Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone bolted a GQ 5 speed behind a sd33t

i got a sd33t good strong motor i was thinking maybe bolt that into my current GQ and piss off the tb42 as it hates getting wet and it currently hates me :( plus im broke as fark and this would be a simple answer to alot of my problems for short to medium term use

just a random late night thought and thought to myself surely some one has put the GQ 5 speed in there MQ/MK

if you have let me know what problems you had to over come with bolting the box to the motor things like clutch, adapter kit (if one was even needed) ect

Cheers Evil

·
Registered
nissan patrol
651 Posts
I'd love the same thing hahaha. I know there was a rare as hens teeth TD powered MQ released (links on this forum somewhere) so you can get plates to go that way, not sure about the other :S

Pretty sure the TD and SD33T clutches are the same as well. Past that, nfi

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
r u the same evil that had the MQ and then sold it and got a v8 40 series?

havent heard of anyone mating a sd33 to a GQ box. gq have the centre rear output so not very suitable for use in MQ, plus MQ already have a bolt in 5 speed so no real reason to go GQ.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
GQ box on a SD motor ???
The rear diff are off centre on the MQ/MK the GQ have a centred rear diff
Think that in its self could pose an issue

Why would ya possibly swap an TD42 for a SD33 ???
Be a step backwards,wouldnt it ???

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I'd love the same thing hahaha. I know there was a rare as hens teeth TD powered MQ released (links on this forum somewhere) so you can get plates to go that way, not sure about the other :S

Pretty sure the TD and SD33T clutches are the same as well. Past that, nfi
that was in the european 260 series patrols. and the clutch plate is the same size but flywheel etc are most likely different.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
A TB42 will absolutely smash even the tuffest SD33T

Only advantage would be the difference in fuel consumption

Trust me on this one,i joke with the minister that i want a run when my utes finished
My SD33T MK ute against her GQ TB42 auto
I think shes still on the floor larfin

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
I was also thinking of this option for my Mk wagon purely for the ability of lower gearing.

So being a lwb the off centre diff of the Mk won't really be a problem, if so a rear GQ diff can be made to fit.

The ability to use the td42 clutch is awesome being that the GQ 5 speed has the same spline and I'm guessing the same length input shaft.

The spacer between the Sd block and gearbox may be able to be redrilled to suit the Td 5 speed then the Sd starter will be retained.

So by my thinking this should be very possible as an upgrade for mq/k wagons and utes but yup have to agree it's a step backwards for GQ.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
r u the same evil that had the MQ and then sold it and got a v8 40 series?

havent heard of anyone mating a sd33 to a GQ box. gq have the centre rear output so not very suitable for use in MQ, plus MQ already have a bolt in 5 speed so no real reason to go GQ.

yes it is me nerok lol

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GQ box on a SD motor ???
The rear diff are off centre on the MQ/MK the GQ have a centred rear diff
Think that in its self could pose an issue

Why would ya possibly swap an TD42 for a SD33 ???
Be a step backwards,wouldnt it ???
no want to swap a TB42 out and put in a SD33t
reason why
(1) i have the old sd33t out of my shorty again
(2) im a cheap c|u|n|t who cant afford to do a TD42 or V8 conversion just yet

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i own a tb42 and have owned a sd33t running 15 psi and i seriously think the sd33t is just as "fast" as the tb42 (thats my opinion) and really its a fourby not a race car (yet) and if i can still sit on 110kmh on the highway and have a better motor for four wheel driving that wont stop when a mist of water goes on anything and i have it sitting here and its an easy and cheap bolt up wouldnt it be better having an sd33t GQ i know it sounds weird and alot of ppl would probley turn there noses up but i think it would be the better option im all about using what resources i have on hand if i had the money atm to go a td42 then i wouldnt hesitate it would be happening as we speak

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Your comparing a diesel that will run near under water to a petrol which cant stand a dropa water
Comparing glow plugs ,Vs spark plugs well thats a no brainer especially regarding water
Would the SD33T comply with emission regs on the GQ ???
If ya want a boat buy a boat,know what i mean
If water crossings was the order of the day i wouldnt buy a pettie
Sell the SD33T,buy a TD42

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
that was in the european 260 series patrols.
No, never offered. There are some 260's wich are converted but not from factory

·
Registered
331 Posts
i reckon it would be great btw if you can make it work cheap. i love the sd33t great motor

they take a flogging in there stride, hope it works

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm keen on this thought too. but mostly as a putting the 5spd from a gq behind the mq sd33 because I wanted the mq shorty not the gq. But if I can get the advantage of the 5 spd and possibly then use the transfercase also I'll be able to find more options on the reduction gears side of things too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts