·
Registered
nissan safari
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys long time reader first time poster
Full birthday overhaul of mk swb 87
I've become stuck on searches trying to find out what the sensor
On boost side of inlet does?, just above BOV.
Do I need it? And what's the best replacement for BOV?
if it matters I have Edic motor dissconected, using manual choke
Any input would be much appreciated
Cheers
Jon

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,262 Posts
Welcome mate , the BOV you speak of is a over boost valve set to around the 8-10 psi mark it open up when you boost pressure is to high , factory boost is around the 7 mark. If you want to up the boost ( 10 is safe) you will need to block this up .
You can either weld it shut or go to a plumbing store and buy a brass bung and it will screw right in . I have done the latter and tapped a thread in it and is where I run my boost gauge from .

As for your edic motor , it is fine as is , but there pretty easy to fix just read the edic
Motor thread in the bible .

Sent from Alf Stewart's rape dungeon .

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,262 Posts
The line in the back of the motor on the inlet manifold is for your boost compensator.

Sent from Alf Stewart's rape dungeon .

·
Registered
nissan safari
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that , as for the electrical sensor (2 thick wires)
Above the boost pressure reg but in the inlet can I remove that?, It seems
To have manual boost reference to pump also

·
Registered
nissan safari
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah thats what i thought , i know motors not factory to truck im guessing out of forklift judging on brackets, and who ever stuck motor in added this sensor to loom? im goin to try upload pics

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,720 Posts
The engine could be from a truck too, if you're not positive it came from a forklift.
My first thought is that it's inlet air temp probe, but I'm not sure why that would be necessary...

Given that it looks like a pretty large probe, my best guess is that it's a pre heater to warm the intake air in cold climates.

·
Registered
nissan safari
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wires dissapear into drivers side main loom and look like they have been there a while , trucks actually a safari jap import , but has all the mk characteristics . present heaters is wat I'm think now to , either way I'll remove and plumb my gauge there, as I'm still on the fence about a showoff valve.
Many thanks tho fellas , this sites awesome

·
Registered
Nissan
171 Posts
Well done Nzer , that;s the way to go .

Looks to me to be a temp or heat probe ( as the other guys reckon ) .

It;s gonna love that bloody thing gone ...that and that china-mans hat ( Oem relief valve )

If it was me ..that is .

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,720 Posts
Nzer, if you want to do a bit of experimenting before you rip it out, hook it up, just with power and a switch and see if it makes any difference to starting. I've never seen one before, so would be interested to know.
If it is a pre heater, I'd imagine the harness woulf eventually hook up into the glow plug harness

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
It is a pre heater.
They are fitted standard in colder climat.
it pre heats the intake air

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
It's a resistor for afterheating system - gives lower voltage to glowplugs after startup for several seconds. It's cooled by intake air, thats why it's there.

·
Registered
nissan safari
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahh makes sense? Im manually glowing anyway so no worry , many thanks tho fellas

·
Registered
nissan MK
43 Posts
Hi Coils, reading with much interest on the BOV.
Question: If you have taken the BOV off and replaced it with the bung and line to the gauge, where have you plumed in the BOV? Is the BOV vented into the system or vented outside? Do you use a BOV?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts