Not a bad idea really, bitta extra protection around the filter
The normal screw on types for the SD33T are near the same price as the canister type

Registered
nissan
Must of been the day for it because I did the oil and filter on my SD33 as well, and yep, its a cartridge filter as well. You need a can of degreeser to clean the engine, and front prop shaft for when you are finished, not to mention a shower a well to clean yourself up.

Oh, and not to mention that you can only get about 1/20th of a turn on the bolt that holds it in a time too!!

As for the filter prices, I ususally get mine from supercheap for around $23 which is not too bad. They didnt have any today, so I went next door to coventrys, and they wanted $50!!! I told the bloke that I was not interested in been ripped off, so he gave me trade price, which was $30.

Has anyone got a the filter for cheaper?

Steery

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I got the filter for $22 from CarBitz in Maroochydore
I will be swapping the fitting over to the never cartridge type

Good to hear I'm not the only one finding these a pain in the neck :) Thought I had lost my touch for a while then hahahaha (especially while I spent 1.5 hours cleaning up 6 liters of oil in the communal car park!!!)

Registered
nissan patrol
Haha, that sucks mate, Both of mine have the later spin on filter :) I've got a Fleetguard filter on it for the initial run in period but after that I'm throwin my remote filter setup on and will run the generic Z9 with an oil cooler and thermostat. Wanted a sandwich plate setup but oh well :( Stupid companys going arse up...

Registered
nissan
Im just about to head to the big smoke in a week to pickup some things, and was going to buy a paper replacement. Whats needed to change it over to the cartridge filter, I may be able to grab that while I'm there instead.

Registered
nissan
I recently got Permacool parts in aus (rocketindustries.com.au), which was damn lucky as they were the only ones to make a spin on oil take off plate for the 2.8 thread.

Some gay reason nissan had to pick a thread (1"-12tpi) that only the RD28 and a porsche 911 use :crazy:

I bought a transdapt dual remote filter head for the replacements from the US for about $55 delivered, so twin Z503s for me. The stock 2.8 oil filter is in much the same position as the SD33 one by the sounds of it, atleast the front diff will never rust.

Registered
nissan patrol
I recently got Permacool parts in aus (rocketindustries.com.au), which was damn lucky as they were the only ones to make a spin on oil take off plate for the 2.8 thread.

Some gay reason nissan had to pick a thread (1"-12tpi) that only the RD28 and a porsche 911 use :crazy:
And Jag too apparently, the V10 and V12s if i'm not mistaken. Gayest oil filter thread ever :shock:

Think i ended up on rocketindustries at one stage but couldn't find anything. Probably mistaken there though

Yep I did end up on there lol. Lack of prices put me off though

Registered
nissan
Just send em an email with the prices mate, they were actually better than overseas once postage was factored in.

Only cost me $34 for the adaptor from rocket when it would have been $39 from USA if they could actually supply them.

The sites I tried were jegs, summit racing, carshopinc, alamoautos and a heap others - no permacool gear what so ever.

Registered
nissan
I'm glad I had the SD33T sitting around, I grabbed the spin on holder off that and chucked it on the SD33 when she was out last. Only problem is that the shiny clean Baldwin filter looks hell out of place against the rest of the dirty bloody thing :p

Registered
nissan patrol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Mick,

is the size that we need 1"-12?

Cheers
Martin

Registered
nissan
Hi Martin,
I am not sure whether that question is directed to me.
Yes "-12 is the correct thread.
You don't need and thread adapters as that is the actual thread in the housing that screws onto the SD33 spin on housing.
Cheers,
Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.