Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk swb
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what brands people have gone with for their exhausts on a turbo diesel?
I did a search and didn't come up with much.

I'm in brisbane by the way. I looked up Beaudesert exhaust and judging by their website they don't do one off the shelf. But i'll give them a call later anyway.

What do you guys recommend? It looks like 3 inch is the go. Do I need a dump pipe or can the exhaust come straight off the turbo?

Also what do you think I should be paying? (SWB model)

Anything else to consider?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
nissan
220 Posts
Custom made exhaust would be your best bet. And from what I've read the standard dump pipe is a restriction so a bigger one is better. Just find a good exhaust place. Theres a place in Ippy called scott rods that do a good job. I reakon you'd be looking at about $650 - $800 including a dump pipe. But then you should have it tuned by a diesel engineer. Make sure timing is right and get them to wind up the boost and fuel to match. I was looking at doing all of this to my mk but have decided I want to upgrade to a GQ soon. Hope this helps ya mate.

·
Registered
103 Posts
the dump pipe on these things is tinnny, about 2inch.

the first mod i did for my SWB sd33td was to remove the muffler. The entire system is like 2inch with a single muffler. I cut this out and replaced i with a straight piece of pipe. This cost me nothing as we have an angle gringer and a welder, the exhaust place gave me the pipe.

This helped a fair bit and gave the car a nice turbo note, an it was not to loud.

if you want to spend some money then i would recomend upgrading to a full 3inch system. The dump pipe will be hard, as it goes a round the starter motor. The rest is pretty simple and anyplace should be able to make you a 3inch system.

i changed turbos to a skyline one, used the factory dump (2.5inch) then to a 3inch side pipe. This gave it a much louder note and 'felt' like it had more power.

* note the stock skyline turbo is not a bolt in job, so unless u blow your standard turbo, its nbot worth doing.

my 2cents.

·
Registered
316 Posts
here is what i have done, well sort of, fitted a denco GU42TD 3 inch dump, then had to back to std cause never had time to finish exhaust.

YES a std Gu 4.2TD dump is the same bolt pattern. they are a HT-18 and a sd33T is a HT-15. a heap of pics to show haw crap a std sd33t dump is, one pic is a cut through of the bump where the bends are. All over lay flanges are 3 inch.

Was as simple as it looks, spaced the turbo out, replaced dump bolts, longer exhaust manifold studs. Will need to heat wrap prob both stater and dump, but cant see it being too bad.

Big point to note is on std dump there is fark all for the wastegate exhaust gasses to free flow. if you look at the std dump you will see it basically is hitting a wall and having to squeeze past into the dump.

Pic 1. spacers on turbo. T3, 10mm each
pic 2. overlay on std dump pipe at turbo end.
pic 3. overlay of cut section of std dump. The S bend part.
pic 4. clearance of starter. ( std GU dump but denco is the same)
Enjoy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
i got a quote from my exaust guy 2 weeks ago allow 550 for parts and labour for a SWB
thats 3" mandrel bent system from turbo back so once i upgraded my stock turbo and made my dump pipe it gets the new exaust also

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,295 Posts
hey pongo, have you got a pic of the cutdump pipe from the side or a different angle??????,, does that need to welded??? i'm trying to picture it but it's hard to work out when i'm not looking at mine. hope this does sound to stupid.

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Is it possible to buy the flanges for the back of the turbo so you can make your own dump pipe?

Group buy lazer cutting? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
they sell them on ebay but not sure about the stock ones iv herd buy the skyline one but you have to mod it slightly or some thing

·
Registered
316 Posts
hey pongo, have you got a pic of the cutdump pipe from the side or a different angle??????,, does that need to welded??? i'm trying to picture it but it's hard to work out when i'm not looking at mine. hope this does sound to stupid.
pretty much between the bends it is square. out of the turbo it turns right then turns down. its between these bends i cut through. Can see how restrictive the std dump is. As soon as my air lockers are in ill get the exhaust sorted again this time for good.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk swb
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks pongo thats interesting stuff. so your saying a GU dump would fit also. But how big is a standard one? smaller than your Denco one i'm guessing?

pongo and unkn0wn you are right the standard dump pipe is tiny by comparison.

Thanks guys. I'd be happy if i could get a good quality job done for 550.
keep it coming.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yep a GU one will fit, thats whats bolted on mine, BUT you do need to space out the turbo. Std Gu one is about the same dia as sd33t, BUT the Gu dump allows the wastegate gasses to flow alot better. IF i can find the std MQ dump still here ill take a pic and show you how bad they are.

I'd be happy to sell my std GU dump as i know have a denco one here ready to go. The denco dump is only about 2.5-2.75 and not the 3 inch they claaim, but it should flow gasses alot better and also has the pyro hole ready to go.

Yep nerock your setup is sweet as. i have a fresh rebuilt std turbo so i dont need to upgrade for a while yet so thats why i have gone down the path i chose. I also went the cast dump cause ive seen semi's break pipes off at the flange,etc and i know my patrol gets a much harder time than my work truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts